West Seattle streetlight test: Tour with a councilmember tomorrow

April 12, 2010 at 3:34 pm | In Utilities, West Seattle news | 6 Comments

Just got word from Seattle City Councilmember Bruce Harrell‘s office that they’re inviting people to join on a special walking tour tomorrow night in West Seattle – covering two blocks that have the new LED street lights intended for installation citywide. The tour actually starts outside West Seattle, at Lighting Design Lab tomorrow at 7 pm, where the new lights will be demonstrated and discussed; then vans will shuttle participants to the West Seattle tour site – the lab’s at 2915 4th Avenue South (map). The tour blocks are 53rd and 54th SW, between Charlestown and Dakota (map). The city will replace all 40,000 street lights with LEDs over the next five years, and expects to save more than $2 million energy costs a year when they’re all in place. If you’re interested in joining the tour, here’s the official advisory.

1. Are these lamps the ones with less throw, thus reducing light pollution?

Comment by pigeonmom — 5:43 pm April 12, 2010 #

2. I live on 53rd and we’ve had the for a couple weeks. They certainly are bright! Very noticeable. I’d say I like it to be dark at night, but if there are going to be streetlights, I’m all for a more cost effective option!

Funny that these blocks are the first to get them. Such a random, fairly out of the way location. I wonder why this area was chosen.

Comment by Ann — 7:45 pm April 12, 2010 #

3. No these are the street lights that are really glarey and bluish in light quality. If you want to know what they look like you should check out the current installations in West Seattle and Capitol Hill. I’m just glad there are no street lights on my street.

Comment by Julie — 8:08 pm April 12, 2010 #

4. Eww. Bummer.

Comment by pigeonmom — 8:28 pm April 12, 2010 #

5. We need more light, not less. Streets are dark at night in the ‘hood’ by Highland PKWY. Would be nice to have a little more light.

Comment by Steph in WS — 9:47 am April 13, 2010 #

6. It is my understanding these will be only for non-arterials. Arterials need a higher lighting requirement and will still go with the mercury vapor.

Comment by Donn — 10:46 am April 13, 2010 #