West Seattle scenes: Take a neon tour

March 1, 2010 at 10:05 pm | In West Seattle businesses, West Seattle video | 15 Comments

WSB contributing photojournalist Christopher Boffoli has been shooting neon signs around West Seattle, and this is the first compilation he put together – after we took a look at it, we thought you might be interested too. See if you recognize the signs!

1. Despite the absence of a ‘Live! Nude! Girls!’ sign, this was still really cool. :)

Comment by Snotty — 10:14 pm March 1, 2010 #

2. Very nice!
    I may have missed it, but I think my all-time favorite neon sign is missing: “Psychic Barber”
    Maybe for edition #2?

Comment by M — 10:35 pm March 1, 2010 #

3. M, there was just a little bit of the sign in the video. It was the corners of the sign.

Comment by Celeste — 11:46 pm March 1, 2010 #

4. Very nice music and the best shot for me was the EASY STREET/BUS scene….very cool……just might watch it again

Comment by shadows — 1:36 am March 2, 2010 #

5. I liked it! I think it would make me feel homesick if I didn’t still live here. Thanks for sharing.

Comment by me on 28th Ave SW — 8:52 am March 2, 2010 #

6. Great job…put me in the mood for a Turner Classic movie…

Comment by Chris — 9:23 am March 2, 2010 #

7. This is wonderful, Christopher. I bet you had a good time putting it together.

Comment by cathyw — 9:25 am March 2, 2010 #

8. Great work! I did notice, though, that the video is titled “West Seatte Neon” – it may not show up in a search engine without the “L”!

Comment by voodoo — 10:44 am March 2, 2010 #

9. voodoo: Wait. There’s an ‘L’ in Seattle? :-)
    Funny how you can look at something a hundred times and not see a typo. Thanks for the head’s up.
    Actually, as this video has already been embedded to three different websites without permission, maybe it is a good thing that the search engines can’t find it.

Comment by cjboffoli — 11:05 am March 2, 2010 #

10. Great job, Christopher!

Even knowing that the Shack sign is now in front of Java Bean, (and many thanks to them for preserving it!) it was kinda fun to nostalgically pretend the Shack still existed.

Mike

Comment by miws — 4:19 pm March 2, 2010 #

11. thats was a good idea of photos. the music set it off, reminds me of being in new york in a taxi cab driven by robert deniro. thumbs up

Comment by barry — 4:50 pm March 2, 2010 #

12. Mike: That little area along Avalon sure is filled with some great old neon. Western Neon (of SoDo) did the newer sign on the front of Café Rèvo. And I love that the Revò owners decided to keep the classic Sea-Way Marine on the side of the building. It is actually one of the few flashing/animated signs in West Seattle (along with the one above Talarico’s and the Tae Kwon Do sign across from Spiros on California).

Comment by cjboffoli — 4:51 pm March 2, 2010 #

13. GREAT video! And the music! What is that song? I must have it!

Comment by Don — 10:58 pm March 3, 2010 #

14. Thanks Don. This music is an excerpt of Bernard Herrmann’s brilliant score written for the 1976 Martin Scorsese film Taxi Driver. This version in particular was performed by Elmer Bernstein. It can be downloaded at the iTunes Store here: http://bit.ly/cS1s5R

Comment by christopherboffoli — 11:50 pm March 3, 2010 #

15. Thank you Christopher! You shot the neon so well and the chosen music was a perfect complement to it. Any chance of you capturing some of Seattle’s other neon mainstays?

Comment by Don — 10:51 pm March 6, 2010 #