Followups: 35th SW tree trimming today; Junction bus stop back

October 16, 2009 at 10:40 am | In Transportation, West Seattle news | 9 Comments

Reminder that what we now know (thanks to the SDOT news release) to be Seattle’s largest collection of European Hornbeam trees is getting trimmed today along 35th SW between Roxbury and Raymond, till about mid-afternoon, thanks to private arborists donating their services. (We took that photo a short time ago.) That means the outside lane is closed wherever crews are working. Meantime, another sighting – the bus stop in front of the new QFC in The Junction is finally officially back!

Thanks to Celeste for spotting it yesterday and tipping us overnight. It was gone for months during construction of Capco Plaza.

1. sorry; I took 54 home Wed night and saw new bus stop in front of QFC, as many people got off there, but didn’t think it was news
    ~
    will they add a shelter there?

Comment by Diane — 12:01 pm October 16, 2009 #

2. Don’t know. (But if you want one, I’d suggest e-mailing Metro … not sure how much it costs to install one …) It only became news because so many people asked about it as Capco got closer to completion, “will the bus stop come back?” – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:07 pm October 16, 2009 #

3. It looked like they were totally removing one of the trees just south of Thistle on 35th. Any idea of that was in the original plans or was it possibly damaged badly enough in the pruning that it had to be subsequently removed? It looked like one of the major limbs tore out all the way to the trunk. At least that was my impression as I drove by. I wasn’t really rubber-necking too much but was actually stopped in the right lane in front of the work while waiting to merge left.

Comment by JumboJim — 12:55 pm October 16, 2009 #

4. Well, that’s close enough for us to check – it wasn’t mentioned in the announcement but as I took a closer look at those trees, I noticed how much they were growing over and around the power lines, and wondered if they would all survive. We’ll see if SDOT is getting a progress report … I was going to go out when they’re theoretically done around 2:30 to survey … TR

Comment by WSB — 1:16 pm October 16, 2009 #

5. That’s my tree that they removed. It was scheduled to be taken down as it had been hit and damaged beyond saving. The stump will be ground and a new tree planted.

Comment by Brian — 2:53 pm October 16, 2009 #

6. Thanks, Brian, turned out my SDOT contact is out-o-office this afternoon anyway so I wasn’t having luck checking on followup info … TR

Comment by WSB — 3:09 pm October 16, 2009 #

7. Nah..They won’t put a shelter there because they don’t want you to get to comfortable waiting for the bus.

Comment by johnson — 1:10 pm October 17, 2009 #

8. The bus stop was restored in the middle of the week
    ie last week. I noted it earlier but was not able to respond as I forgot my password to my request that I made on KOMO News radio .com. Hey does anyone know when or if Office Depot is also still scheduled to be going into that site too. I will really be disappointed if that doesn’t happen.

Shirley

Comment by Shirley — 9:49 pm October 19, 2009 #

9. Hi! Yes, this item was actually first published last week. As for Office Depot, last time I spoke to the development’s owner, they were still on – I am overdue for a call to him (will do it first thing tomorrow) about their timetable. I had been trying to find out directly from Office Depot but so far their PR folks have failed to reply. Will update here (and in a separate item) with whatever we find! – Tracy (WSB editor)

Comment by WSB — 10:07 pm October 19, 2009 #