Door-to-door alert: “It’s just a penny”

February 16, 2010 at 9:56 pm | In Delridge, Door-to-door alert, West Seattle news | 6 Comments

Out of the WSB inbox, from BJ:

I had a suspicious solicitor come to my door this afternoon around 3 pm in the 5200 block of 25th Ave SW. He was holding pamphlets and I believe he mentioned something about Seattle Public Schools. He looked very unprofessional and raggedy dressed. When I cut him off in the middle of his pitch to tell him I had no money, he replied “it’s just a penny” and looked upset. I said sorry but I had nothing for him and he took the pamphlet back that he had handed to me and walked away. As he was leaving I saw him closely look into a parked car on the street as he went up to another neighbor’s house. He continued down the street skipping some houses but hitting others in no clear order that I could put together. It left me with enough of a negative impression that I called 911 and reported him.

1. I do know that some of the Seattle schools are doing some kind of penny drive. However, I don’t think they ask the kids to go door to door.

Comment by karen — 10:17 pm February 16, 2010 #

2. Good for you. Another scam.

Comment by Chris — 11:01 pm February 16, 2010 #

3. did they tell where they attend? if not, then its scam! what a dumb approach to neighbors. I caught two “teenagers” handing out and knocking doors with pamphlets and skipped some homes on 40th and 100th SW. My dog was growling at them and he watched their movements so i did too . they did say hi and i didnt respond back as i watched their single moves. I dont care if i didnt respond. my guts tell me not to say hi back or talk to them. i am just protecting my Arbor Heights neighborhood.

Comment by samson — 8:20 am February 17, 2010 #

4. Speaking as a teacher in SPS, we NEVER tell the kids to go door-to-door. In fact, we tell them quite the opposite. While it is true that some schools do participate in the Penny Harvest, the schools take pains to tell the kids to ask people they know and to NEVER (NEVER NEVER NEVER) go asking people they don’t know.

Comment by West Seattle is my home — 8:44 am February 17, 2010 #

5. This was no student. It was an adult male maybe in his mid to late 30′s or early 40′s.

Comment by BJ — 11:56 am February 17, 2010 #

6. Ewww. Good thing you listened to your intuition.

It is true that many local schools recentenly participated in the “Penny Harvest” http://www.pennyharvest.org/
    Perhaps this fellow took extra pamphlets from a schools.

Comment by ad — 3:28 pm February 17, 2010 #