West Seattle Crime Watch: 2 hurt in ‘home invasion’ attack

January 10, 2011 at 2:40 am | In Crime, West Seattle news | 10 Comments

ORIGINAL 2:40 AM REPORT: No arrests yet in a Sunday night break-in that left two people with minor injuries. It happened around 8:30 pm in the 8800 block of 16th SW (map), according to Southwest Precinct Lt. Alan Williams. He says “initial reports” indicate two people wearing ski masks and armed with handguns forced their way into a house. They kicked one person – who declined medical assistance – and hit another with one of the guns; that person was taken to a hospital to have a facial injury checked out. A third person who was home apparently scared the attackers/would-be robbers away by running out of the house to call police; that, says Lt. Williams, led the attackers to run away too. Scanner traffic we heard at the time indicated a K-9 unit was used to try to find them, but searchers didn’t have any luck. Lt. Williams says detectives from the robbery division are now handling the case.

9:31 AM UPDATE: There’s now a story about this on SPDBlotter. Details are mostly the same, with a few additions: The ski-masked robbers are described as black men between 20 and 30; they are believed to have stolen a wallet; and police are asking the public for any information.

1. Yikes, we don’t live very far from that. Any word on whether it was random or not?

Comment by MB — 7:41 am January 10, 2011 #

2. Yikes is right!! Too close for comfort ! I would also like to know if it was random. How scary!!

Comment by Cclarue — 8:43 am January 10, 2011 #

3. That’s my block. I was home then and heard nothing. Scary.

Comment by chris — 9:06 am January 10, 2011 #

4. I live a couple of blocks away from this site. There has been at least one other forced entry burglary on my block this last year. My house was also burglarized last year. I love W. Seattle, but this makes it hard to do so.

Comment by Isaac — 9:32 am January 10, 2011 #

5. I live there!! Way to close to home. Better go stock up on ammo and turn the alarm on at night.

Comment by Aj — 10:29 am January 10, 2011 #

6. Ammo is right! These people better realize quickly they’re not the only ones with guns. And I’m not afraid to use mine, either. Especially with a little one at home :(

Comment by LZ — 12:45 pm January 10, 2011 #

7. I assumed it was looking for known drugs but a wallet?! That is scary!!

Comment by Robin — 9:10 pm January 10, 2011 #

8. Also live on that block — right around the corner. In fact, my house’s backyard may butt up against the victims’ if it’s on “my” side of the street. I heard absolutely nothing. Scary.

Comment by AG — 3:06 pm January 11, 2011 #

9. I was driving home from Cafe Rozella’s and I saw lots of cop cars , did not know what was going on but I new that something was up but not sure what ,looked like they were looking for someone

Comment by LR — 12:55 pm January 12, 2011 #