Election 2010: Endorsement(s) ahead for 34th District Democrats

September 7, 2010 at 2:03 pm | In 34th District State House 2, West Seattle news, West Seattle politics | 8 Comments

Just eight weeks till the general election, and of course voting will start a lot sooner, because of the mail-in system. West Seattle ballots will include two races for major seats with no incumbents in the running, and tomorrow night, the 34th District Democrats are scheduled to decide who to endorse in one of those races. They’ve already endorsed State Sen. Joe McDermott for King County Council Position 8 (he and Diana Toledo are the candidates in the nonpartisan race), but their original endorsee in the 34th District State House Position 2 race, Marcee Stone, didn’t make it to the general, so they have to decide between Joe Fitzgibbon of Burien and Mike Heavey of West Seattle. While Heavey took himself out of the running for the pre-primary endorsement, he tells WSB today that he does plan to seek the 34th DDs’ endorsement tomorrow night. The meeting’s at 7 pm tomorrow (Wednesday), The Hall at Fauntleroy; the agenda says other endorsements TBD might be discussed as well.

1. We intend to have someone there with information on why Saying No on the Seattle School Levy is the better choice for kids and schools.

Comment by Dorothy — 3:10 pm September 7, 2010 #

2. What happened with this last administration really changed my perspective on things. As much of a joke Bush was, or even any president that I can recall in my life that almost flushed us down the toilet – I still had respect for him as the leader of our country – for better or for worse. I may not have voted nor agreed, but I had respect. This current administration – I have no problem saying is a complete joke.

Comment by Baba — 3:36 pm September 7, 2010 #

3. baba: why did you respect bush as a leader, but not obama? what “changed your perspective on things?”

Comment by redblack — 6:19 am September 8, 2010 #

4. McDermott and Toledo are in a “nonpartisan race”? To quote the great Dorothy Parker, “And I am Marie of Romania.”

Comment by OP — 11:46 am September 8, 2010 #

5. That’s how the county classifies it, not an editorial position. – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:50 am September 8, 2010 #

6. I’m not really sure why anyone’s opinion of either Bush or Obama as leaders should be relevant to a state legislative race, particularly one with two Democrats running in it.

Comment by Mickymse — 3:38 pm September 8, 2010 #

7. @redblack, I can answer your question, but WSB is not the place for essays, plus even If I chose to write one here, I know that all my efforts can be easily rebutted by simple name calling: Unpatriotic, racist etc…. ( There is nothing really you can say after being called THAT!)
    So, please, do your own research, the Democrats have the votes of all welfare recipients in their bag already. As Margaret Thatcher once said – Socialism only works until you run out of other peoples money to spend.
    @Micky, say hello to Minnie…

Comment by Baba — 4:58 pm September 8, 2010 #

8. @baba: hmm. i’m successful, nowhere near welfare, and i voted for obama. i work harder than most people – and for someone else’s business! – and don’t want anything for free, if that’s what you’re implying.
    but i do want my fellow americans to have a government and a community that will help them if they fall on hard times, and i will gladly pay into that system.
    but i digress. maybe you should go to the politics forum on WSB and speak your piece.
    @mickymse: think globally. act locally. the paradigm is relevant here.

Comment by redblack — 10:15 pm September 8, 2010 #