West Seattle wildlife: First Canada goslings of the season

April 3, 2011 at 11:55 am | In West Seattle news, Wildlife | 18 Comments

Shared by Alki photographer David Hutchinson, who has also tracked local Canada goose families in seasons past, two photos and this report:

Spring seems to have arrived despite the cool weather. The first Harbor Avenue Canada Goose goslings have shown up right on schedule. If they manage to survive the bald eagles, off-leash dogs, and thoughtless humans, they should be making their first flight in about 2 1/2 months. Please keep an eye out for them as you drive along Harbor Ave as the grass always looks greener on the other side.

1. The quality of the photographs that are showcased in the WSB never ceases to amaze me. I especially like the wildlife-focused ones. These are fantastic pictures! Could spring actually be springing, at long last?

Comment by MMB — 12:10 pm April 3, 2011 #

2. Pretty darn cool!

Comment by Genesee Hill — 12:16 pm April 3, 2011 #

3. Adorable; thank you!

Comment by Kayleigh — 12:37 pm April 3, 2011 #

4. MMB – we are truly blessed to have contributions from so many talented photographers, both those who handle WSB coverage assignments and those who contribute from the community because they want to share their work with the tens of thousands who come here regularly. David Hutchinson has been sharing wonderful images here for a few years and every time something from him arrives in the inbox, it’s like opening a Christmas present – I can hardly wait to see what it is! – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:47 pm April 3, 2011 #

5. gorgeous photo, David Hutchinson! thank you.

Comment by visitor — 1:02 pm April 3, 2011 #

6. I’d like to echo MMB’s comments–LOVE the nature photography folks so generously share with the WSB. Truly quality work. Often makes me pause and appreciate again the beautiful area in which we live and I’m thankful for their attentive eyes. It’s something that sets WSB apart. Thanks to all who contribute.

Comment by neighbor lady — 1:14 pm April 3, 2011 #

7. That is just beautiful!! Love it!!!

Comment by geese — 2:28 pm April 3, 2011 #

8. What a beautiful photo. Thank you!

Comment by Kate — 2:32 pm April 3, 2011 #

9. Best photo ever! Love the Mom and Baby! Thanks for sharing!-Diane V

Comment by Diane Venti — 3:21 pm April 3, 2011 #

10. that photo IS amazing- a big thank you to every-one who shares their talents with their community. photographers, WSB, volunteers, etc. etc. etc. the list could go on as there are so many around (it seems) who share…

Comment by sam-c — 3:28 pm April 3, 2011 #

11. Those photos literally made me tear up! I love Canada Geese….

Comment by kate — 3:42 pm April 3, 2011 #

12. So cute!

Comment by Westbird — 3:42 pm April 3, 2011 #

13. thoughtless humans? No those things pollute the water and destroy public parks. They need to be eradicated!

Comment by Joe — 8:36 pm April 3, 2011 #

14. I had no idea that geese were responsible for all the cigarette butts, fast food debris, and beer cans strewn about the parking lots, grass, and in the water at local parks!?! Thanks for the tip, Joe. To think, humans were being blamed for dirtying public areas. Wow.

Comment by Darkseid — 9:11 pm April 3, 2011 #

15. Amazing photos! Thank you!!! :)

Comment by gayle — 9:31 pm April 3, 2011 #

16. David. That is an incredible photo. WOW :)

Comment by Live Here; Learn Here — 5:19 pm April 4, 2011 #

17. I can’t locate this David Hutchinson on the web and I would like to buy a print of this beautiful photo. Please let me know how I can find him. Thanks.

Comment by Courtney Searls-Ridge — 8:56 am April 7, 2011 #

18. Courtney – you should be able to reach him through the Alki Community Council, with which he serves on the committee that manages brick sales to raise maintenance money for Statue of Liberty Plaza, among other things – http://www.alkinews.com

Comment by WSB — 8:59 am April 7, 2011 #