Own a piece of the Charlestown Street Café: Auction set April 29

April 14, 2011 at 12:47 pm | In Charlestown Cafe, West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 12 Comments

Thanks to the WSB’er who called (206-293-6302, 24/7) to let us know that the Charlestown Street Café has just turned up on the schedule for auctioneers James G. Murphy Co. (And thanks to Rob, who just sent a note about the same thing.) The auction is scheduled at the restaurant site (California/Charlestown) at 10 am April 29th, after a two-hour preview period 8-10 am. The full catalog is not online yet, but some items are up for preview right now. (In case you missed it, the café “closed forever” – as the paper-plate sign in our photo declared – on April 3rd, with owner Ron Hanlon citing the economy.) Murphy handles many auctions in our region, and this announcement revives memories of the auction for another beloved longtime restaurant – the Corner Inn, back in 2008 (WSB coverage here).

1. Any chance they are going to release or sell the clam chowder recipe?

Comment by Westsider — 2:20 pm April 14, 2011 #

2. No way will they sell the recipe. Larry would never give up the secret!

Comment by G — 2:27 pm April 14, 2011 #

3. Forget the chowder…I’d pay big for their pancake recipe!

Comment by lenguamor — 4:42 pm April 14, 2011 #

4. What about those priceless vegetable paintings they had on the walls all those years? I particularly liked the asparagus and artichoke ones.

Comment by 4thGenWest Side — 5:28 pm April 14, 2011 #

5. I would love to see Julia’s take over that building.

Comment by Admiral Janeway — 5:59 pm April 14, 2011 #

6. I second A. Janeway.

Comment by Jeremiah — 6:53 pm April 14, 2011 #

7. I ate at the charleston the last day they were open. All four credit cards used at our table were comprimised by somebody there. If you were there recently check your statement. ..I had a fraudulent charge of over $1000 at QFC…and I still have the card!

Comment by seattlecris — 11:40 pm April 14, 2011 #

8. At least you can still get the same chowder at Pike Place Chowder at Pike Place Market and also Pacific Place top floor at 7th and Pine. Same owner, too!
    But I will sorely miss the smoked salmon benedict.

Comment by Myron Jenkins — 12:47 pm April 19, 2011 #

9. I ate lunch there the last day, used my debit card but no problem. Too bad someone there took advantage. Figured they couldn’t be traced I’ll bet. Will miss convenience when went to Swedish Clinic or for hair cut across the street.

Comment by Betty Tester — 1:45 pm April 28, 2011 #

10. Interesting comment by seattlecris — we recently had credit card fraud after using our card at Charlestown Cafe – used the card on 4-3-11 and had a charge of $ 1027.44 used by a cloned card at a QFC in the U DIstrict on 4-11-11 – who buys $ 1000 worth of groceries ? Who knows if there is any connection but this is very similar.

Comment by Jack Loblaw — 6:49 am April 29, 2011 #

11. @Seattlercris:
    I had the same problem. And, oddly enough it seemed to coincide with the last day’s breakfast we ate at Websters. The thief also used my debit card number to purchase over $1000 at QFC in Wallingford. They also filled their car(s?) up at the QFC gas station. I reported this to the police and now have a case number. Believe it or not, we were told by QFC that $1000 transactions are not abnormal for them. Too bad they didn’t think to check for ID.

Ask me if I’m grinning.

Comment by Jill Loblaw — 7:43 am April 29, 2011 #

12. @Seattlecris: If you haven’t filed a police report, I urge you to do so. This might help the police narrow down our suspect. I forgot to mention earlier that the thief also got their nails done at a mani, pedi joint up in the U-District. They even tipped the manicurist $20.

Comment by Jill Loblaw — 7:51 am April 29, 2011 #