West Seattle door-to-door ‘alert’: Canvassing tomorrow

June 1, 2011 at 1:16 pm | In Door-to-door alert, West Seattle news, West Seattle politics | 19 Comments

You might find a door-to-door political canvasser outside your home or apartment tomorrow night – and thanks to a heads-up from Diane, we can tell you in advance, they’re legitimate. They will be asking people to support a potential city ordinance requiring that employers provide paid sick days. The notice Diane shared says that canvassers will gather at Pioneer Coffee (2536 Alki SW) at 5:30 pm Thursday, heading out to West Seattle neighborhoods over the ensuing two hours.

1. Thanks for the heads-up, but I still don’t want anyone knocking on my door!

Comment by cmc — 1:21 pm June 1, 2011 #

2. CMC- well put.
    I appreciate knowing about this in advance, but I still don’t want them knocking on my door. I guess I will leave the dog out in the yard.

Comment by CMeagh — 1:28 pm June 1, 2011 #

3. so if any non legitimate are reading this they now can pose as “legitimate” I say still solicitor anyway you slice it

Comment by Paul — 1:41 pm June 1, 2011 #

4. Yes, they are. And you should still ask for ID etc. IF you choose to open the door (nobody says you have to). Plus, if you have a “no soliciting” sign, they should honor that, or they’re breaking the rules. (The West Seattle Blockwatch Captains Network showed off a cool laminated one at their last meeting – yet another reason to join if you haven’t already!) – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:44 pm June 1, 2011 #

5. Nice plug for these people….a purely political undertaking. Don’t want them knocking on my door either.

Comment by ed — 1:51 pm June 1, 2011 #

6. Great…another thing to raise the Overhead of doing business in Seattle

Comment by JD — 2:41 pm June 1, 2011 #

7. I hope they will respect the “No Solicitors” sign on our front door.
    Door-to-door political canvassing is still soliciting, even if only for our opinions.

Comment by homesick — 3:10 pm June 1, 2011 #

8. Canvassers are not selling anything therefore they are not solicitors. Annoying, but true.

Comment by me — 4:12 pm June 1, 2011 #

9. This should be a state issue. Seattle businesses have enough reason to town leave already.

Comment by dsa — 4:37 pm June 1, 2011 #

10. Door to door no more! Say it with me……

Comment by dancingcat — 5:10 pm June 1, 2011 #

11. This is truly misguided effort. Labor issues should be taken up with the state level and not at the local level.

Comment by Greg J. — 5:31 pm June 1, 2011 #

12. YES ! NO SOLICITING !! (except for my neighbor’s cute little kid who sold cookie dough for funds for his school.)

Comment by Vanessa — 5:31 pm June 1, 2011 #

13. Bet they ignore my no soliciting sign…..all the political people seem to think it doesn’t apply to them.

Comment by shane — 7:01 pm June 1, 2011 #

14. Sorry to break the news to you, but political canvassing isn’t a solicitation, so a “no solicitation” sign has no legal bearing. It’s a democracy out there, and people can come to your front door in regards to political matters. You are, of course, free to not open the door for them. Or you can post a No Trespassing sign if you wish.

Comment by Bill A — 11:32 pm June 1, 2011 #

15. This is not an issue for the state level since they are discussing city employees, not state employees. It’s a completely different system (and the city has a better pay scale…).

Comment by JenR — 11:58 pm June 1, 2011 #

16. People that don’t get the FACT that I don’t want them knocking on the door that I pay for or calling me on the phone that I pay for to push their personal agenda will NEVER get my support. Now if they want to send out a mailer detailing their message that I can review in my time they might get a response. Nothing pi$$es me of more than to come home from work to find my message machine full of political stuff that is not welcomed or believed. Ok I feel better now

Comment by wsguy — 1:10 am June 2, 2011 #

17. Yes, it is called grassroots lobbying, and protected under the constitution. Our democracy wouldn’t exist without it. Try to be nice to these earnest idealists, and offer them a drink of water. Or don’t answer at all.

Comment by Neighborly — 3:12 am June 2, 2011 #

18. A definition to show soliciting does apply to this situation.
    Door-to-door political canvassing is still soliciting, even if only requesting our opinions.

Merriam – Webster:
    so·lic·it
    verb \sə-ˈli-sət\
    Definition of SOLICIT
    transitive verb
    a : to make petition to : entreat b : to approach with a request or plea (solicited Congress for funding)
    appeal for, appeal to, apply, ask, ask earnestly, beseech, call for, make a request.

Comment by homesick — 6:19 am June 2, 2011 #