Seen in West Seattle: Grouchos return, after a year away

August 18, 2011 at 2:43 pm | In Pigeon Point, Seen around town, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

The Grouchos are back. They’re tougher to see than during their previous appearances on the north-facing slope alongside the eastbound West Seattle Bridge (our photo is from 2007) – but, as Patt posted on the WSB Facebook wall today, they’re back. Until last year, they seemed to appear magically each spring. This year, it turns out, they actually reappeared a few weeks ago, according to West Seattle writer Mark Bourne, who had chronicled them in the past; we contacted him this afternoon to mention the new sighting, and he pointed out he’d already written about it (with new photos showing they’ve multiplied!). Who puts them there? Still a mystery.

1. I love it- now THAT is real guerrilla art

Comment by sam-c — 2:55 pm August 18, 2011 #

2. I saw these a few weeks ago on the NB ramp to I-5 from the West Seattle Bridge. They were on my left as I was entering the freeway.

Comment by Paula T — 3:16 pm August 18, 2011 #

3. There are way more of them this year than in the past.

Comment by austin — 5:01 pm August 18, 2011 #

4. I think there are two groups of Grouchos hidden in the trees this year.

Paula: Perhaps you meant on your right? I see them to the right on the bus or car just on Pigeon Point’s greenbelt.

Comment by JayDee — 6:50 pm August 18, 2011 #

5. Does anyone remember the burger joint called Grouchos? I miss their blackberry milkshakes! When I saw the words “Grouchos” and “back” in the same sentence, I got a little excited.

Comment by TC55 — 6:56 pm August 18, 2011 #

6. “Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.”
    — Groucho Marx

Welcome back Grouchos!!

Comment by R0b0 — 7:25 pm August 18, 2011 #

7. @ JayDee – the ones I saw were on the I-5 NB onramp and on the left side about three weeks or so ago. I’ve seen the ones on Pigeon Point as well, and I’m speaking of a completely different onramp (not the Delridge ramp onto the WS Bridge). You may be right about there being more of them than before :D

Comment by Paula T — 9:16 pm August 18, 2011 #

8. TC! Yes! Me too! Is it weird I’ve lived here for 25 years and have never seen nor heard of these?

Comment by Cait — 9:28 pm August 18, 2011 #

9. Yeah, I miss the old Groucho’s burgers, and yes, the blackberry shakes were awesome!

Comment by 56bricks — 7:17 am August 19, 2011 #

10. no, i saw these on left side NB I5 ramp from ws bridge. about 3 weeks ago as well.

Comment by ca — 7:34 am August 19, 2011 #

11. @Paula T – Yep, I saw them at NB I-5 as well. On the grassy left side as you dip down from EB Spokane Street Viaduct and then back up onto NB 5.

Comment by Chris M — 7:49 am August 19, 2011 #

12. With the Groucho’s back, what is that telling us? Maybe everyone needs to take a deep breath and lighten up so it is easier to see the important stuff %-)

Comment by patt — 9:20 am August 19, 2011 #