A recently issued permit for a “new storefront” at Elliott Bay Brewing Company in The Junction sparked our curiosity – so we stopped by today to find out what’s up. Elliott Bay Brewing owner Todd Carden tells WSB he’s been thinking for months about facade work that will leave the building looking a little more like what it looked like decades ago. And even just with a bit of work, he’s uncovered some history:
The inscribed bricks shown in our photos are part of what he uncovered while out doing some work today – with the inscriptions 1932, above, and below, GJ Vayhinger:
(Who was GJ Vayhinger? So far, we’ve only found one reference, in a Google Book search result about a national board of hardware sellers. Help, Junction historians!) Carden says he doesn’t have the plan completely finalized yet – he’s still exploring options. There are even windows under the current facade, so he’s going to see what kind of shape they’re in, to possibly let some more light into his establishment. So be on the lookout for a “new ‘old’ look” at Elliott Bay!
4:14 PM UPDATE: WSB’ers have been researching GJ Vayhinger while we were working on other stories – read their discoveries in the comment section – and the research indicates he indeed ran a West Seattle hardware store!
Sorry, comment time is over.
All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^