Shouldn’t West Seattle be on this list somewhere?

November 14, 2008 at 1:03 pm | In West Seattle online, WS beverages | 13 Comments

[photo by Christopher Boffoli]
First posted on Twitter by Monica Guzman from the P-I’s Big Blog, but we found out via this “retweet” (forwarded link) – Xconomy Seattle reports on coffee haunts “where innovators meet up.” West Seattle isn’t represented. C’mon, we’re not innovation-less over here! Are we? (For what it’s worth, while we of course are mega-fans of WSB sponsor Hotwire Coffee for the beverages, it’s too cozy for meetings when it’s not outdoor-table season, so we have had recent meetings at the Junction Uptown, Morgan Junction Caffe Ladro, Morgan Junction Tully’s, Coffee to a Tea … And you?)

1. Ya know, TR, it’s typical of the “disrespect” for WS. “You live way over there?”..or “that’s just too far away to go to”. That bridge separates us from the rest of the city not just physically, unfortunately. There are people who feel that we’re still hicks over here, and there’s nothing here. Guess we’ll have to educate them, especially if we want to fill all those apartments/condos that are gonna be available in the next few years.

Both Uptown’s are great for meetings, as are the other places you mentioned. And then there’s BPP, home of the best beer menu in town.

Oh, well, more space for us, I suppose :)

Comment by JanS — 1:32 pm November 14, 2008 #

2. Wow – thanks pretty sad for the PI.
    I consistently meet clients and attend networking groups in WS at these fave places: Cupcake Royale, Coffee to a Tea, and recently Pioneer Coffee! All have such different atmospheres – but excellent Joe!

Comment by sassy — 1:57 pm November 14, 2008 #

3. Java Bean right off the W. Seattle freeway is a great spot to hang and have meetings. Fireplace, couches, and the best coffee in town! Good stuff….

Comment by Michael Stusser — 3:20 pm November 14, 2008 #

4. Caption:

“OK, this is last time we plant coffee downwind from to the nuclear reactor…”

or

“We’re gonna need a bigger grinder.”

Comment by OP — 3:22 pm November 14, 2008 #

5. I’m not an innovator.

Is it OK to second the Java Bean anyway?
    It’s my current fave AM spot pre or post gym.

That is some seriously good coffee.

Comment by d — 4:50 pm November 14, 2008 #

6. Secede from the city!! :p

Mike

Comment by miws — 7:03 pm November 14, 2008 #

7. Having a home-office, I’m a “meet at a coffee house” regular. Let’s add C&P and Bird on a Wire to the list.

Comment by laurae — 8:04 pm November 14, 2008 #

8. C&P for sure! Also, the hicksville image among mainland dwellers is just fine with me. :)

Comment by arietta — 9:25 am November 15, 2008 #

9. I have been frequenting River House Craperie. The are in the ActivSpace on the way to Alki. Great coffee and crepes. They are adding WiFi too, so coming up with the next big thing will be easier!

Comment by pam — 9:47 am November 15, 2008 #

10. Don’t forget Uptown Espresso (Home of the Velvet Foam) just South of the Alaska Junction at California and Edmonds. It is light and spacious too.

And I, too, prefer the brew at my home office, using French Roast beans ground at the Jefferson Square Safeway.

Comment by orcmid — 1:53 pm November 15, 2008 #

11. When I was less-employed I’d go to Cupcake Royale and spend an hour-or-so reading about once a week. The drop dead gorgeous young lady who worked there though was part of the appeal though.

Comment by Pat — 6:55 pm November 15, 2008 #

12. Living in Alki, there are a number of cafes to choose from – but my fave has been Pioneer (next to Slices). Their free wifi is great, and their beer/wine service is a great help when trying to come up with innovative ideas. ;-)

They’ve recently had some posters of the Cle Elum chimps that were rescued and they donate to the chimps with every coffee purchase. Bonus!

Comment by alki_res — 7:14 pm November 15, 2008 #

13. Thanks for the feedback. I added Uptown to the list and map:

Let me know if there’s another one that’s particularly popular with tech/business people.

Comment by Greg Huang — 12:18 pm November 17, 2008 #