Thanks a million! We’re grateful for a great October

November 1, 2011 at 10:02 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle online | 24 Comments

Before the first day of November ends … we wanted to say thank you for October.

For one … it was the first time ever that WSB registered at least one million pageviews in a single calendar month. Certainly, there was a lot of news this month … October started with the Amanda Knox decision and ended with a week of “Viadoom” traffic-tracking, with a sunken vessel and fuel slick at midmonth. By the last moment of Halloween night, the counter (per Google Analytics) hit 1,081,362 pageviews, more than 100,000 past the previous record back in August.

For two … we wanted to thank you for the votes that topped the “Best of Western Washington” category for the second consecutive year. We aren’t much for campaigning, so hearing that so many people still found the contest and took the time to vote for WSB was heartening.

For three … this marks the start of our fifth year as a business, a milestone many small family businesses aren’t lucky enough to reach. WSB is what some call “bootstrapped” – no investors, no grants, no co-owners, no rich relatives/friends, no day jobs. The 24/7 community-collaborative news, information, and discussion you find here is made possible by the local businesses that choose to gain exposure to more than 100,000 people each month by sponsoring WSB; we thank them for their support.

Your newstips, your reader reports, your comments, your photos, your presence are the indispensable ingredients. Thank you so much for choosing to be here (same goes for those in the WSB communities on Facebook and on Twitter) and to share information with your community – whether it’s a crime report, a crash, a lost/found pet, or a breathtaking sunset photo – via WSB. We could go on with more gratitude … including a huge thanks to the reporters/photographers who work with us … but there’s a story waiting to be written!
Tracy (WSB editor/co-publisher, on behalf also of co-publisher Patrick)

1. CONGRATULATIONS & CONTINUED SUCCESS!

Comment by Aman — 10:21 pm November 1, 2011 #

2. WSB, you are the best!

Comment by happy — 10:27 pm November 1, 2011 #

3. Here, here!

Comment by david — 10:43 pm November 1, 2011 #

4. Our family really appreciates the work you do. WSB rocks!

Comment by raincity — 7:37 am November 2, 2011 #

5. You guys are just another reason why the West Seattle Community is so AWESOME!!!

Comment by Santa — 7:43 am November 2, 2011 #

6. Congratulations on this important milestone!

Comment by Fabulousem — 7:52 am November 2, 2011 #

7. A toast to the BEST of Western Washington. You deserve it. *insert gigantic gold star here*

Comment by Debbie — 8:28 am November 2, 2011 #

8. You deserve this award!! I feel so connected to the community thanks to your hard work!!

Comment by elma — 8:29 am November 2, 2011 #

9. like!

Comment by J — 8:51 am November 2, 2011 #

10. THANK YOU WEST SEATTLE BLOG! If something is happening on the West side. You guys are on it!!! We check the blog a few times a day. Thank you again for all your hard work and all the hours you each put in.

Comment by Totally Confused — 8:59 am November 2, 2011 #

11. It’s because of your hard work that so many in the community have responded positively. Thanks (as always) for everything.

Comment by The Velvet Bulldog — 9:12 am November 2, 2011 #

12. Back at’cha, Tracy & Patrick (and the Junior Member) – congratulations on a great October and all the wonderful milestones! I can’t thank you enough for all you do for this community.
    Whenever I think about moving off The Peninsula to live closer to work, I remember — but — THE BLOG!!! There would be no WSB!!! How would I survive without THE BLOG??? :)

Comment by Valerie — 9:13 am November 2, 2011 #

13. Thank YOU for being a shining example of the good that can come from the Digital Age. Rather than being more isolated at our computers, we are more connected to local events, service opportunities, businesses and our neighbors.

Comment by Kelly — 9:33 am November 2, 2011 #

14. I second Kelly’s comment. The Internet was supposed to make us paranoid, isolated mole people and WSB has been one example of how wrong that prediction was. Sidenote: I’d be interested in a behind-the-scenes look at what goes on. Considering that there are stories posted at all times of the day, the schedules must be chaotic…to say the least.

Comment by NFiorentini — 10:15 am November 2, 2011 #

15. I did not do much voting but I made sure I voted for the Blog. You are my life line to West Seattle, can’t start my day without you!

Comment by Star 55 — 11:35 am November 2, 2011 #

16. What they said!

Comment by LivesinWS — 11:45 am November 2, 2011 #

17. NF – re: behind the scenes. It’s somewhat dated but the Flip the Media program at UW did a cute little mini doc three and a half years ago that’s on YouTube. Sorry to say we don’t look any better with age – my hair’s longer, both of us have grayer hair now, and our then-12-year-old is now a baritone – plus, I work on a MacBook Pro in the living room instead of in the laundry room (which is now my co-publisher’s office) – but we’re in the same rundown house with the same garishly painted kitchen, both seen in the clip. (And my voiced wish to be “taken seriously” doing this has LONG since come true!) http://youtu.be/fjkXt4s0rGQ
    TR

Comment by WSB — 12:08 pm November 2, 2011 #

18. You know, I’m on this site at least 2-3 times a day. Not only is it well written with up to date information but it makes me feel more a part of my community. I click on the advertisers to try to shop more in WS and as a small business owner I like to see what other businesses are doing. When I open up a location in WS I will certainly advertise here. Thank you for such a valued product.

Comment by heather — 1:10 pm November 2, 2011 #

19. Congrats, Tracy, Patrick, JMoT, and Contributors!

And thanks for creating a Digital Community, of real live West Seattle Neighbors, some of which have become friends, and many of which have helped myself and so many others these last several years!

Mike

Comment by miws — 2:22 pm November 2, 2011 #

20. Thank you, WSB, for your commitment, diligence and journalistic integrity. We are SO lucky to have you!

Comment by Danielle — 2:43 pm November 2, 2011 #

21. Hey Thanks a million for everything that you have done to help our community. My parents who live in Arizona read your site daily. We really rely on you guys. Keep up the great work.

Comment by Steve Hodson — 9:58 pm November 2, 2011 #

22. Congratulations! I can’t imagine life without the WS Blog. You don’t just report news. You support, create, and celebrate community in West Seattle. Life here really wouldn’t be the same without you.

Comment by KL — 10:45 pm November 2, 2011 #

23. You guys are great! I can’t imagine life without the West Seattle Blog. This is my main source of news since it is all about my local community. You keep me informed on school discussions, crime, weekend events, whale sightings, park improvements and many other items I care about. Keep up the great work!

Comment by D-mom — 7:41 am November 3, 2011 #

24. Congrats WSB…you’re the best! Thanks for all your hard work at keeping our community connected and informed all these years and hopefully for many years to come. I enjoy reading the WSB everyday with my morning coffee. Also, thanks for sharin’ your inside look of how and where it all began. BTW – your son has a cool name – Torin.

Comment by sun*e — 9:15 am November 3, 2011 #