Almost Blue Angels time! Museum of Flight announces schedule

July 21, 2010 at 11:13 am | In Blue Angels, West Seattle news | 19 Comments

onrunwaythree.jpg

(WSB photo from August 2007, watching the Blues’ takeoff from the Museum of Flight)
Almost that time of year when longtime WSB’ers know we go a little crazy for the Blue Angels during their Seafair visit. The not-too-far-away Museum of Flight is their home-away-from-home while they’re here – a great place to watch the takeoffs and landings (and you can glimpse some of the maneuvers too) – and they’ve just sent their official announcement of “Blue Angels Week” activities. Read on if you’re a fellow fan (or if you want to know when to get the earplugs out):

The world-famous U.S. Navy Blue Angels F/A-18 flight demonstration team star in the Boeing Air Show at Seafair’s Albert Lee Cup hydroplane races on Aug. 7-8. The Museum of Flight is again Blue Angels’ headquarters during the team’s entire Seafair stay. Blue Angels family activities will be featured all week, with events inside and outside of the Museum. The Museum hours will be extended–opening one hour earlier–Friday Aug. 6 through Sunday, August 8 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Indoor programs are free with Museum admission.

Aug. 3: The Blue Angels arrive at Boeing Field mid-afternoon.
Aug. 4: Media flights in aircraft Number 7 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Aug. 5: Air show practice flights from 10 a.m. to noon and from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Aug. 6: Practice flights from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Aug. 7-8 weekend: The team departs for the air show at 1 p.m.; team returns at 2:30 p.m. Museum visitors will be able see the jets up close from Thursday, Aug. 5 through Sunday, August 8. Activities include the team’s precise pre-flight walkdowns, thrilling formation takeoffs and the chance to see some of the Navy’s finest pilots as they return from their practice sessions and show performances.

Parking Lot Concessions
Aug. 5-8, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visitors will be able to buy the latest Blue Angel hats, tee shirts and other souvenirs from the Museum store without missing any of the action outside. The Museum’s McCormick and Schmick’s Wings Café will be serving beverages and hot dogs. Meet SR-71 Blackbird pilot Brian Shul. Shul will be selling copies of his popular book, “Sled Driver.”

Bank of America Weekend Family Workshop – “Blue Angels Mania!”
August 6, 7, 8, noon to 3 p.m., Side Gallery
The Museum’s education staff will be offering engaging family activities that include making Blue Angels souvenirs.

“Sled Driver” – Lecture & Book Signing with Blackbird
Pilot Brian Shul
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Aug. 6-8, 2 p.m., William M. Allen Theater
Photographer, author, pilot and showman Brian Shul shares stories and photos from his experience as a “sled driver”–an SR-71 Blackbird pilot. The presentation is based upon his book, “Sled Driver,” which features Shul’s dazzling photography and insightful prose to illustrate what it is like to fly the world’s fastest jet, the SR-71 Blackbird. Shul’s program includes riveting accounts of Mach 3 runs over hostile territory and star gazing at 80,000 feet. This marks the 18th year Shul has appeared at the Museum during Blue Angels week. Shul has also traveled the air show circuit with the Blue Angels for his book “Blue Angels: A Portrait of Gold.” The program is free with admission to the Museum.

P.S. If you usually get to the Museum of Flight through South Park – as we did, living in the south half of West Seattle – remember that since the South Park Bridge is gone, you’ll need to plot a different route this year (we’re still mulling ours).

1. thanks for the schedule!

“Aug. 4: Media flights in aircraft Number 7 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.”

is WSB included in the media flights – do you get to go???

Comment by sam — 11:16 am July 21, 2010 #

2. You have to request at least a year in advance. I’ve managed reporters/anchors who went up, during my TV years (and had to listen to the stories, including the shall-be-nameless TV anchor whose resulting story was mostly about how many times he threw up), but have never put in a request. I am acrophobic and definitely not cut out for this sort of thing but maybe some year in the future someone working for us would be up for it!!!! We could at least have the specific “hey look, that’s Alki down there” angle :) – TR

Comment by WSB — 11:25 am July 21, 2010 #

3. I’ll take that photo for you any time, TR! ;) I’ll give you the exclusive rights if you want to deputize me as a WSB photographer to go. :D

Comment by CJP — 11:41 am July 21, 2010 #

4. I LOOOOOVE the Blue Angels.
    Since I work in the Leschi District on Lake Washington, by racing out of my workplace, and running across the street, I have an unobstructed view of the practice sessions on Thursday and Friday (I don’t work Sat or Sun).
    It’s well known (and accepted by boss, I might add) that my behavior on these days is yearly ritual.
    I can’t wait!
    Jo Ofsthus

Comment by Jo — 12:26 pm July 21, 2010 #

5. I cannot hardly stand the wait. The team will be in ID this weekend, AK next weekend and then SEATTLE!!! Oh my goodness, I need my fix of Blue Jets! Thanks for the update, WSB.

Comment by Lori — 1:05 pm July 21, 2010 #

6. “If you usually get to the Museum of Flight through South Park – as we did, living in the south half of West Seattle – remember that since the South Park Bridge is gone, you’ll need to plot a different route this year (we’re still mulling ours).”

Couldn’t you just fly down there in the WSB Zeppelin? ;)

Mike

Comment by miws — 5:20 pm July 21, 2010 #

7. Yay! Blue Angel time is my favorite.

Comment by lenguamor — 6:19 pm July 21, 2010 #

8. I am happy to report that my sweet dog is still alive after his Blue Angels terror induced stroke or heart attack last summer. I thought he was going to die that day.
    He did better with the 4th of July because his hearing is getting worse…but we still fear what will happen with the Blue’s…

Are there any parts of the local areas that won’t be roaring/rattling so much?

I also need to look into the meds to sedate him.

Will be difficult to coordinate this all with my work schedule. My poor Geriatric Pup!

Comment by ad — 11:12 pm July 21, 2010 #

9. We don’t get much over here, AD (southwest side – we’re uphill from Lincoln Park).

Comment by WSB — 11:15 pm July 21, 2010 #

10. I see that they practice Thursday from 10a to 12p and then from 130pm to 230pm. Does anyone know when they do most of the downtown Seattle flyovers – is it usually in the morning or afternoon on practice day?

Comment by Jennifer Cobb — 1:47 pm August 2, 2010 #

11. Downtown flyovers are usually during that first day’s first session, because that’s when, instead of actually practicing the show over Lake Washington, they do other maneuvers and scouting, which includes a broader pattern. But you may also see them as they arrive tomorrow (we’re awaiting news of what “mid-afternoon” really means). And certainly some of the show moves take them far out from Lake Washington as they circle back around … One year we were on the West Seattle Bridge when they flew right over, in a line! – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:57 pm August 2, 2010 #

12. Thanks…I knew you’d know, Tracy! I’m so excited!

Comment by Jennifer Cobb — 2:01 pm August 2, 2010 #

13. Geriatric dog owners not-withstanding, for those who complain about the noise of the Blue Angels…get over it. That, my friends, is the sound of your freedom being protected.

Comment by Paul — 3:49 pm August 2, 2010 #

14. They are Very cool & I am HAPPY to see them every year, but they DO Freak my 2 dogs out!

Comment by Noelle — 5:15 pm August 2, 2010 #

15. Let me know the approximate arrival time!!

Comment by Andy Clapp — 10:22 pm August 2, 2010 #

16. Soon as we get it. We’re watching all sources, from the news-media e-mail list we’re on, to Twitter/FB, and then some …

Comment by WSB — 10:36 pm August 2, 2010 #

17. NWCN just said 3pm touch down at KBFI

Comment by Andy Clapp — 9:14 am August 3, 2010 #

18. They may be right but until I see it directly from a plugged-in source, I’m not republishing it – thanks for the heads-up though, I will check aggressively in a few more spots to try to verify! – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:18 am August 3, 2010 #

19. Where’s the best free place to watch them? We live in Olympia so we’re not familiar with all the local knowledge about where to go to see them and when to get there, etc. Help?

Comment by Dennis Azevedo — 11:31 am August 3, 2010 #