Zeeks Pizza coming to West Seattle, at the ex-Corner Inn

September 5, 2008 at 11:42 am | In West Seattle restaurants | 55 Comments

cornerinntoday.jpg

We got the first tip from Rick (thank you!) earlier this week but couldn’t share the news with you till we got it confirmed after the lease was signed: Zeeks Pizza is coming to West Seattle, in the Morgan Junction spot (shown above) where the Corner Inn abruptly closed three months ago. We just talked with Zeeks vice president Greg McClure (a former West Seattleite) – read on to see what he told us, and one question you might be able to help answer:

Zeeks is best known in North Seattle – until the company-owned West Seattle restaurant opens, its southernmost location will be the one at 5th/Denny downtown (just south of Fisher Plaza – we first tried Zeeks there, while working in the old KOMO-TV building on the same site; here’s a list of current Zeeks locations).

McClure says Zeeks, which has been in the Seattle pizza business for 15 years, has actually been looking for a West Seattle location for three years. Now, within the past 24 hours, they just signed the lease for the Corner Inn building (where interior items were auctioned in late July), where he guesstimates they’ll be able to open within 8 months or so, depending on how the permit process goes: “We’re probably going to have to do quite a bit of work; we want to restore the original look to the exterior as much as possible, the interior as well – that building has so much original charm that’s been covered up over the years, we want to work with the owners to get it buffed up.”

He says that’ll include, among other things, plans to remove most if not all of the drop-down ceiling and expose some high-up windows that have long since been covered (although he adds, “There’s a cool bar in there now that we’d like to keep the look of” — not as a full bar, however; Zeeks serves beer/wine).

The Fauntleroy/California corner location is ideal, he says, because Zeeks offers delivery — “that’s a big part of our business,” McClure notes — as well as sit-down and pickup, and the site has parking. This will be the locally operated chain’s seventh store; if you’ve been to other Zeeks locations, McClure says this one will be most like “Denny, Phinney, and Kirkland.”

So why West Seattle, aside from McClure’s ties here? “We just think that neighborhood is screaming for a Zeeks. I know there are pizza options everywhere – a lot of great restaurants have been in West Seattle for a while, a lot of new restaurants are popping up, (but) we think people in West Seattle would totally dig a neighborhood pizza joint, the old-school pizzerias are hard to find.”

We also asked about the hours they’re likely to be open: “Typically we close at 10 pm; there might be a couple nights when we’re open later, till 11.” Now, here’s the big question: They haven’t decided yet whether to offer lunch, or just dinner. “We’re not so sure what the lunch business is going to be like there – our current stores are open for lunch, but we’re not sure if the neighborhood (in West Seattle) wants another lunch place, so we’re going to look carefully into that.”

We told him WSB’ers might have some opinions – so if you do, post a comment here, and/or contact Zeeks through its website (here’s that link; you can also see the current Zeeks menu on this page).

1. YEEEEEEHAWWWW!!!! Treehugger pizza, here I come! That will be great coupled with the Feedback Lounge next door, and BPP next to that. I think I might have to move back to the Morgan Junction…it’s become the new hotspot!

Comment by JenV — 11:48 am September 5, 2008 #

2. Fabulous! We were just saying we needed either a Zeeks or a Romio’s down here.

Comment by shihtzu — 11:59 am September 5, 2008 #

3. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by E — 12:07 pm September 5, 2008 #

4. we love Abodanza-hope it doesn’t hurt their business.

Comment by jd — 12:14 pm September 5, 2008 #

5. Yes to lunches!
    By the slice w/small salads, please.

Comment by d — 12:14 pm September 5, 2008 #

6. Yay! Please please offer us another lunch option for the weekends! We really like Zeeks pizza but it gets a little soggy when we do pick-up from downtown!

Comment by MargL — 12:16 pm September 5, 2008 #

7. I think this would be great if they weren’t going in across the street from the one old-school neighborhood pizza joint that we already have.

Abbondanza is, hands down, the best pizza in West Seattle, and I’m not happy that a chain is going to open up right next to them, Starbucks-style.

Comment by Evan — 12:17 pm September 5, 2008 #

8. I haven’t been to Abbondanza in years so they won’t be losing any business from me…

Comment by MargL — 12:26 pm September 5, 2008 #

9. Great news! I love Abondanza AND Zeek’s and will be happy to increase my pizza consumption to support both.

Comment by AR — 12:28 pm September 5, 2008 #

10. Hooray hooray hooray! I was actually just thinking to myself last night “I sure wish Zeeks would come to West Seattle”. Oh how I have missed you Thai-one-on and Wood Butcher! We are huge Amante Pizza fans but to be able to switch it up a bit with Zeeks will be awesome! And to grab Zeeks and walk next door to BPP – HEAVEN!

Oh, and yes to lunches, at least on the weekends. I love the by the slice option at the downtown Zeeks.

Comment by Courtney — 12:29 pm September 5, 2008 #

11. How about dancing? WS really needs a gtood place to dance!

Comment by ginger — 12:33 pm September 5, 2008 #

12. “…we think people in West Seattle would totally dig a neighborhood pizza joint, the old-school pizzerias are hard to find.” .. as Evan and JD said above, there already is a neighborhood pizza joint 2 doors down. I’m all for more choices, especially in the Morgan Junction area, but I’m a little worried for Abbondanza, which I love!

Comment by add — 12:35 pm September 5, 2008 #

13. Yes!!!! I don’t know if I can wait 8 months…

Comment by Agen — 12:40 pm September 5, 2008 #

14. More pizza? Not more pizza!

Comment by Al — 12:55 pm September 5, 2008 #

15. YEAH!!!! Just what this end of West Seattle needs. Couldn’t be happier!!

Comment by KR — 12:55 pm September 5, 2008 #

16. Zeek’s – “Starbucks style”? I need to get out more often!

Comment by Rick — 12:59 pm September 5, 2008 #

17. …and if they would deliver to the Westwood area, that would be a bonus.

Comment by Dude — 1:04 pm September 5, 2008 #

18. Ginger, I second the dancing comment. How about more places to dance and hear some of our fantastic local artists?! Chuck & Sally where are you?

Comment by Steph — 1:31 pm September 5, 2008 #

19. I haven’t been too impressed with Zeke’s. Been to the one near Seattle center and the one near the zoo. Both slow as hell and they pull that trick where they add a gratuity then put that receipt folded up and behind the one you sign which has a space for the tip so once I added another 20%. Sort of my fault but sort of shifty on their part. I know not all servers are this way but even if I wouldn’t have gotten screwed on the tip, I still was not impressed with the food and speed of service at more than one location.
    Long live Abbondonza!

Comment by toomanyratsinacageakaWS — 1:32 pm September 5, 2008 #

20. HOORAY ZEEK’S!!!
    I wouldn’t be a lunch patron, but would appreciate an earlier opening for dinner… 4pm instead of 5pm. It’s nice to be able to stop on the way home from work, either to eat-in or pick-up.

Comment by hopey — 1:35 pm September 5, 2008 #

21. Wonderful!! I’m so pleased to hear we’ll have our own Zeeks!

Comment by patricia — 1:36 pm September 5, 2008 #

22. Did someone say STARBUCKS PIZZA? Now that’s a billion dollar idea – I hope you’re reading Howard! You saw it first on the WSB!

Comment by Johnny Davies — 1:41 pm September 5, 2008 #

23. Does 6 restaurants equal a “Starbucks-style” “chain”?
    If so, since when? And who decided it? I missed out on that memo.
    But if that’s how it is, I’ll help put Vivace on notice too.

Comment by Michael — 1:42 pm September 5, 2008 #

24. Am I the only one who just doesn’t like Zeek’s pizza? I find the crust to be especially bad.
    I’ll take Abondanza over them any day (or Pagliacci or Spiros or Pegasus or…)

Comment by Huindekmi — 1:48 pm September 5, 2008 #

25. Great news! I’m excited there will be another family friendly restaurant in the area. I hope they open for lunch!! We’ll be there!

Comment by tja — 1:52 pm September 5, 2008 #

26. I am all for a variety of pizza options in WS!!

Comment by OlMom — 1:58 pm September 5, 2008 #

27. woohoo! i am so excited, i love the frogbelly!!!

Comment by bobby — 2:06 pm September 5, 2008 #

28. May be comparing apples ‘n’ oranges, but it should be noted for those who don’t spend a lot of time in the south half of West Seattle, this is the intersection where Tully’s and Starbucks are across the street from each other, and they are both still alive and kicking, fwiw. One difference between Zeeks and Abbondanza, besides individual recipes and styles etc., would be delivery vs. nondelivery. Our sponsor Garlic Jim’s delivers to our neighborhood a mile south of the new Zeeks spot (as do a few others), but Pagliacci STILL doesn’t. P.S. We’re putting this photo in a separate post in a few minutes, but thought we’d note here, we happened to be stopped at the California/Fauntleroy intersection a few minutes ago when a couple gentlemen came by, got up on a ladder, and took the “FOR LEASE” sign down!

Comment by WSB — 2:12 pm September 5, 2008 #

29. Wow. This is GREAT NEWS! Their delivery drivers will KNOW my address by heart. :P

Comment by Jason — 2:32 pm September 5, 2008 #

30. Yeah!! Another good option within walking distance of my house.

Comment by Franci — 2:32 pm September 5, 2008 #

31. I’ve never been to Zeeks, but I see mention of slices on the menu. One of the reasons I don’t eat pizza in West Seattle (other than Talarico’s) is that I don’t buy whole pizzas – I just want a slice, and most places do not do slices. So definitely offer the slices in West Seattle and I’ll be there! And yes to lunch, especially on the weekend!

Comment by Sue — 2:40 pm September 5, 2008 #

32. Gianonni’s has become my favorite pizza place and they serve huge slices! My only real complaint is that they don’t deliver. So pleeeeease Zeek’s- don’t forget the south end when you are mapping your delivery zone.

Comment by Bayou — 3:18 pm September 5, 2008 #

33. I’m writing while eating a Pegasus Special! I love Zeeks. Looking forward to its opening in 2009.

I can relate to those who don’t care for Zeeks. I’m one of the few people in Seattle who doesn’t like Northlake Tavern. Their pizza crust is hard as cardboard.

Comment by Admiral Janeway — 3:23 pm September 5, 2008 #

34. Huindekmi – That is exactly what I was going to say. The crust is lackluster. A good crust should be able to stand on its own and be eaten like bread. My kingdom for a Pagliacci that serves slices in WS.

Not that I won’t patronize them in a pinch, and I think a pizza joint is a wonderful fit for that space. I like how Zeeks covers their walls with posters of local events.

Comment by Manuel W. — 3:42 pm September 5, 2008 #

35. I’d like to voice my strong support for the promise of fixing up that space and restoring some of the original design elements! Thanks!

Comment by JW — 4:07 pm September 5, 2008 #

36. sigh…. I was hoping we’d get a Julias. :( Last thing I need is another CarbFest joint.

I’ll stick with Abondanza.

Comment by grr — 5:59 pm September 5, 2008 #

37. More mediocre pizza in Seattle. Yay!

Comment by austin — 9:07 pm September 5, 2008 #

38. Bob Loblaw supports any business with a potential liquor license within crawling distance of Casa de Loblaw!

Comment by BobLoblaw — 10:50 pm September 5, 2008 #

39. To keep everyone happy, how ’bout Zeke’s pizza brought to your table by dancing Starbucks baristas who usta work at Julia’s or Chuck and Sallys? If we could just get the liquor store to move in between Zeeks and BPP, WOW! Thas whad I’m talkin ’bout!

Nothin’ this exciting on the More-Cal corner since slidin’ Joe Banana’s Pizzahouse’s 3rd and final grease fire many moons ago.

Comment by Deeno — 11:27 pm September 5, 2008 #

40. West 5 is better than Julias. :) and carbs are better than salads.

Comment by growl — 7:41 am September 6, 2008 #

41. I would love to able to walk down to zeeks for lunch!

I am so delighted to have them close!

Comment by amy — 9:21 am September 6, 2008 #

42. From the bricks & morter standpoint, another pizza place for me is sort of “eh” and not too exciting. Some of the pies mentioned sound interesting though and I’m sure we’ll give delivery a try. I’ll cross my fingers for the underserved southerners!

Comment by GenHillOne — 11:45 am September 6, 2008 #

43. GHOne – in my opinion, the underserved southerners have scored big with Zeeks.

Comment by Admiral Janeway — 12:32 pm September 6, 2008 #

44. I’ll try Zeeks since I only live a couple blocks away. Abondazza is good, but every time I go there, they seem really unorganized. I was there last week to pick a pie up and a waitress was yelling at the cashier because she told someone they could order Lasagna without ricotta. It was really awkward for all of us. Not to mention I have called in orders that “get lost” when I go pick them up. Good food though, but not worth the extra drama.

Comment by j — 10:14 pm September 6, 2008 #

45. RIGHT ON A PLACE TO SIT DOWN AND EAT A PIE CLOSE TO HOME…

Comment by JEFF — 2:25 am September 7, 2008 #

46. John Candy and a Chop delivered to my door? YES!!!!!

Comment by bonnie — 11:54 am September 8, 2008 #

47. What is going into the old BPP space next door?

Comment by DW — 1:18 pm September 8, 2008 #

48. Feedback Lounge (though we have heard the name only secondhand), previously reported here:

Comment by WSB — 1:25 pm September 8, 2008 #

49. I was so pleasesd that someone mentioned Joe Bananas. While working at Joe Banana’s through High School (at that time he was up across from Spiro’s) Harry and his wife Eve were like second parents to Lodi and me. Never had pizza like that since, right Kathy and Ruthie? I just wish that there was a place for high school kids to go after the football games…..oh! that’s right kids don’t go their High School games any longer….so sad!
    ALKI BEACH

Comment by Trish Maguire — 12:12 pm September 9, 2008 #

50. I’m really curious to see if their delivery area extends to Westwood. I’d take Zeek’s over Giannoni’s anyday.

Comment by A.L. — 3:33 pm September 10, 2008 #

51. Me and mine are very excited about Zeeks! We’ll do our share to make it successful.

Comment by Russell — 10:19 pm September 15, 2008 #

52. Julia’s sucks and always has. It’s mind-boggling popularity makes it very expensive for the goods and services received, as well. The blandness of their food brings to mind the brown rice in a whole wheat tortilla “burrito” or the anarchist collective pizza that passed for “food” in the U-dist. back in the seventies. Thank goodness real cooks understand that healthy doesn’t need to equal bland. Julia’s is beige on the palate.

Comment by dawsonct — 2:21 pm September 29, 2008 #

53. Thanks for helping prevent global warming! Now I can eliminate two trips to North Seattle just for two slices of peperoni and a root beer. I’ll definitely be in for lunch at least once a week and I’ll bring the kids. Welcome to West Seattle, Zeeks!

Comment by Christian — 9:24 am October 10, 2008 #

54. SMART SMART ZEEKS!!
    I can not tell you the number of times I wanted pizza delivered, only to find none will come to the Westwood area.
    Here is hoping the Zeeks will do so.

Comment by Andrea — 3:47 pm November 6, 2008 #

55. I am excited if Zeeks is kid friendly. We have not had a place to take a group for a kids b-day party or sports get together. Fo rgood Pizza besides our other upscale Pizza @ Spiros and Pegasis, we have been enjoying the by the slice Pizza @ Westwood Villiage and the Pack Man arcade game. Only wish they had a bit more seating. Go Westwood Pizza (so sorry I can’t remember name)

Comment by AC — 2:01 pm November 15, 2008 #