West Seattle scenes: Take a neon tour

WSB contributing photojournalist Christopher Boffoli has been shooting neon signs around West Seattle, and this is the first compilation he put together – after we took a look at it, we thought you might be interested too. See if you recognize the signs!

15 Replies to "West Seattle scenes: Take a neon tour"

• comment-avatar
    Snotty March 1, 2010 (10:14 pm)

Despite the absence of a ‘Live! Nude! Girls!’ sign, this was still really cool. :)

• comment-avatar
    M March 1, 2010 (10:35 pm)

Very nice!
    I may have missed it, but I think my all-time favorite neon sign is missing: “Psychic Barber”
    Maybe for edition #2?

• comment-avatar
    Celeste March 1, 2010 (11:46 pm)

M, there was just a little bit of the sign in the video. It was the corners of the sign.

• comment-avatar
    shadows March 2, 2010 (1:36 am)

Very nice music and the best shot for me was the EASY STREET/BUS scene….very cool……just might watch it again

• comment-avatar
    me on 28th Ave SW March 2, 2010 (8:52 am)

I liked it! I think it would make me feel homesick if I didn’t still live here. Thanks for sharing.

• comment-avatar
    Chris March 2, 2010 (9:23 am)

Great job…put me in the mood for a Turner Classic movie…

• comment-avatar
    cathyw March 2, 2010 (9:25 am)

This is wonderful, Christopher. I bet you had a good time putting it together.

• comment-avatar
    voodoo March 2, 2010 (10:44 am)

Great work! I did notice, though, that the video is titled “West Seatte Neon” – it may not show up in a search engine without the “L”!

• comment-avatar
    cjboffoli March 2, 2010 (11:05 am)

voodoo: Wait. There’s an ‘L’ in Seattle? :-)
    Funny how you can look at something a hundred times and not see a typo. Thanks for the head’s up.
    Actually, as this video has already been embedded to three different websites without permission, maybe it is a good thing that the search engines can’t find it.

• comment-avatar
    miws March 2, 2010 (4:19 pm)

Great job, Christopher!

Even knowing that the Shack sign is now in front of Java Bean, (and many thanks to them for preserving it!) it was kinda fun to nostalgically pretend the Shack still existed.

Mike

• comment-avatar
    barry March 2, 2010 (4:50 pm)

thats was a good idea of photos. the music set it off, reminds me of being in new york in a taxi cab driven by robert deniro. thumbs up

• comment-avatar
    cjboffoli March 2, 2010 (4:51 pm)

Mike: That little area along Avalon sure is filled with some great old neon. Western Neon (of SoDo) did the newer sign on the front of Café Rèvo. And I love that the Revò owners decided to keep the classic Sea-Way Marine on the side of the building. It is actually one of the few flashing/animated signs in West Seattle (along with the one above Talarico’s and the Tae Kwon Do sign across from Spiros on California).

• comment-avatar
    Don March 3, 2010 (10:58 pm)

GREAT video! And the music! What is that song? I must have it!

• comment-avatar
    christopherboffoli March 3, 2010 (11:50 pm)

Thanks Don. This music is an excerpt of Bernard Herrmann’s brilliant score written for the 1976 Martin Scorsese film Taxi Driver. This version in particular was performed by Elmer Bernstein. It can be downloaded at the iTunes Store here: http://bit.ly/cS1s5R

• comment-avatar
    Don March 6, 2010 (10:51 pm)

Thank you Christopher! You shot the neon so well and the chosen music was a perfect complement to it. Any chance of you capturing some of Seattle’s other neon mainstays?

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann