West Seattle scene: Why DID the chickens cross the road?

June 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm | In Pets, Seen around town, West Seattle news | 19 Comments

After 30+ years in news, we finally get to use the old joke in a headline. Actually, Susanna Moore suggested it, sending these photos with this report:

Returned from a preschool pick-up to find these two in front of our house on Walnut Ave. in Admiral district. Who is missing these pretty chickens! Here are a few pictures – they’re still out there pecking at the grass and sidewalk….

Yes, we’ll add them to the lost-and-found Pets page too – but couldn’t resist; on a showery day, you would expect to see ducks wandering instead of chickens …

1. They’re looking for their friends, the goats!

Comment by I. Nertia — 2:14 pm June 2, 2010 #

2. If you can, please get them to a safe place until the owners see the post. Tames chickens can generally be picked up or ‘herded’ to a safer location. Otherwise they could be hit by a car, attacked by a dog, etc.

Comment by funkietoo — 2:20 pm June 2, 2010 #

3. I wonder. Can chickens be bribed the way dogs can? Obviously, I’ve no poultry that isn’t frozen at my house. ;)

Hoping they stay safe!

Comment by westseattledood — 2:37 pm June 2, 2010 #

4. IF those are the ones by Delridge and Holden, they are always there.

Comment by Meryl — 2:50 pm June 2, 2010 #

5. Unless they’ve been dropped off and abandoned, they will return home to roost as nighttime comes. They always go home at night to their own coop. Hopefully they’ll be safe until then.

Comment by Cynthia Reid — 3:02 pm June 2, 2010 #

6. Too bad they can’t show ‘Possums how to cross safely!

Comment by marty — 3:14 pm June 2, 2010 #

7. Put a rake or broom in each hand (IE something to extend each of your arms by about five feet) and you’ll be able to “shoo” them in the direction you want very effectively.

Comment by Tom — 3:20 pm June 2, 2010 #

8. Not realizing they were chickens, they headed to The Swinery to be the lunch special.

Comment by OP — 3:38 pm June 2, 2010 #

9. I swear, I have seen more peoples pets in West Seattle on the loose lately. Really people if you cannot take care of them, then its time for a new owner. And I sure hope there are no coyotes out there…. I have 2 neighbors that leave their small defenseless dogs outside all day long. Makes me so upset! Headline was perfect though…

Comment by coffee — 3:40 pm June 2, 2010 #

10. Dogs are hardly defenseless…. Just because an animal isn’t dressed in a little outfit or eating gourmet meals or even walked hourly at Lincoln Park with a designer leash doesn’t mean it isn’t well cared for. Animals, domestic or not, are designed to live outdoors. Get over yourself. Better yet, go get another latte… Starbucks could use some extra cash.

Comment by PCisANNOYING — 3:53 pm June 2, 2010 #

11. Meryl – Delridge and Holden’s a ways from Walnut in the Admiral District … I don’t think chickens tend to commute quite that far …

Comment by WSB — 3:57 pm June 2, 2010 #

12. Hope the coyotes don’t check the blog……

Comment by Vanessa — 4:10 pm June 2, 2010 #

13. Vanessa, lol!

Comment by pigeonmom — 4:29 pm June 2, 2010 #

14. 4:30 PM and they are still hanging out on the hill by Walnut and Holgate. My concern is that I did see a coyote in this exact spot twice the other day. I tried to get them into my fenced back patio, and they wanted none of that!

Comment by Peter — 4:34 pm June 2, 2010 #

15. Well, you’re no quack Peter for trying to save these chickens. Maybe they’ll make it home on a Wing and a Prayer. Won’t we all be eggstatic when they are safe and sound. But, my oh my, such foul play if a coyote wonders back around to make a snack of these paltry peeps.

Sorry for the foul puns. Seriously, not all pet owners with escaped animals are a bunch of quacks. (Oops, last pun, I swear!)

If folks are seeing more pets out and about on the loose, like these bird-brained buddies, it might be because the weather is nicer and people, especially the forgetful kids, are going in and outside more….and forgetting to secure locks, gates, hutches, sheds, doors…….

Comment by d — 5:00 pm June 2, 2010 #

16. My neighbors dog was killed by a coyote while he was home and the dog was in the yard doing his daily “business”. Also 3 cats in the area have been killed, again just out enjoying the sun. And I don’t do Starbucks, I only frequent the small locally owned coffee shops.

Comment by coffee — 5:46 pm June 2, 2010 #

17. The chickens are home at last. What an adventure! We spent an hour to round up the chickens and get them into their coop. It would have been even longer if not for our neighbors’ help. Thanks everybody for looking out for them.

Comment by L.L. — 7:12 pm June 2, 2010 #

18. Apparently they were going to see their friend Gregory peck. At least they wern’t stapled to a punk.

Comment by Curtis — 8:17 pm June 2, 2010 #

19. Awww they look like they might be eater eggers which lay the prettiest pink, blue, or green eggs. They look young though, probably this year’s babies which means they might belong to a new chicken owner. It can take time to get the kinks worked out of a new coop & run area when you’ve never had those little buggers before. Mine made a break for it earlier this year and I thought sure I lost one of them. Sure enough she showed up at the coop door when it was time to be put to bed.

Comment by Jamie — 9:35 am June 6, 2010 #