Also happening tonight: Admiral “play area” update

August 20, 2008 at 11:19 am | In California Place Park, How to help, West Seattle news, West Seattle parks | 13 Comments

We last checked in July 24 on the volunteers organizing to create some type of “play area” at or near the North Admiral mini-park shown at left, California Place (northwest corner of California/Hill, just east of Admiral Congregational Church; here’s a map). One of the organizers, Manolita Slye, just wrote to say they’re meeting again tonight (as we mentioned in last month’s story, they’re meeting twice monthly as the effort gets off the ground) — 7 pm at West Seattle (Admiral) Library. She mentioned something we’d also been told in a recent note from someone else — apparently opponents are starting to organize — so she is hoping that more of the families who have expressed support for the potential play area will show up tonight.

1. WHY would anyone oppose this? Is it the immediate neighbors, who don’t want riff-raff enjoying a sunny day so close to their houses?

Comment by acemotel — 11:41 am August 20, 2008 #

2. acemotel…I think it’s people who want to leave that spot as is, who think that it’s nice to have that little green oasis there, and are afraid that there will be “playground” equipment, etc. instead of an open area with grass. That’s what I’m hearing.The people in the neighborhood have no problem with kids playing in that little triangle, they just don’t want it developed just for kids…

Comment by JanS — 12:07 pm August 20, 2008 #

3. acemotel…any good neighbor would not want to impact their neighbors with extra noise or a project that would lower their property values. These immediate neighbors should have the most say as they have the most at risk. Thank you JanS you are right on!

Comment by respect to homeowners — 12:47 pm August 20, 2008 #

4. FWIW there is already plenty of riff raff in the park. Hangin’ out tryin’ to be cool. Condoms, butts, and trash abound. I’d vote for any improvements just so it might keep rejects away from families and kids trying to enjoy a public space.

Comment by WSratsinacage — 1:08 pm August 20, 2008 #

5. I don’t really feel passionate about it either way. I like the grass and trees the way they are, but if it would give many folks more enjoyment then that is always a good thing. I was not aware of the riff raffery.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I also remember seeing that this project would cost 250Kish. This is for some logs, rocks, and textural shrubs?

Comment by big gulps,eh? well, see ya later. — 2:40 pm August 20, 2008 #

6. I’m a little late to this discussion as I know the play ground proposal is already being argued. My only concern is whether or not the safety issue of California Ave has been addressed. Will there be some kind of a fence put up so that children won’t blindly run into the street? Also, has anyone considered the empty “triangle” greenspace just southwest of this site?

Comment by west side sun lover — 2:51 pm August 20, 2008 #

7. WSSL – fences are not currently in vogue, according to the Parks Dept. project manager, but the features could be structured so there are buffers. Re: the empty triangle, that’s what they wanted to use first, but SDOT told them no way (it owns that land as a right-of-way). Councilmember Tom Rasmussen was looking into why they said “no way” and I expect that will be among the updates at tonight’s meeting.

Comment by WSB — 2:58 pm August 20, 2008 #

8. Just out of curiosity, would a project like this truly lower property values as “respect to homeowners” stated?

Comment by cmc — 4:24 pm August 20, 2008 #

9. Riff raff? I live very close, walk past there all the time, and I’ve never seen riff raffery, tomfoolery or ne’er do welling at all. Just people waiting for the bus. I like the idea of putting something in the vacant triangle spot. California is too busy there for kids to play without a fence.

Comment by Donna — 10:32 am August 21, 2008 #

10. P.S. for anyone happening onto this thread today, we did cover the meeting last night and are writing up the article right now, hopefully for publication here before noon if breaking news doesn’t interrupt! – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:42 am August 21, 2008 #

11. http://westseattleblog.com/blog/?p=9918

Comment by WSB — 12:54 pm August 21, 2008 #

12. Children play in the triangle now and people walk through it all the time. The only change I would like to see is new grass and a bench or two and may be a light. I am opposed to anything else, if I wanted to live by a park I would have bought my home next to one! I live here because I want to be in a nighborhood,not where there is a facility constructed for public use. There are other parks to be used close by. Please leave this a neighborhood.

Comment by JE — 6:36 pm September 12, 2008 #