Traffic alert: Westbound Spokane St. Viaduct closing for 2 nights, 1 day

September 23, 2011 at 12:05 pm | In Spokane St. Viaduct project, West Seattle news, West Seattle traffic alerts | 9 Comments

Just in from SDOT, the next round of Spokane Street Viaduct closures, westbound only, and this time it’s for a big chunk of the weekend:

The contractor working for the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) to widen the Spokane Street Viaduct will close both westbound lanes of the structure from 10 PM on Friday, September 30, to 10 AM on Sunday, October 2, to pour deck spans at the east end of the project. The westbound lanes will be closed from west of I-5 to the Alaskan Way Viaduct. All eastbound lanes on the Spokane Street Viaduct will remain open.

During the closure, southbound I-5 traffic will be directed to the S Forest Street exit to access surface streets leading to the lower Spokane Street Swing Bridge. Northbound I-5 traffic and westbound traffic from Columbian Way will be detoured to surface streets at 6th Avenue South to the detour route leading to the swing bridge. Signage will be posted to direct drivers along these routes.

Motorists will also still be able to use southbound SR-99 to access the West Seattle High-Rise Bridge.

And again, “Spokane Street Viaduct” refers to the stretch of the West Seattle Bridge between I-5 and Highway 99.

1. So, you cannot exit I-5 either from the north or south to Spokane street? All weekend? That’s going to be a mess. First I’ve heard of this closure. They just cancelled the I-405 closure because of weather this weekend.

Comment by work downtown — 12:51 pm September 23, 2011 #

2. wow- has this been on the calendar for a while, and i didn’t notice ? sounds like Saturday traffic will be a pain. oh well, hopefully they get lots of work done during the nice day. short term pain for long term gain.

Comment by sam-c — 12:56 pm September 23, 2011 #

3. Just announced. I watch the calendar for advance stuff. Remember, this is a week from this weekend, not THIS weekend … TR

Comment by WSB — 1:10 pm September 23, 2011 #

4. Sept 30-Oct 2 is this weekend.

Comment by kk — 10:39 am September 30, 2011 #

5. Please note my comment is from a week ago, when this was announced/posted, at which time it was still a week away… TR

Comment by WSB — 11:30 am September 30, 2011 #

6. Another career politician. When are we going to get some independents into this state instead of these out of touch radicals. The government is broke for a reason, we keep voting in the same people toeing the line. Guess what their line hasn’t been working.

Comment by WSUCoug — 12:41 pm September 30, 2011 #

7. Which do you think is a simpler drive coming westbound – coming from I5 or 99?

Comment by jennifer wells — 3:58 pm October 1, 2011 #

8. Well, you can’t get to the bridge from I-5. So it’s 99 or nothing, unless you take I-5 till getting off somewhere downtown and making it to Columbia or Western and onto the Viaduct … TR

Comment by WSB — 4:10 pm October 1, 2011 #