West Seattleite to open mobile art gallery in an Airstream trailer

July 6, 2011 at 10:42 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle video, WS culture/arts | 12 Comments

Video, photos, and reporting by Christopher Boffoli
For West Seattle Blog

Brenda Scallon is a little more than one week away from the first show for her mobile Airstream-trailer art gallery.

Scallon is a 26-year resident of West Seattle who formerly co-owned the Black Lab and Parlour gallery in Ballard.

She’s also a musician with the band Daughters of Joy. Brenda, her husband and children, live at 3815 46th Ave SW, and in this case, the specific address matters, since that’s where her trailer/gallery’s first show will be.

First, the backstory: A couple years ago she got the idea to do a mobile gallery in an Airstream trailer. She started looking around and ultimately found a 1974 Airstream in Lake Stevens for $5,000. She has been renovating bit by bit since she brought it home.

Airstream trailers, first produced in the 1930s, continue to have something of a cult following in the US. They’re desired for their classic retro, riveted aluminum design.

Scallon’s Airstream has required quite a bit of work.

She has had to seal up leaks, replace flooring and paint some of the interior surfaces. There were also a few dents to bang out, some of which occurred in her driveway when a neighbor’s tree fell on the trailer in a windstorm. Scallon has added some modern electrical components but has kept the ’70s-era sound system, which includes an 8-track tape player.

Unlike most art galleries, the trailer is not exactly spacious. So Scallon plans to put up various tents around the trailer to expand the gallery space. She is planning to do quarterly shows in various locations. The first show and open house, featuring artists Michael O’Driscoll (), E. Grace Dager, Band of Toy, and Scallon’s own art, will be on Friday, July 15th, 7-10 pm, at 3815 46th Ave SW.

Scallon is inviting local artists to contact her if they want to participate in future shows. She can be contacted at: brenda@acaravan.com

1. Back in the day, we called these unique abodes a “Rabbit Hutch”. Best wishes to you Scallon in this clever endeavor!

Comment by blueemerald — 7:53 am July 7, 2011 #

2. This is the coolest thing Ive seen in these parts in a while. Thers a vast community of vintage trailer aficonado’s and events happening around the country. I just did an event poster and a line of fabrics for a vintage trailer/tiki event in the Mojave desert. BUT this is the first ever art gallery!!!

Comment by sophista-tiki — 8:17 am July 7, 2011 #

3. I have a great collection of 8 tracks and have always kept an 8 track player in my vintage car. it completes the ambience of the ride.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 8:24 am July 7, 2011 #

4. awesome idea, you go girl!

Comment by Cass Nevada — 8:35 am July 7, 2011 #

5. I don’t know this woman. I don’t know anything about her taste in art. But I’ll tell you this. I’d give her the last dollar in my pocket before I’d give another nickel of public money to these poseurs:
    -Rem Kookhaus
    -Frank “Scary” Gehry
    -Dale Chihooey

Comment by DP — 8:54 am July 7, 2011 #

6. I first noticed this trailer on a walk through the neighborhood about a year ago. There was a sign in the window announcing it’s future as an art gallery. Glad to see it come to fruition!

I too own a vintage (1959) Airstream that I restored. Can’t wait to check this one out! It will be interesting to see how Brenda displays the art, as part of the wall is curved for the classic “bullet” shape. Best of luck on your cleaver endeavor!

Comment by cstar — 8:56 am July 7, 2011 #

7. Brenda is a creative visionary who brings positive, laid back energy to everything she does. So excited for her Mobile Art Caravan Opening! Love you Brenda!

Comment by Teri — 9:21 am July 7, 2011 #

8. We also own a 1966 Airstream and always marvel at the new and inventive ways people are using them. Can’t wait to check it out.

Comment by natinstl — 2:46 pm July 7, 2011 #

9. Congratulations, Brenda. We love and are always inspried by you!

Comment by Karen & Robert — 3:11 pm July 7, 2011 #

10. Congratulations, Brenda. We love and are always inpsired by you!

Comment by Karen & Robert — 3:12 pm July 7, 2011 #

11. natinstl, is your Airstream here in the neighborhood? I’m always interested to meet fellow vintage Airstream owners.

Comment by Cstar — 9:42 pm July 7, 2011 #

12. Thanks everybody for the wonderful encouragement! I’m so excited to share this first event with my favorite neighborhood (Westside!!!) and look forward to showcasing lots of artists, of every genre, in the Caravan. Teri- love you back! Can’t wait to do something with your Furry Faces =^> K&R back at you! Lets get David Orosco up here to hold some artist workshops! I’d love to talk art and or Airstreams with my neighbors, I’ll be doing a shift at Arts West from 2-4 this Friday for Westfest. Stop by if you get a chance. And thank you WSB for keeping us all connected!
    xob