South Park, alive & kickin’, and grappling: Lucha Libre

August 21, 2011 at 12:37 pm | In South Park, West Seattle news | 8 Comments

Our neighbors to the east in South Park are continuing to roll out the welcome mat while they cope with a dead end where a bridge was, and will be again – and last night, the welcome mat came in the form of a wrestling ring, for a celebration of Mexican masked wrestling, South Park Espectaculo: Lucha Libre(if you haven’t heard of it, here’s an explanation of the sport). While we had to get back to West Seattle before the matches, we caught this demonstration of some key moves by Luchadores Independientes of Washington:

Here’s why handstands are important, when you’re in the ring with an opponent:

A drawing for those in attendance included distinctive masks like these, worn by luchadores:

South Park, of course, would love to see you any old time, special event or not. Their new catchtheculture.com website makes that point (and offers ideas). But guess what – they have something else big NEXT weekend; it’s been in the WSB Events calendar a while, but if you haven’t heard yet about the annual Duwamish River Festival, it’s next Saturday, with lots of info here (and consider joining the Walk/Bike/Paddle to get there from West Seattle!).

1. ¡Gracias, South Park! We all had a great time. The Lotería game was a fun way to get better acquainted with the business area, too. :)

Comment by Vivan los luchadores — 2:44 pm August 21, 2011 #

2. oops I think I misspelled my post name the first time, lol.

Comment by Viven los luchadores — 4:06 pm August 21, 2011 #

3. Thanks to everyone who came out to our event and helped support our businesses too. Come again. South Park loves you!

Comment by george — 8:24 pm August 21, 2011 #

4. I thought this event was so much fun and well received by the whole community at large! I would LOVE to see this event repeated in South Park in the future! Kudos to all who made it come together and run smoothly.

Comment by Colleen Lindsey — 10:07 am August 22, 2011 #

5. George- it was a great event ! (I posted on WSB FB page, but for some reason the comment disappeared):
    “we had as much fun looking for the business stickers to complete our bingo card as we did watching the wrestling” (Great idea!)

Comment by sam-c — 10:12 am August 22, 2011 #

6. I’m having a problem with Facebook deciding to “hide” posts. I have no idea how the he** that works but I’ll go see if there’s a hidden one. I had to rescue about five yesterday.

Comment by WSB — 10:53 am August 22, 2011 #

7. Wow! What an awesome turnout! It was our pleasure to perform for all of you; we had a fabulous time! Thanks for your support, we hope that we can make this happen again soon!

Comment by Ave Fénix — 1:15 pm August 22, 2011 #

8. We couldn’t make it that night but we really really wanted to go. Have more in the future!

Comment by AJP — 7:40 pm August 23, 2011 #