West Seattle Crime Watch: Hit-run crash

December 27, 2010 at 4:20 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 10 Comments

Just out of the WSB inbox from Jennifer, regarding a hit-run reported in The Junction:

We are looking for a burgundy VW van with black ski equipment on the roof – it just rear-ended my boss’s Toyota Camry at the corner of California and Erskine, just around 3:15pm today.

If anyone knows the license plate or saw what happened, we’d appreciate it if you could contact the Seattle PD…as you can imagine, my boss was a little shaken up and didn’t see the license plate number.

Much appreciated for any help!!

1. Jennifer: ask your boss if it was a square VW van or the older rounded surfer type VW van. I am aware of the square “eurovan” models on Genessee hill and don’t recall a maroon one. In either case it should stick out. Good luck.

Comment by John long — 4:57 pm December 27, 2010 #

2. I swear I saw this VW at the junction on christmas eve. I always take note of a vintage bus because I have one. It had a handicap parking pass in the window and I think it was a ’69

Comment by sophista-tiki — 5:11 pm December 27, 2010 #

3. In case it is helpful in identifying the VW van in question I posted a picture showing the various generations of Busses.
    Looks like Google won’t preview it, so you gotta download if you want to see it. Best of luck!

Comment by 35this35mph — 8:19 pm December 27, 2010 #

4. Ask the dudes at Hans vw repair shop on 35th. They might have their car worked on there?!?!?

Comment by E — 8:29 pm December 27, 2010 #

5. No offense but how could a VW van do a hit and RUN? I mean a guy on a bicycle can probably run one down.
    Seriously, that sucks. I get a bit depressed at the lack of responsibility these days.

Comment by Eric — 10:46 pm December 27, 2010 #

6. So was this what all the sirens and police and fire trucks were about tonight about 4:30 – 5:00? I heard the streets were blocked with police diverting traffic.

Comment by Genessee neighbor — 11:01 pm December 27, 2010 #

7. This was earlier. There was a crash at California/Oregon at 4:45, not serious, if that’s the area you’re talking about … it “closed” before we even could head out to check on it. – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:13 pm December 27, 2010 #

8. 72 vw van had a porche 914 engine. All of them would do 70-80 with a tail wind.
    Many or the restorations of older vans get a porche air cooled engine.

As Han.

Comment by Ken — 7:05 am December 28, 2010 #

9. I’ve got a 64 split window and its all metal vinatgeness has done major damage to modern plastic cars. Dont underestimate a bus.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 8:18 am December 28, 2010 #

10. It was an older model Vanagon, according to my boss. No sign of the “Burgundy Evil-Doer” yet, but we’ll keep a look-out. Thanks again to everyone who commented – keep WS safe!

Comment by Jennifer — 10:55 am December 28, 2010 #