West Seattle Crime Watch: 2 burglaries, 1 ‘unplugged’

April 19, 2011 at 11:58 am | In Crime, West Seattle news | 5 Comments

The two latest West Seattle Crime Watch reports are burglaries – one came in by phone because the victim’s computer was part of the loot, so she had no other way to report it here – read on for details on that, and another break-in with a puzzling “clue” – an unplugged appliance:

By phone: A home near 35th/Morgan was broken into early Sunday afternoon while the resident was at a friend’s soccer game. The burglar(s) went through drawers and shelves, making off with a brand-new HP laptop as well as some jewelry.

By e-mail, received on Monday:

Location: Oregon between 40th-41st
Date: Friday 4-18-11
Time: Between 10-12:30 (pm)
Taken: Flat Screen TV and Camera

Upon coming home we discovered that there was a gaping hole where our TV once was. Upon further investigation it was clear that someone had managed to climb and get in through the kitchen window. Robber moved and unplugged the refrigerator??? Was the robber looking for something else and when nothing was found went for the television? Was the robber in the wrong house??? I don’t have anything hiding behind my refrigerator, especially anything they might be looking for!! Had the robber scouted out the joint prior with the TV the goal, and unplugging the refrigerator their MO?

Who the “F” knows!!

The TV and a camera were taken, both of which were in vision upon entering the home. This appears to have been a quick operation.

My dog may have been stricken or at least could sense they were ‘bad guys’, as she was discovered downstairs hiding in the bathroom and shaking.

I hope these jerks get busted. You mess with my dog, you mess with my family.

Another reminder, the West Seattle Crime Prevention Council meets at 7 tonight, Southwest Precinct. We’ll hear about local crime trends, as well as the traffic-safety speaker we’ve previewed already.

1. Absolutely…mess with dogs and there’s gonna’ be trouble…I have an 80 lb lab, though, and he may not cower so easily…sorry for your stolen property and the violation to begin with…sob’s!

Comment by onceachef — 12:34 pm April 19, 2011 #

2. You said it. You break into my home, you touch my dog, so much as look at him wrong, and all I can “remind” you of is: “Say hello to my little friend.” I’m so, so sorry about your (baby), because NO ONE has the right to make him feel unsafe or afraid…ever, especially in his own home. MFers! Albeit, nothing short of maddening, your stuff can be replaced. Your peace of mind; not so easy.

I just can’t wait to come to WSB and read about the guy that finally got his when he entered the “wrong house”. This crap has gotten so old and eventually a law abiding citizen will have had enough. Oh, and for the bleeding hearts who are going to respond to me about violence doesn’t solve anything, criminals need to be hugged, we need to start positive education earlier in school, the police need to do their jobs, etc., etc., can well, just …

Comment by Live From Paris — 9:21 pm April 19, 2011 #

3. That is my fear- my dog will have nowhere to hide if an invader comes in and tries to harm her. Can anyone provide more detail about these break ins? The home page listed times, thats great-but we are at work! any advice on prevention or info from the meeting tonight?

Comment by resident3 — 9:52 pm April 19, 2011 #

4. Resident3, I reported *from* the meeting. That’s all the information. Believe me. Plus me chasing down the Captain afterward to ask if there is anything additional in terms of descriptions to share, etc. If you want to look at where burglaries have happened in the past two weeks – which I intend to do a bit later, to append to this – you can view this map – burglaries are usually the “broken window” type icon:
    It defaults to the past week but you can use the slider on the left side to take it back two weeks, I think. Prevention was not discussed but SPD’s general advice is here:
    Better yet, be SURE you have a Block Watch! If you don’t know, check in with the West Seattle Blockwatch Captains’ Network:
    -TR
    P.S. Here are the links to the stories in which people have reported burglaries for Crime Watch (after reporting to the police, of course) in case any details here answer your questions:
    Published today:
    (one of those burglaries was upper Morgan, one near The Junction)
    One in the North Delridge area was described here:
    One in the High Point area was described here:
    And from there it’s further back than two weeks.

Comment by WSB — 10:01 pm April 19, 2011 #

5. WSB- thank you for the info you can get and for what you do.

Comment by resident3 — 10:09 pm April 19, 2011 #