Update: 2 people hurt in early morning fire near Lowman Beach

February 28, 2009 at 8:23 am | In Seaview, West Seattle fires, West Seattle news | 8 Comments

(photo added 8:44 am)
A man and woman were taken to the hospital from the scene of a duplex fire that happened around 4:30 am in the 6700 block of 48th SW (map). No word yet on its cause; Fire Department spokesperson Dana Vander Houwen says firefighters had it out within about 20 minutes of the first report. As of 8:30 am, investigators are still on the scene; the front of the duplex is heavily damaged. Vander Houwen says the two who went to the hospital got out through a window. No update on their condition so far.

ADDED 10:53 AM: One other photo from this morning, looking southwest toward Lowman Beach, to show even more clearly where this is – barely a block uphill from that waterfront park (which itself is just north of Lincoln Park):

SATURDAY AFTERNOON UPDATE: LD reports in comments:

9:24 PM UPDATE: SFD says the fire was accidental – caused by “combustible material too close to a baseboard heater” – with damage totaling $150,000.

1. So that’s what it was. There was a parade of sirens going down 48th, including police, at 4:30am. seemed like a pretty big call-out.

Comment by B-squared — 8:26 am February 28, 2009 #

2. I JUST emailed you guys regarding the sirens and wondering if anyone heard a lot of commotion too. Thanks for being on top of this!

Comment by Krystal — 8:29 am February 28, 2009 #

3. I just emailed too.. I knew it was a fire and probably a big one but was curious about the details. The parade of sirens and lights woke us up at 4:30 and we checked the 911 site. My husband saw it this morning on his way out and said that it was a small house but it’s pretty much gone. So sad. I hope the people will be ok.

Comment by a neighbor — 8:41 am February 28, 2009 #

4. we’ve just added a photo and are reviewing a few others we took – TR

Comment by WSB — 8:45 am February 28, 2009 #

5. We live really close. Very scary. I was afraid the trees were going to catch fire, luckily the Fire Dept, got there in time. I’m very sad to hear the people inside were hurt. I hope they are ok. Would love to hear an update when WSB hears word.
    Still Fire Trucks at the scene. From where I could see at least 7 there last night/a.m.

Comment by JC — 10:22 am February 28, 2009 #

6. No update yet from SFD media – I just checked a few minutes ago. Often it will be difficult to get condition information, because of privacy laws … they did say they were transported by private ambulance, which TENDS to mean “not life-threatening.” We’ll keep checking through the day for new info – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:30 am February 28, 2009 #

7. The couple have been released from the hospital and are doing ok. They are receiving help from friends and the American Red Cross and doing as best they can under the circumstances. Thank you for your concern

Comment by LD — 1:04 pm February 28, 2009 #

8. I talked with one of the people who was in the fire. Really glad to know everyone is physically ok. I’m sure emotionally there is some healing to do. Pretty amazing that they are ok considering the state of the house.
    Swift healing to all of you affected.

Comment by JC — 1:47 pm February 28, 2009 #