Seats for sale! Chief Sealth renovation “recycling”

November 18, 2009 at 6:00 pm | In Denny-Sealth, West Seattle news, West Seattle schools | 8 Comments

If you ever went to a play, a concert or an assembly in the Chief Sealth High School auditorium – you’ll remember these seats. They’re being replaced as part of the renovation project that’s in its home stretch. Second Use Building Materials shared the photo with news that it salvaged the 600 (or so) seats for reuse, and that they’re now for sale – you can even just buy one (here’s a sample page from the Second Use website). Says the announcement from Second Use, “These seats are great for adding a bit of flair or history to home design projects, business settings, or even classrooms.” For information about the material or the salvage project, you can contact Patrick Burningham at 206-510-8272 or Patrick@seconduse.com.

1. Fun gift for hard-to-shop-for alum! Anyone know what year they were installed at Sealth?

Comment by GenHillOne — 6:05 pm November 18, 2009 #

2. As I recall those seats are actually surprising comfortable considering they have no padding.

Comment by me on 28th Ave SW — 6:20 pm November 18, 2009 #

3. These are the most UNcomfortable seats I have ever sat in. Just awful. I jumped for joy when my daughter graduated knowing I’d never have to sit in them again. Nobody will have to fight me for them.

Comment by Lori W. — 8:27 pm November 18, 2009 #

4. Likely the seats are original, which I suspect would make them 1957 vintage? Seats that have successfully lasted over fifty years, will now be replaced by seats that will last how long? Likely not fifty years… : ( I never thought the seats were ‘to bad’ to sit in, however everyone is different.

Comment by Steve Taylor — 12:27 am November 19, 2009 #

5. I agree with Steve T. Those look like the same ones that were there when I attended Sealth (Spirit of ’76!)

The land for the campus was cleared by July 1956, and construction continued through 1957. The first students attended in 1958, but with no graduating class that year. Just Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior classes.

Working in the bookroom/stockroom all three of my years, I was fortunate to have scored yearbooks from a few years other than those I attended, including one from 1958, which is where I found this info.

Mike

Comment by miws — 8:15 am November 19, 2009 #

6. They were there in ’76,’77&’78 for sure.

Comment by Buddsmom — 12:08 pm November 19, 2009 #

7. I’m excited for them to be replaced… The Drama Dept. as a whole is very excited about the total overhaul that the auditorium is going through right now. C:

Comment by Ryan — 8:19 pm November 19, 2009 #

8. I just remembered something else from my days at Sealth.

My First Aid class was receiving CPR training in the auditorium, using the trusty ol’ “Resusci-Annie” to learn and practice the chest compressions, and mouth-to-mouth.

One of my classmates dubbed the venue “The Seattle Respiratory Theater”. :D