West Seattle Crime Watch: Drumming up support to find ‘Bones’

July 6, 2010 at 9:09 am | In Crime, Delridge, West Seattle news | 13 Comments

That’s a photo of “Bones” – a North Delridge neighborhood fixture before somebody “kidnapped” him from his driveway-side “stage” a few days ago, according to a creative, plaintive post published to the WSB Forums. In a subsequent e-mail conversation, his owners told us:

On July 2 someone stole (“Bones”) just after we’d spent a great deal of time and money repairing him from weather damage, and we’d really like to have him returned since he has great sentimental value as well as being a significant time and financial investment.

They don’t want to make their contact info public at this point – they just hope that publicizing the theft will inspire someone who knows something to find a way to get “Bones” back to his rightful place as part of their garden-art display.

1. Stealing anything is pretty low. Stealing art is lower than low. Hope Bones is home soon and said thieves get a kick in the nuts from Karma.

Comment by HelperMonkey — 9:14 am July 6, 2010 #

2. that is terrible !! I noticed him missing yesterday (and his girlfriend is gone too?) I consider him a neighborhood greeter and smile every time I drive by. I hope he is returned..

Comment by sam — 9:19 am July 6, 2010 #

3. Why did you leave “Bones?” Please return home soon, and giv’em hell while your gone.

Comment by lemers — 10:03 am July 6, 2010 #

4. That sucks. You can’t keep anything good in your yard anymore, because some low-life thinks he or she deserves it more than you.

Comment by AnotherIdiotInWS — 10:59 am July 6, 2010 #

5. Oh that stinks. I love Bones. We drive that way to get home on a regular basis and we were fascinated when he was being installed.

I hope he is returned soon in good condition.

Comment by Cecelia — 11:39 am July 6, 2010 #

6. Seriously?! This is one of my favorite parts of living over here in Delridge… kooky art that (seemed like) no one would snatch. Hope he shows up — and I’ll keep my eyes peeled if I see him!

Comment by Megan B — 11:59 am July 6, 2010 #

7. I thought that was Charlie Watts from the Rolling Stones – I keep waiting for his buddy Keith Richards to show up.

Comment by Eddie — 12:25 pm July 6, 2010 #

8. I was wondering where they went! I hope they make it home soon!!

Comment by crystal — 12:38 pm July 6, 2010 #

9. Thanks for everyone’s concern and we can honestly say that the best aspect of the house band has been the community’s enjoyment! We’d hoped it would inspire smiles, and are delighted to learn it did.

And for those concerned about the singer, Ms. Cisum, fortunately she is safe and currently also undergoing restorative surgery (Seattle winters are brutal on local musicians!). We were also hoping to debut other musicians by the summer’s end, however, until we can insure their (and our own) safety we’ve decided to disband the group (hopefully) temporarily. Although we do hope the gear, and soon to bloom flurs, continue to brighten the days of passersby.

Thanks again for your concern and any assistance provided in the return of Bones!

Comment by NicNDuB — 2:50 pm July 6, 2010 #

10. What a bummer – “bones was a real piece of Art and who ever stole him better bring him back in one piece – a big thank you would be in order – what lowlife would do this? Keep the faith it WILL show up!!

Comment by Mom and Dad — 3:05 pm July 6, 2010 #

11. Oh NO! Dang thieves.

Bones is cool and remarkably resilient, I might add. This characteristic will be a plus while he is held temporarily captive, I hope.

Comment by d — 4:00 pm July 6, 2010 #

12. HE’S BACK!! I drove by at about 3:45 AM and there was Bones in the driveway. He looks a little worse for wear, but I’m sure he’ll be right as rain soon enough.

Comment by R0b0 — 4:18 am July 7, 2010 #

13. THANK YOU for Bones safe return!!!!

Comment by NicNDuB — 11:42 am July 7, 2010 #