West Seattle scene: Fistful of Mercy a traffic-stopper at Easy Street

August 26, 2010 at 9:10 pm | In West Seattle news, WS culture/arts | 28 Comments

(Photos by Christopher Boffoli)
If you drove through The Junction tonight and spotted the huge crowd spilling into the street from Easy Street Records – big night for music fans. The store hosted – free! – the public debut of Fistful of Mercy, a new group with three names you might recognize: Ben Harper, Joseph Arthur, and Dhani Harrison. Hundreds showed up for a glimpse and a listen:

Fistful of Mercy is based in Venice, California. They’ve got a website – but it looks like you’ll find out about them right now on the band’s Facebook page. ADDED 10:17 PM: From comments, here’s video shot and uploaded to YouTube by “k”:

And Christopher’s clip from the crowd-in-the-street perspective:

1. Only WestSeattledood noticed my post in the forums section and apparently brought along a few of his friends!

Comment by Leroniusmonkfish — 9:22 pm August 26, 2010 #

2. Thank you Easy Street!
    Thank you Ben, Dhani & Joseph!

What a great sound. What a great venue. What a great crowd. What a great summer night.

Perfect. Love you West Seattle!

Comment by westseattledood — 9:23 pm August 26, 2010 #

3. Ben Harper is one of my faves! Love his music!

Comment by Noelle — 9:50 pm August 26, 2010 #

4. Aha! That’s where everybody was! We were the Admiral Concert at Hiawatha…

Comment by Manolita — 9:56 pm August 26, 2010 #

5. LMonkfish, I retweeted Easy Street’s Twitter announcement of this, made yesterday, but didn’t realize it was a Really Giant Deal or else we would have previewed it on the home page too. Thank heavens ace phojo Christopher was available to go check out the crowd on short notice once WSD tipped us to the magnitude of the crowd … TR

Comment by WSB — 10:05 pm August 26, 2010 #

6. Damn… how did I miss this?

Comment by CB — 10:11 pm August 26, 2010 #

7. thought i would share some video i shot tonight. it was great to be there!

Comment by k — 10:14 pm August 26, 2010 #

8. Nice, “k”! I’m going to embed that in the post too – I was hoping somebody would have video! Bonus that it’s you :) – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:16 pm August 26, 2010 #

9. a few photos i took tonight too. great to see the turnout tonight! according to sources there, Ben Harper decided he wanted the show to be at Easy Street on Monday.

Comment by k — 10:32 pm August 26, 2010 #

10. I am glad everyone enjoyed the show. Easy Street is a West Seattle tradition and I commend their support of new and upcomming local musicians but why were these people allowed to block the street and harass motorists.

Comment by SAM — 11:46 pm August 26, 2010 #

11. History in the making, this is so amazing! Ben, Dhani, & Joseph, all three of these brilliant artists together, and Jessy on violin…..ohhh yeahhh!!

Comment by C. White — 3:39 am August 27, 2010 #

12. Come to St. Paul-Minneapolis!

Comment by Gene — 6:28 am August 27, 2010 #

13. So bummed I missed it too! LOVE Ben Harper!

Comment by MB — 7:42 am August 27, 2010 #

14. Yeah, was a good time, but that building was WAY over capacity. Fortunately, my wife and I are both tall people. I casually commented to her in the event of an emergency “just climb onto the cd cases…”

We happened to be in store picking up some music when the three of them walked in – Dhani Harrison wondered why all of Ben Harper’s music was on display, but none of his…made my wife chuckle. Ben seemed to be super nice, especially since there were a couple people there obviously just looking for autographs (they grabbed a bunch of BH merch off the shelves when he got out of his SUV and was standing outside the front entrance). Ended up watching the show amongst the KEXP/103.7 clique. Shawn Stewart gave my wife a hard time for not making a little more room for her, but squeezing in a little more space for Kevin Cole. Oh well, we recognized him…lol. Anyway, like I said, it was a good time! And thank god it wasn’t 80 degrees yesterday – it got HOT in there!

Comment by Left Turner — 7:56 am August 27, 2010 #

15. It was their first ever performance and they played as if it were there 200th. Such remarkable quality and truly wonderful songs.

Comment by Becky — 8:39 am August 27, 2010 #

16. This was a great show, I cant wait to see some more!

Comment by Juice — 8:49 am August 27, 2010 #

17. wow!! it would have been great to bwe walking down that street on that day and experiencing you guys.absolutely love this.. nice arrangement Ben and friends xo

Comment by debra evershed — 9:31 am August 27, 2010 #

18. Hey all -

I was sitting next to the stage and got some decent enough interior video, though it was on the iphone…folks who couldn’t be there or see the stage might appreciate this.

More will be added as I have time. I’ll also put up some pics and link that here later. Enjoy!

And thanks again to Easy Street Records and all of the crowd who made it such a great event!

Comment by westseattledood — 9:48 am August 27, 2010 #

19. WOW! What Talent! I couldn’t help but think I’m glad I came!!! Thanks Easy Street!

Comment by HDSportyfreak — 11:04 am August 27, 2010 #

20. Jesus! They are great!!Amazing sound and beautiful melodies. I can’t wait to see these guys.

Comment by Dany Frohlich — 11:39 am August 27, 2010 #

21. I didn’t go, but saw the crowds developing as I went to get takeout from Maharaja. I’ve lived in this hood for 20 years, and am thrilled to see West Seattle has such a thriving grass-roots culture scene.

Comment by I. Ponder — 1:20 pm August 27, 2010 #

22. Ben Harper is simply a gift. Congrats to Easy Street on landing this incredible instore opp with FOM. Loved that one of the dudes was wearing a KEXP tee, as well.

Comment by Alkira — 4:08 pm August 27, 2010 #

23. Oh man I would’ve loved to review this it looks like it was awesome!

Comment by Eastmeetsnw — 5:21 pm August 27, 2010 #

24. Love the performance by Joseph Arthur. Great little vid, quaint blog, too.

Comment by Zubyre — 7:46 pm August 27, 2010 #

25. Am I mistaken or is Dhani Harrison George Harrison’s son?

Comment by Cait — 9:51 pm August 27, 2010 #

26. According to something I read after writing this – yes, he is!

Comment by WSB — 10:34 pm August 27, 2010 #

27. Hello,
    this is Antonio, from Italy. We met at the fish sandwich shop in Pike Market, Seattle. Thanks for inviting me to Easy Street. If you need anything when you travel through Italy let me know, I live in Viterbo near Florence and Perugia, my wife and I will be honored to be of any help, your music makes us dream!
    Antonio
    antoniocoppola@msn.com

Comment by Antonio — 5:12 pm August 28, 2010 #

28. The band must have appreciated the outpouring of love from everyone as they changed their Facebook “Hometown” from Santa Monica to Seattle!

Comment by Leroniusmonkfish — 6:44 pm August 28, 2010 #