Helicopter search update: Suspect now in custody

November 4, 2009 at 1:29 pm | In Arbor Heights, Crime, Helicopter, West Seattle news | 13 Comments

helicopterwatch.pngORIGINAL 1:29 PM REPORT: Thanks for the tips about a helicopter search – we’ve headed in that general direction (Arbor Heights) and are making calls to law-enforcement agencies – details as we get them. 1:34 PM UPDATE: Seattle Police Det. Mark Jamieson says that Guardian One and SPD are helping with a King County Sheriff’s Office search involving someone who fled a stolen car. The call apparently started in the White Center area (17th/Roxbury) but we’re seeing the helicopter over the 11100 block of 35th SW in Arbor Heights. 1:53 PM UPDATE: Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Sgt. John Urquhart tells us the suspect is now in custody, as of just a few moments ago.

1. now its over 28th and 109th

Comment by coffee — 1:39 pm November 4, 2009 #

2. Still at 28th and 109th. A little worried because my garage door was open.

Comment by Linda — 1:48 pm November 4, 2009 #

3. Ah, that explains it! Thank you!

I was curious, but not curious enough to inquire/report, since it was flying in a straight pattern, towards the northeast, as opposed to a circular pattern, down here on the Thriftway block. A few minutes later, I heard, but didn’t see, it fly over again, sounding the same as when it flew by before.

The only thing that seemed odd about the straight pattern, was how low it was flying.

Mike

Comment by miws — 1:48 pm November 4, 2009 #

4. I heard it too and was wondering why…I got out my binocs and could read that it’s a KOMO 4 news helicopter. It was just directly east from my house at 37th and 107th.

Comment by Amy — 1:52 pm November 4, 2009 #

5. Awesomwe!!

Comment by Linda — 1:56 pm November 4, 2009 #

6. There may have been a news chopper too (for a car-theft suspect??? unusual) but Guardian One (the law-enforcement chopper) was definitely on the search, which is now over … TR

Comment by WSB — 2:00 pm November 4, 2009 #

7. The cop chopper was hovering at around 80ft above 37th and 114th for about 4mins and circling at about 200ft. for about 10min. unmarked suburbans and lowered honda civic seemed to be very interested in what was happening on 35th, or at least the green belt east of 35th

Comment by Matt — 2:15 pm November 4, 2009 #

8. All law enforcement agencies are on edge and not taking any chances since the incident on Halloween. That’s just a little too close to home for me though!

Comment by Buddsmom — 2:21 pm November 4, 2009 #

9. what is the suspect suspected of ? in the 1:34 update it mentioned someone fleeing in stolen car, but I’m not sure I can tell what originated the search.

Comment by sam — 2:55 pm November 4, 2009 #

10. They arrested him at my property here on Seola Beach Dr SW- he had tried to hide in a tool shed in the back yard, but helicopter infrared technology found him! He had a pit bull with him that Animal Control took away.

Comment by Dawnelle — 12:57 pm November 5, 2009 #

11. Thanks for the update, Dawnelle. That explains the very-closely-hovering chopper we saw when we went out for a photo – in fact, I meant to add that to this, will have to see if it’s still on the camera – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:02 pm November 5, 2009 #

12. Just saw a VERY large (chinnook maybe?) Helicopter hovering over fred meyer on 185th and aurora in shoreline. It was there for at least 30 min doing slow circles and then pausing in the same spot alternatley… it was so huge that at first I thought it was two choppers right next to eachother. 8:30pm 11/20/09

Comment by able — 8:52 pm November 20, 2009 #

13. Interesting, we just had a military-sounding chopper flying low over our house that almost looked like two choppers …

Comment by WSB — 9:17 pm November 20, 2009 #