Alki 4th of July without Elliott Bay fireworks? Ivar’s cancels show

April 3, 2009 at 5:59 pm | In Holidays, West Seattle news | 22 Comments

susanfireworks.jpg

(July 4, 2008 photo by Susan Grossman of Singing Pixel Photography)
Thanks to Barbara for calling our attention to this: Ivar’s announced that it won’t have a 4th of Jul-Ivar’s fireworks show this year; read the story here; here’s the official Ivar’s announcement. That means fireworks-viewing opportunities from West Seattle will be inconsistent at best, since the Ivar’s show has been the one visible from Alki east/southward; some of the fireworks from the Lake Union show can be seen most years, along with scattered fireworks from other areas such as Bainbridge Island, but it won’t be even remotely the same. West Seattle fireworks fans are left mostly in the lurch; ironic given the circumstances of the show’s creation, as noted in today’s news release:

The 4th of Jul-Ivar’s fireworks show started in 1964 at Green Lake when (West) Seattle native and Ivar’s “flounder” Ivar Haglund was given a last-minute chance to save the town’s annual Seattle fireworks show from cancellation. Haglund funded the entire show. As the only fireworks show in town, its original pyrotechnic partner, Hitt Fireworks Company, created a thrilling display that drew attendance from King, Snohomish, Pierce, Kitsap and surrounding counties. In its heyday, the 4th of Jul-Ivar’s had shows in Lake Union then moved to Elliott Bay

1. Good riddance. That one was wimpy in comparison to Lake Union, and the view from Alki is lame.

Comment by Manuel W. — 6:07 pm April 3, 2009 #

2. Maybe we won’t need massive police presence in our neighborhood this year!

Comment by Irukandji — 6:10 pm April 3, 2009 #

3. Awesome news! Alki will be much mellower. Thanks Ivar’s.

Comment by David — 6:14 pm April 3, 2009 #

4. If this was such a problem why in heck would you buy a house or condo there?

Jim

Comment by clark5080 — 6:35 pm April 3, 2009 #

5. Personally, I’ll miss it. I can’t imagine the whole city trying to see the Lake Union show. Maybe someone else will step in and save it.

Comment by Jennie — 6:48 pm April 3, 2009 #

6. I’m just trying to think of the logistics of getting there. One year we went to Myrtle Edwards in person, without a car – took the Water Taxi and connected to the old Waterfront Streetcar. But to get to Lake Union from the Water Taxi – hmm. And to drive back here … I remember another year we went to Myrtle Edwards with the car … and I vividly remember the insane traffic jam trying to get home. Maybe we’ll take the Bainbridge Ferry to the Poulsbo Third of July fireworks, which we attended one year because I had to work at my old TV station on the 4th, producing … yes … a fireworks broadcast … TR

Comment by WSB — 6:56 pm April 3, 2009 #

7. From Port Townsend you can see the Seattle fireworks – all of them. Better with binoculars but not necessary for the spectacle of fireworks in the city across the water. Plenty of places to space out for the Independence Day celebration – plus Ivar’s got the right spirit with the alternate use of the money.

Comment by chas redmond — 7:22 pm April 3, 2009 #

8. Yes, this will be a welcome change in Alki if it keeps the crowds away.

Comment by sa — 8:09 pm April 3, 2009 #

9. clark5080,

the same peeps who buy a house under the flight path of SeaTac and complain they hear airplane noise…lol

Comment by WesCAddle — 8:18 pm April 3, 2009 #

10. This would have been the first year I would have seen the pyrotechnics sponsored by Ivar’s. At first I was disappointed then I realized a local icon stepping up to help our brothers and sisters who are seriously suffering and maybe starving in our current economy.

Comment by chubbychica — 9:20 pm April 3, 2009 #

11. I had thought that Ivar Haglund had left a specifically earmarked fund for the fireworks. If so, odd that they would just cancel it. Makes me think something else is going on here. (Any news hounds feel like digging?)

Comment by Michael — 11:59 pm April 3, 2009 #

12. Oh, and to the people who are uptight because of crowds one day a year – it’s a holiday, so it’s easy to get out of town so it won’t bother you.

Comment by Michael — 12:01 am April 4, 2009 #

13. Geez, one night out of the year, and y’all get your knickers in a bunch. Living on Alki is a privilege, but with some caveats. Deal with it.

Comment by roddy — 2:42 am April 4, 2009 #

14. I lived on Duwa Head in the 70′s and 80′s for about 20 years and dealt with it. The elite and entitled are eroding the culture of Seattle and especially West Seattle. I won’t even go to what I used to consider “our” beach. Parking has been removed from “our” park (grass strip) over the years as to not offend condo dwellers. It’s turned into a city subsidised front yard for the better off complete with sidewalk cafe’s (thanks again greg). Sour grapes… sure. Thay make a better bitter wine.

Comment by 56bricks — 6:52 am April 4, 2009 #

15. WELL SAID 56 BRICKS!!!!!!

Comment by JW — 7:24 am April 4, 2009 #

16. Michael – I e-mailed Carolyn Sueno with Ivar’s PR last night to ask your question, after being unable to find a definitive answer online. She sent this reply from Ivar’s president Bob Donegan: “When Ivar died in January, 1985, he donated half of his estate to the Business School at UW (from which he was graduated) and the other half to the school of Hotel and Restaurant Mgt at WSU. No funds were set aside for fireworks.” – TR

Comment by WSB — 7:53 am April 4, 2009 #

17. I thought they were jerks until I read their press release. Good for them!

Comment by JH — 9:38 am April 4, 2009 #

18. To those of you who think we’re all a bunch of whiners-
    Last year I had two fights break out on my lawn, the year before a broken bottle used to threaten me, numerous drunks peeing in my garden, the list goes on and on. Now multiply that by a hundred and you’ll have some idea of what a s**tty day 4th of July can turn out to be. It is violent and dangerous and the police can do little to help. Unless Americans can act like adults instead of drunken frat boys I am very happy with the loss. It’s not about being a downer it’s about wanting to keep my family and my property safe.

Comment by Note — 9:41 am April 4, 2009 #

19. Sad to hear it’s gone, growing up in the Seattle area I’ve always watched it.

Now you get the CHASE Family 4th show on Lake Union. http://www.wamufamily4th.org/

Comment by fireworks — 10:04 am April 4, 2009 #

20. I would clarify my quippy comment earlier too. Yes, it is a privilege to live here, and obviously I can’t be surpirsed that lots of people want to come visit and play at the beach in many different ways.

Its the crime that gets me down. Break ins, fights, cruising, driver hostility, drugs, vandalism, pissing on your doorstep are privileges I could live without.

It is too bad the firworks display has been cancelled, I would hope they reconsider to be honest, but more law enforcement is needed.

Comment by sa — 11:17 am April 4, 2009 #

21. I too was dissapointed to here the Fireworks were cancelled. But the reason why is wonderful. Not everyone has a job these days,and more people are losing their income on a daily basis.Why not take the money you spend on booze and BBQ’s and make a donation to NW Harvest as well.I am.

Comment by Gary Gores — 6:57 pm April 4, 2009 #

22. It’s a sad sign of the times when we must let go of celebrating our Nation’s independence in order to feed it’s people. The funds will be well used by NW HARVEST.

Comment by Buddsmom — 12:38 pm April 6, 2009 #