Video/photos: Seafair Parade of Ships, Navy/USCG fly-bys

August 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm | In Seen at sea, West Seattle news | 15 Comments

1:50 PM: The Seafair Fleet Parade of Ships show actually started off west-facing West Seattle – as they staged between Beach Drive and Bainbridge Island before turning to head toward Elliott Bay. The ship that looks like an aircraft carrier is the amphibious-assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard. It led the way, and along with the other parading ships is now headed toward the downtown waterfront. (added) Here’s video featuring a stand-up paddleboarder watching seemingly close-up while it headed that way:

Hope you caught the early alerts via Facebook or Twitter if you weren’t already out on the shore – as LOTS of people were, and still are; we’re by Duwamish Head but have been tracking the ships since Emma Schmitz Viewpoint on Beach Drive. (photo added) Madge Bloom caught this view of the BR’s stern, and the U.S. Coast Guard alongside:

ADDED 2:15 PM: One of the flybys – so far they’ve all been along the downtown waterfront, but visible from here (particularly with zoom):

Not sure yet which aircraft that was. More video to be added. The biggest ship in the parade, meantime, the Bonhomme Richard, is headed west out of the bay right now but will have to come back this way since it’s moored at Terminal 25 by the bridge for Seafair – so you have another chance to see it if you haven’t yet.

3:11 PM UPDATE: Now the show – from West Seattle shores, anyway – is just about over. We’ll be adding even more video and photos – starting with another one of the flybys, ahead (NOTE: also adding yet more this evening – thanks to everyone who’s shared pix – and thanks also to Seafair for sharing photos taken on board the Bonhomme Richard as it sailed by!):

More to come! We’re heading back to HQ to check other photos that have come in, as well as more of the video we shot. Next up for Seafair – Blue Angels practices tomorrow, plus tours of the fleet that sailed past today.

7:13 PM: A few photos shared by Seafair (and republished here with their permission) – the sailors on board the Bonhomme Richard as it sailed by, followed by its LCACs (Landing Craft Air Cushions, the hovercrafts) putting on a demo behind:

Marie McKinsey shared this overview shot from Hamilton Viewpoint:

MORE ADDED: From Ilona Berzups, the USS Sampson, followed by the USS Chafee:

(Above and below photos, copyright 2011 Ilona Berzups)

Cindy had a unique view of a Coast Guard flyby:

Gary caught this view looking over the Alki Lighthouse:

And a Seattle fireboat was one of many shot by Clifton:

Tours of the visiting fleet start at 9:30 am Thursday (details here).

1. I can’t believe the Navy didn’t blow that stand up boarding terrorist out of the water!

And that’s a P3 Orion, sub hunter / killer aircraft. Being replaced by the new 737 based model.

And what a gorgeous day and good excuse to get out of work for a little bit. Not that I’d do that.

Comment by dbsea — 2:51 pm August 3, 2011 #

2. Thanks, DBS, I haven’t cross-referenced yet. Figured I’d update it later, research not as easy when squinting at screen in wonderful bright sunshine – TR

Comment by WSB — 3:02 pm August 3, 2011 #

3. Second fly-by video is of a Grumman EA-6B Prowler, electronic warfare. Being replaced by Boeing EA-18G. A squadron of them is based at Whidbey.

Comment by Coolie — 5:41 pm August 3, 2011 #

4. The paddleboarder was ok but they REALLY didn’t like me being on the east waterway in a kayak. Sorry if I held things up.

Comment by austin — 5:43 pm August 3, 2011 #

5. Thanks, Coolie. That one, I thought I recognized, but didn’t want to assume anything till I could be more certain – OR hear from someone who knows better :) – TR

Comment by WSB — 5:45 pm August 3, 2011 #

6. That hovercraft sure kicks up an interesting spray pattern. Cool!

Comment by StephenHJ — 5:47 pm August 3, 2011 #

7. Comment by clark5080 — 6:00 pm August 3, 2011 #

8. So cool! Wish I’d walked down to the waterfront to watch.

Comment by Jasperblu — 6:25 pm August 3, 2011 #

9. I have to say, seeing the Orion and the Prowlers flying reminded me of all those afternoons my father would take me up to NAS Whidbey Island to park on the perimeter road and watch touch-and-goes. I’d actually forgotten that the Orions were still flying.

Comment by jay — 8:29 pm August 3, 2011 #

10. I am so mad I didn’t see this. I love how so many are informed of the Prowler replacement. BTW, it
    s currently being built in Renton :)

Comment by jesse — 9:27 pm August 3, 2011 #

11. Here are some shots I got from near Alki Point: http://www.flickr.com//photos/russwalker/tags/seafair11/show/

Comment by Russ Walker — 10:22 pm August 3, 2011 #

12. Orion replacement being built in Renton, maybe, the Prowler replacement in Saint Louis, almost certainly – just because it says “Boeing” on the side doesn’t make it local.

Comment by JAT — 7:36 am August 4, 2011 #

13. The P3 Orion replacement is definitely being built in renton as a derivative of the 737 and finished (outfitted with the cool stuff) at Boeing Field (Its Navy designation is P8). At least one is currently at the Boeing’s Military Flight Center – just south of where the Blue’s are parked.

The EA6B Prowler replacement – the EA18 Growler – is built in St. Louis.

Comment by Eddie — 2:33 pm August 4, 2011 #

14. How cool to see this shot! Born and raised in Seattle, and served in the Navy as an aircrewman aboard The P-3C, then seeing the two together. Nice little package all wrapped up with a bow.

Comment by Long Camper — 7:12 pm August 4, 2011 #

15. This blog is great! For 2011, where can I find a list of ships to tour and their location?

Comment by vrkelley — 7:34 am August 6, 2011 #