No formal ID yet, but family says Bainbridge body was Jeremy Peck

January 20, 2011 at 3:07 pm | In West Seattle people, West Seattle police | 43 Comments

(Wednesday photo by Tristan Baurick/Kitsap Sun; used with permission)
3:07 PM: Following up on yesterday’s discovery of a body washing up on Bainbridge Island (WSB coverage here), drawing the interest of Seattle Police: Though the King County Medical Examiner told us a few minutes ago that they’re not formally identifying the body that washed up on Bainbridge yet – they just brought it to their facility today – other sources including KIRO-TV say the family has been told it’s 24-year-old Jeremy Peck. We just talked with Seattle Police Det. Mark Jamieson, who told WSB that while they also have not been officially notified it’s Jeremy, if and when they do get that notification, what they do next still depends on what the cause of death turns out to be – whether it was homicide, accidental, or suicide. It’s been exactly two weeks since our first story on Jeremy’s disappearance; family and friends say he was last seen early the morning of December 24th.

5:07 PM UPDATE: The Medical Examiner’s Office puts out a daily media update each afternoon; today’s update ends with a note that the “the body (found) in Puget Sound” will be examined tomorrow (Friday).

1. Wow, I am sorry to hear that. I guess there is something to be said about closure for the family but that is NOT the ending we all were hoping for.

Comment by Westside — 3:10 pm January 20, 2011 #

2. So sorry John,I can’t imagine what you’re going through.We all tried to find him and had hope.I really pray that if this was foul play,someone will please come forward and say something.The family deserves closure and answers.

Comment by Alki Resident — 3:11 pm January 20, 2011 #

3. Such a sad thing to happen to such a young man.

Comment by T-Rex — 3:14 pm January 20, 2011 #

4. My heart is broken…rip Jeremy.

Comment by Kelly — 3:16 pm January 20, 2011 #

5. John, I’m so sorry to hear about Jeremy. He’s was a good guy and you were a great Dad to him and Bobbi Jo. Love you buddy, wish things were different but I hope this gives your family some closure.

Mike(y) Adams

Comment by Michael Adams — 3:22 pm January 20, 2011 #

6. This breaks my heart :( I have friends that are friends of his. I was really hoping for a miracle happy ending. My thoughts and prayers are with Jeremy and his family. I know lots of people who have walked home from our local bars late at night. This hits so close to home.

Comment by MB — 3:24 pm January 20, 2011 #

7. Jeremy, may we create a legacy for you that honors you in every way! You brought so much to all of us.

Comment by Deone Benninghoven — 3:26 pm January 20, 2011 #

8. I am so sorry.

Comment by Valerie — 3:26 pm January 20, 2011 #

9. This breaks my heart

Comment by Tina Witten — 3:28 pm January 20, 2011 #

10. My deepest condolences. I am very sorry to hear this sad news.

Comment by Que — 3:30 pm January 20, 2011 #

11. I am sorry to hear that… I remember him playing basketball down at the Alki Community Center back in the day… Jeremy you will be missed…

Comment by Leonor — 3:33 pm January 20, 2011 #

12. I also just want to add that I have heard nothing but good things about JP from friends of mine who knew him well…one who even wished his own brother would hang out with more people like Jeremy.

Comment by MB — 3:36 pm January 20, 2011 #

13. I did not know Jeremy, but my heart goes out to the family during this difficult time. This hits close to home as my fiance and I walk to places and sometimes late at night. So sad that this happened. like Alki resident said the family deserves answers and closures.

Comment by argiles — 3:36 pm January 20, 2011 #

14. We were all hoping that this was not him. Prayers to his family and friends!

Comment by ABS — 3:37 pm January 20, 2011 #

15. This breaks my heart to hear this. Such sad news.

Comment by JBL — 3:41 pm January 20, 2011 #

16. Very sad news indeed. My condolences to Jeremy’s family and friends.

Comment by Kate K — 3:47 pm January 20, 2011 #

17. Condolences to the family…very sorry to hear this.

Comment by onceachef — 4:25 pm January 20, 2011 #

18. i can’t imagine how horrible this must be for jeremy’s family. my heart goes out to all that are grieving.

Comment by RarelyEver — 4:40 pm January 20, 2011 #

19. So sorry to hear this John. Praying for you and your family.

Comment by Diane Walter — 4:55 pm January 20, 2011 #

20. The Seattle Times is reporting that dental records have confirmed his identity. I am so sorry for all.

Comment by Pat — 5:38 pm January 20, 2011 #

21. So sad to hear this ending. We always smiled when JP came in to our shop. We’re praying for his family and for all of his friends who will miss him each and every day.

Comment by DBurns — 7:37 pm January 20, 2011 #

22. Terrible, I’m so sorry. I feel like I know him because his smiling face is in posters all over West Seattle. I was driving yesterday through White Center and looked over and his face was there. My sincere condolences to his parents, family and friends. Such a tragic loss.

Comment by sad — 7:56 pm January 20, 2011 #

23. So sad to hear this. My deepest condolences to family and friends. May you find peace in your hearts…

Comment by throughthelens — 8:27 pm January 20, 2011 #

24. I am so sorry.

Comment by JoAnne — 8:30 pm January 20, 2011 #

25. RIP Jeremy you will be missed

Comment by t — 9:13 pm January 20, 2011 #

26. I just saw his smiling face on a poster yesterday at SCCC. So sorry to hear this!

Comment by acemotel — 9:27 pm January 20, 2011 #

27. My heart goes out to the family and friends of this young man, but I agree with argiles: there need to be answers and closure here, as this case has opened up a Pandora’s Box of questions. Since when does a seemingly well-adjusted, normal young man leave a WS bar and wash up nearly a month later on the other side of the sound? The currents run N/S here; what falls into the water on this side stays on this side. My gut tells me there’s a lot more to this than meets the eye, and there are people out there who have cards they’re not showing. Hopefully the SPD can smoke out some answers now.

Comment by Lamont Cranston — 9:28 pm January 20, 2011 #

28. So very sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to the family and friends.

Comment by Amy — 9:42 pm January 20, 2011 #

29. my heart just sunk reading this. my thoughts and prayers are with jeremy’s family.

Comment by LyndaB — 10:06 pm January 20, 2011 #

30. I am SO sorry. :( My heart goes out to his family.

Comment by SJ2 — 10:51 pm January 20, 2011 #

31. I am so sorry. God bless.

Comment by Noelle — 10:59 pm January 20, 2011 #

32. I met this young man-Jeremy on his 24th birthday a few weeks ago and than again a week or so after that and then he was gone! Some unknown person played God and took this mans life! Now his Uncle, father and friends lives will never be the same. I am so sorry John & Steve…God Bless…I will never forget Jeremy!!

Comment by MsEvelyn — 11:29 pm January 20, 2011 #

33. So, your headline says “family says Bainbridge body was Jeremy Peck.” Yet nowhere in the story or related sources does anyone actually say it’s him. You mention KIRO saying “the family has been told” but there’s no official comment — from police or family. Just wondering how you arrived at the headline considering the actual lack of any kind of attributable facts.

Comment by RW — 1:19 am January 21, 2011 #

34. Unfortunate. Have you ever heard of the “Smiley Face Killer”. When he went missing I said, “how odd, this reminds me of a situation I heard back East.” And wouldn’t you know it, an able bodied, well adjusted man lost his life completely without cause or reason (at this point) and was found washed up near a body of water. Hopefully answers are provided.

Comment by Just A Thought — 1:59 am January 21, 2011 #

35. My heart goes out to his friends and family. I will pray for peace for you all at this time.

Comment by Cclarue — 6:45 am January 21, 2011 #

36. John, and family I want you to know you have been in my thoughts and prayers since I heard about Jeremy missing. I know what a loving and caring dad you must have been for those two children. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you will get some answers to what happened.

Comment by Denise Harig — 7:38 am January 21, 2011 #

37. I’m so very sorry to hear this news. I didn’t know Jeremy but I feel for his kind friends and family members who looked so hard for him.

Comment by Kelly — 7:45 am January 21, 2011 #

38. just the news we all didn’t want. JP your missed by all here in the west R.I.P Jeremy

Comment by j — 11:02 am January 21, 2011 #

39. Just t the news we all didn’t want. JP your missed by all here in the west R.I.P Jeremy you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment by j — 11:05 am January 21, 2011 #

40. gonna miss you jp my hearts out there for everyone who knew this guy.JP was the most likeable outta the whole group he ran around with and this just hits way to close to home. gonna miss you bro r.i.p

Comment by b.l. — 11:36 am January 21, 2011 #

41. @ Just A Thought: That is really weird! A week ago, I noticed someone painted a smiley face on the street in front of my house on Beach Drive! I think I’ll call the police tomorrow. It’s a reeeeeaaallll long shot, but that’s just a little eerie.

Comment by Yikes! — 10:18 pm January 21, 2011 #

42. I am sorry to hear this and I also tend to believe it was NOT an accident. I am wondering if anyone has considered a connection to the college student at WWU who was found in a very similar environment and disappeared under the same circumstances. Serial killers do move around. I don’t buy the police’s conclusion that the WWU student’s death was accidental either. When I’m drunk and alone, I go home, I don’t go to the beach.

Comment by C.D. — 10:21 pm January 21, 2011 #

43. This goes without saying I suppose, yet I feel strongly that I still should say it. Please, everyone, be careful, watchful, and protective of one another as we move through this!! We all know who fits and who doesn’t fit. Also, I strongly suggest that no one walk down Bonair, etc. alone. As an Alki resident, I have seen questionable encampments behind the lookout from time to time in the last year.

Comment by Deone Benninghoven — 11:09 am January 22, 2011 #