West Seattle coyotes: Sighting near the beach

October 6, 2011 at 4:04 pm | In Coyotes, West Seattle news, Wildlife | 22 Comments

Alki’s Larry Carpenter forwarded this one:

A neighbor in the 32xx block of 64th Ave SW sent me this this morning:

“At the start of my run this morning at 5:30 am, I saw a coyote chasing a collared yellow tabby cat down 64th towards Beach Drive. I followed them and after some time, was finally able to scare away the coyote. The cat was scared and hid under the rocks at the beach – I couldn’t get it to go home. Just thought that our neighbors may want to know that there is a determined coyote around Alki trying to eat cats!”

And remember, whether you love them or hate them – or something inbetween – “scaring away” is exactly what you want to do if you see a coyote, even if it’s not chasing potential prey or threatening you. Our state’s Fish and Wildlife Department explains why, and offers other advice.

1. …and that’s why there are so many “missing cat” posters around West Seattle.

Comment by James — 4:31 pm October 6, 2011 #

2. I was leaving my night class at SSCC on Tuesday around 9:00 and saw one run across campus. Freaked me out a bit..

Comment by Anonymous — 4:52 pm October 6, 2011 #

3. I live 1 block away from this sighting and I am really scared for my Bengal who has bee relegated to the outside due to his peeing on the inside. I thought I heard a coyote barking two nights ago. Now I know that’s what it was.

The only thing that helps alleviate my fears is that I let my little guy out after the sun is up. And he doesn’t stray, preferring to stick close to the house.

Comment by Thomas Condon — 4:55 pm October 6, 2011 #

4. How about dog sightings. Coyotes are seen almost as much as dogs. Unless it attacks a human being. leave them alone.

Comment by jiggers — 5:24 pm October 6, 2011 #

5. Sweet! Would love to see a coyote!

Comment by Alkira — 5:30 pm October 6, 2011 #

6. I don’t think there is a 100% safe time to let small pets go outside. Some coyotes hunt during daytime and at night.

But my cats are so unhappy at being kept in that I let them risk it under some circumstances.

They can go out if I am outside with them, or if lots of people and cars are around (during morning and evening rush hour) or during a sunny weekend in the daytime when many people are outside. I sure hope we stay lucky.

Comment by JoAnne — 5:54 pm October 6, 2011 #

7. I hope the owner sees this and goes to get the cat. It may refuse to move.

Thomas–I hate to tell you this, but the coyotes do hunt during the day as well. Maybe you could protect him a bit by preparing your property with places for the cat to hide outside, easily get up trees and have somewhere to sit, etc.

Jiggers–dogs don’t eat cats. Coyotes should not be “left alone.” They need to know humans are scary. Coyotes have been known to attack small children and no one at all (including the coyote) benefits from us letting them get brave.

Comment by Rebecca — 5:55 pm October 6, 2011 #

8. Oh Rebecca, you just went against the Hive mind with that post. Prepare to be: demonized, vilified, character assassinated, and hit in the face with a pie.

Comment by Kg — 7:40 pm October 6, 2011 #

9. Now, now, there hasn’t been a pie incident on this blog in weeks!

Comment by datamuse — 8:19 pm October 6, 2011 #

10. I’ve been hearing the Schmitz Park coyotes (sometimes multiples) howling at 4-5 am over the past two weeks. 64th in the 3200 hundred block is a hop and a skip for these coyotes.

Comment by JayDee — 8:45 pm October 6, 2011 #

11. I wish they’d go after some of these raccoons instead of the cats!!

Comment by Chris — 9:51 pm October 6, 2011 #

12. Thomas-have you had your Bengal’s urine tested for infection? He might be urinating inside due to a treatable health condition. Then you wouldn’t have to put him outside anymore.

Comment by alkikmac — 4:19 am October 7, 2011 #

13. This is a good reminder to pet lovers that it’s better for your pets to keep them inside. They get used to it. Yes many cats would love to go outside but as the human in the relationship we all make decisions for our pets that are in their own best interest. We spay and neuter them (hopefully!) we get them their yearly shots and checkups. We give them quality food and clean water. This is just another one of those decisions. Cats live longer as indoor creatures. They have a less likely chance to pick up diseases from other animals. They have less flea problems. They don’t kill the local songbirds. They won’t get hit by cars or eaten by coyotes and won’t disappear. They will live long and happy lives with the humans they love. Just something to think about.

Comment by Jennifer — 7:25 am October 7, 2011 #

14. If I see one I will shoot it. They have been killing my neighbors cats. One even left the remains on their front lawn. The cat still looked whole just had it’s insides eaten. If you don’t have a hand gun on you hit them with a big rock.

Comment by JV — 9:48 am October 7, 2011 #

15. Thank you Mr. Carpenter for taking a few minutes to, in all likelihood, save someone’s pet.

Comment by Neal Chism — 10:13 am October 7, 2011 #

16. Yes, coyotes do hunt and eat any small suitable animal. But dogs can and do too. Fewer feral dogs than coyotes in this neighborhood though!

Comment by LivesinWS — 1:01 pm October 7, 2011 #

17. Good comments

Comment by Kalster — 1:34 pm October 7, 2011 #

18. I really hope that JV isn’t my neighbor.

Comment by fBurns — 3:38 pm October 7, 2011 #

19. hey jv Im with you.

Comment by boy — 9:37 am October 8, 2011 #

20. Hi ‘JV’ and ‘boy’; what about the free-roaming neighborhood cats that come into my yard hunting birds and other native wildlife? It seems like the same thing, only the cats are artificially introduced into the local ecosystem. They coyotes belong here, from an ecological standpoint.

Comment by ltfd — 6:02 pm October 8, 2011 #

21. Coyotes are not native to the Pacific Northwest. Many people mistakenly think they are somehow native to this eco-system, but they are actually just another invasive species, and as such should not be protected.

Comment by opposeablethumbs — 10:52 pm October 9, 2011 #

22. There you go Scott. The coon might be somebodies dinner soon. They are yipping right now 3:30 a.m. Wednsday morning.

Comment by Errol — 3:45 am October 19, 2011 #