West Seattle Crime Watch: Another business A-board stolen

September 7, 2010 at 2:21 pm | In Crime, West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 15 Comments

At least a few times a year, we hear about West Seattle businesses’ promotional A-boards being stolen – and it’s happened again. Christen Cottam from knows perfume, relatively new in The Junction, sent the photo:

My beautiful sandwich board was stolen … some time between when I closed the shop on Sunday at 5:00 and when I came in at 11:00 today. Courtney from Wallflower Framing made it for me, and I just got it a few weeks ago – it’s so beautiful!

For those who invariably bring it up every time one of these thefts happens, here’s the city code. Anyone who feels there’s an encroachment can report it, rather than resorting to theft.

1. I am sorry your sign was stolen, start checking garage and yard sale signs. This is likely why it was stolen.

Quick question though why didn’t you take it in when you were closing your store on Sunday?

Comment by Silly Goose — 2:27 pm September 7, 2010 #

2. That stinks!!

Comment by marty — 2:28 pm September 7, 2010 #

3. I have to wonder, as silly goose does, about why it is not brought in nightly. I used to have a coffee stand, and I made sure mine were safe inside each night.

Comment by My thought — 2:53 pm September 7, 2010 #

4. Sorry to hear that!

Comment by Cami — 3:35 pm September 7, 2010 #

5. So did I read the ordinance correctly? The sign was only supposed to be displayed for 2 weeks, 4 times a year? I used to know the guy that did street use permits for signs and understand the reasoning for controlling those signs. But it sure is tough to lose something like that. I hate to mention the teachable moment here, but I learned something.

Comment by Born To Be Mild — 3:38 pm September 7, 2010 #

6. Edit: oops, missed the very last line of the original post. WSB already covered what I’d said…

Comment by SarahScoot — 3:40 pm September 7, 2010 #

7. Ordinance or no ordinance, left outside by the shop keeper or not, it’s LAME that someone would resort to stealing something that doesn’t belong to them. Worst kinda low IMO.

Comment by Cheryl — 3:51 pm September 7, 2010 #

8. We have had vandals on more than one occasion knock down hanging for sale or for rent signs on California, north of Charleston. Looks like as they walk by they just give them a good swing and knock them down. Random destruction for no good purpose.

Comment by Carole — 4:18 pm September 7, 2010 #

9. Some people are so pathetic.

Comment by MB — 5:24 pm September 7, 2010 #

10. Well, Carole, look at the bright side, them darn vandals could have been swinging at real people…

Comment by Baba — 5:54 pm September 7, 2010 #

11. I have said it before, I hate those boards and don’t feel sorry for businesses that lose them. they are fine during business hours if they don’t impede the the sidewalk. But they are left all up and down the Avenue. I saw a young blind man walk smack into one. they are left on the corners, in the wheelchair ramps. Businesses that don’t care for the community, don’t get respected.

Comment by newnative — 10:56 pm September 7, 2010 #

12. i hate people who steal. im sorry your sign got stolen.. but there are lots of dumb people out there.. i suggest to anyone who has one of these boards to bring them in at night after you close.. i work in a bar in the junction and we bring everything in at night..once our cigarette ashtray was stolen.. and it was nasty.. people will take anything not bolted down

Comment by aw — 3:11 am September 8, 2010 #

13. I don’t like the boards either. If there is a board blocking the sidewalk, I don’t go into the store. If the board is out of the way and legal, OK. In any case stealing is even worse.

Comment by Will o the wisp — 9:13 am September 8, 2010 #

14. Hi all,

My sign just made it back to me, thank goodness!

And yes, I totally agree that it was a teachable moment. Normally I do take it in every night. I’d propped it against the wall to go get a towel and dry it off before bringing it in, and must have gotten sidetracked. It does happen, human that I am. And I promise I never put my board in the way of pedestrians. I’m a runner, and it’s terrible to try to dodge sandwich boards when out and about.

Thanks and take care,

Christen @ Knows Perfume

Comment by Christen — 5:17 pm September 8, 2010 #

15. Glad you got your sign back Christen! Sorry there are so many A*hole comments about how it was all your fault & how businesses that want people to know where they are must be jerks.
    What’s worse people? NO businesses in the Junction, with empty storefronts-druggies-crime, or a VIBRANT business district with A-boards welcoming us in? I’ll take the later, thanks very much.
    I think most business owners should be patted on the back for bothering with A*hole customers. Respect goes BOTH ways.

Comment by Cheryl — 7:32 am September 11, 2010 #