South Seattle Community College instructor to fly with Angels

July 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm | In Blue Angels, West Seattle news, West Seattle schools | 8 Comments

The first Blue Angels plane to arrive in Seattle will get here Monday morning (with the rest arriving Tuesday), as reported here earlier this week; Monday’s the day they take selected media and community leaders up for a ride. And South Seattle Community College just sent word that SSCC instructor Heidi Lyman is one of those community leaders. She’s a former aerospace engineer described as “exuberantly passionate about math” and expecting she can incorporate that into what she takes away from the flight – SSCC’s announcement quotes Lyman as saying, “I often talk about the equations of motion in space as position, velocity and acceleration, using examples such as bike riding, skiing, sky diving and bungee jumping,” explained the former aerospace engineer. “A flight with the Blue Angels will be an incredible example to use!” She’s set to go up at 11 am Monday.

1. Ah I love Lyman. I’ve never seen anyone more passionate about numbers than her.

Comment by Anon — 4:11 pm July 28, 2011 #

2. I’ve had her as my instructor for several classes at SSCC, and she is awesome. Probably the best teacher I’ve ever had, in any subject (sorry mom).

Comment by rob — 5:54 pm July 28, 2011 #

3. I think its time to end the blue angels. With all the budget cuts that need to be made, the blue angels is a no brainer. They cost over 100 million a year to train, fly and maintain the planes. They pollute the environment and pose a danger to the pilots and audience.
    Tine to end the show!

Comment by John — 6:50 pm July 28, 2011 #

4. Way to go Heidi… I have also had Heidi as an instructor for 3 math courses. She is a fantastic instructor and deserves the recognition.

Comment by Crista — 8:03 pm July 28, 2011 #

5. Man she talks about this everyday in class! After meeting her and seeing her love for all things mathematical, I couldn’t think of a better candidate. Have fun Mrs. Lyman!

Comment by Jessica — 10:40 pm July 28, 2011 #

6. Links and facts, John?

Comment by george — 10:44 pm July 28, 2011 #

7. @John,

Remember John, the fact that you can make a post like that is the very reason we have the Blue Angels. Enjoy the show, I know that I and many others will!

Comment by Rick — 9:17 am July 29, 2011 #

8. I am so excited for my teacher…one of the neatest teachers I have ever had! There is 6 Blue Angels and your riding in the 7th plane. 6+7=13-Cheers!

Comment by Stef — 10:24 am July 29, 2011 #