West Seattle Art Walk-ers greeted by Junction ‘yarn bomb’

May 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm | In Community Garage Sale Day, West Seattle news | 14 Comments

We’ll substitute a clearer photo a bit later but for now, that’s a cameraphoto of the latest YarnCore “yarn bomb” in West Seattle – appearing around a tree near Radio Shack in The Junction, during tonight’s West Seattle Art Walk. According to the YarnCore website, the group is part of West Seattle Community Garage Sale Day – #204 – one of the benefit sales. (Sale day is this Saturday, 9 am-3 pm, find the online map and a link to the printable map here. And more on Art Walk, coming up separately.)

1. yes, mid May, and even the trees need sweaters! :)

Comment by JanS — 10:15 pm May 12, 2011 #

2. well darn; I was at the Artwalk, and went into Radio Shack; didn’t even notice the yarn bomb

Comment by Diane — 10:19 pm May 12, 2011 #

3. I LOVE THIS! Thank you Yarn Core.

Comment by smarkle — 7:14 am May 13, 2011 #

4. Not going to rant too much because it’s not popular opinion. But I’m not into the “yarn bomb.” I guess I don’t get it.

Comment by luke — 7:31 am May 13, 2011 #

5. Luke:

It may not be the popular opinion, but you are not alone. I find them to be tacky. The decaying peeps on the Admiral bridge have been particularly ugly.

Comment by In the Dark — 7:55 am May 13, 2011 #

6. Art is in the eye of the beholder….

Comment by RJB — 8:15 am May 13, 2011 #

7. We need more yarn bombs and fewer real ones. We need talented street artists even in unauthorizedplaces.. Brava to the yarn bombers. What the hell is wrong with creative tacky. Just for that, I’m bringing out ALL the pink flamingos and yellow duckies tonight.

Comment by charlabob — 9:30 am May 13, 2011 #

8. Interesting point about decaying peeps – what’s the protocol for removing yarnbombs that start to deteriorate/get mildewed/unravel?

Comment by MargL — 9:30 am May 13, 2011 #

9. Ugh! We’ve been over this before. Yarncore takes DOWN all yarnbombs as well. The decaying peeps were not affiliated with that BTW.

Comment by Cait — 10:10 am May 13, 2011 #

10. Actually, there ARE peeps on one of the yarn bombs on Admiral. I took down part of it, but the pole looked fine to me, so I didn’t take it down yet. The first one I put up on the bike rack is starting to look a little sad, so I plan to knit something new for that. I even bought yarn for it specifically. It’s unfortunate that some people don’t like it, but to each his own. I get a generally positive attitude from people about it, so I plan to keep doing it.

Comment by yarncore — 1:03 pm May 13, 2011 #

11. I like the yarnbombs, but the peeps are a bit nasty now. It was really cool when it went up, but it’s like perishable food – you have to toss it out at some point. The yarn is fine, the perishable part, not so much. Is it ok to take out the peeps? I was afraid the ‘owner’ would get upset.

Comment by NotMe — 6:14 pm May 13, 2011 #

12. JanS, that is so cute, until I think about what it really means, boohoohoo…

Comment by Jill — 7:47 pm May 13, 2011 #

13. If somebody had eaten the peeps by now this wouldn’t be a problem.

Comment by austin — 7:48 pm May 13, 2011 #

14. I’ll probably take the peeps one down in the next few days, ok? And if the “owner” was going to get upset about things being taken down, I wouldn’t put up art in public places in the first place. The first thing to go was the cool giant egg I knit, and that’s been gone for weeks. I’m not getting all bent out of shape about it.

Comment by YarnCore — 7:17 am May 14, 2011 #