The Corner Inn is closed

June 3, 2008 at 4:53 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 46 Comments

cornerinnlease.jpg

We just spoke to Chris Deering, the sister of the last two operators of The Corner Inn at California/Fauntleroy in Morgan Junction, and she confirms that The Corner Inn is closed. The building has reverted back to the owner and is now being advertised for lease. Chris says that on behalf of her late brothers she’d like to thank the many people who came to The Corner Inn over the years. 10:50 PM ADDITION: Before tips came in today about the shutdown (thank you to everyone who e-mailed and texted), we had been checking on the “for lease” sign that had appeared on the west side of the building (see the photo above). Worth noting that there was a development proposal (described on the city project page as a three-story apartment building with ground-level retail) filed for this site back in 2006 — no activity since June of that year.

1. Teds Tavern
    Chuck and Sally’s
    TNT
    New Luck Toy
    The Corner Inn

What’s next? Poggie? Corner Pocket?

Where are all the scuzzy joints going?

Comment by Eddie — 4:59 pm June 3, 2008 #

2. I can’t help but wonder if the overall development of West Seattle plays a hand in the demise of the taverns and pubs, while at the same time, we see more lounges appear.

Comment by Rasmus — 5:35 pm June 3, 2008 #

3. Rasmus,
    I’m not sure which comes first, but the demographic here in WS is changing – old houses turn into septaplexes, old dives lose their customer base and close after long runs, the Monorail dream comes and goes and the bridge is still backed up all morning! Oh, they still haven’t put in sidewalks in Arbor Heights yet, either. Maybe some things DON’T change!

Comment by chas redmond — 5:42 pm June 3, 2008 #

4. the only real loss was The Admiral Benbow.
    The real guessing game will be: which one of the new W.S. places will become the next dive/tweaker bar??????

Comment by toddinwestwood — 5:47 pm June 3, 2008 #

5. The Corner Inn was a great place to hang out. On Tuesday & Saturday nights we were entertained by an absolutely awesome musician, Lauren Petrie. He brought a lot of people together with his music. So it isn’t just the Corner Inn that will be missed but the employees, past & present that have made this place ROCK!

Comment by Pam — 5:59 pm June 3, 2008 #

6. Is West Seattle becoming GENTRIFIED???

Comment by Bikefor1 — 6:25 pm June 3, 2008 #

7. toddin westwood..funny that you mention the Admiral Benbow…it just sits there empty…wonder if the “developer who wants to “develop” that corner has put things on the back burner. Auto Buff moved over a year ago, and still nothing happening there…

Bikefor1…what do you think?

Comment by JanS — 6:45 pm June 3, 2008 #

8. I heard a rumor that the Rocksport would be taking over the corner inn/old BPP spot. let’s hope it’s true!

Comment by JenV — 6:47 pm June 3, 2008 #

9. The Alki Tavern is probably next on the list.

Comment by Ron Burgundy — 7:08 pm June 3, 2008 #

10. JenV, I’ll hope too; they might even pick up the Seafair Pirate tradition!

I don’t know much about the Corner Inn, but it sounds like it closed because the proprietor passed away…hardly a sign of WS gentrification.

Comment by GenHillOne — 7:09 pm June 3, 2008 #

11. I am very sad the Corner Inn is gone. We could take our dog there and sit outside and enjoy the nice summer evenings with our pup and have a beer or a cocktail.

I LOVED the staff at the Corner Inn and when I read this today, I almost cried. I have always liked taverns and will sincerely miss the Corner Inn.

I hate the new yuppie places opening up. They are expensive and snooty. I like a place where I can go with friends and talk and enjoy drinks without the worry that I am either there to pick up somebody or that I am not dressed up enough.

Comment by Jenn — 7:14 pm June 3, 2008 #

12. I hope the ROCKSPORT doesn’t go in there. Yuck. But seriously, other than the Chelan Cafe, where else can you get Jack Daniels and pancakes at 1:00 AM.

Comment by WEST SEATTE LIFER — 7:50 pm June 3, 2008 #

13. soooo sad! it was one of the last dive bars in ws!!! the staff was always sooooo friendly and i loved the pull tabs!!!!

Comment by changingtimes — 7:58 pm June 3, 2008 #

14. There’s still the Triangle Pub and whatever the one on Sylvan Way just north of Home Depot is called. Oh, Poggie will be here a long time I suspect. Big Jim loves a crowd and they’re getting right up there with the musical venue gig. Cheap beer and live music right on California Avenue in the heart of the Junction. Yeah, baby!

(disclaimer: The Slags, a band I’m associated with, plays there every month or so and we always have a crowd and a good time. Stella on tap.)

Comment by chas redmond — 8:20 pm June 3, 2008 #

15. chas- that would be the Tug Tavern…and it RAWKS!

Comment by JenV — 8:21 pm June 3, 2008 #

16. sigh. the stiffest drinks in west seattle. gone in a flash. no rocksport in that spot, please.

Comment by beef — 8:36 pm June 3, 2008 #

17. I only went in to the Corner Inn a couple of times. Not really my scene, but I’m sorry to hear it’s gone. I love places like Poggie and Alki Tavern – happy to have newer more upscale options like Spring Hill and Ama Ama, but you gotta have a few dives to keep things interesting. And less expensive!

Comment by Keith — 8:49 pm June 3, 2008 #

18. a) sorry, JenV, misread – was thinking of Rocksport moving to Benbow locale – liked that idea!

b) doesn’t ANY place with pull tabs automatically qualify as a great dive? addictive little suckers…

Comment by GenHillOne — 8:56 pm June 3, 2008 #

19. a shame, I me a lot of wonderful people in that place. I moved out of W Seattle and haven’t been in for a while, but I will miss Lynn, and Christopher Michael for sure. I lived 1/2 a block away and for a few years my social life and many friends were based out of/centered around the joint. Best drinks around, BEST karaoke in the city. I am really stunned, my birthday there last year was such a great night. Would have loved to have been able to have a send off for the old hangout. I am truly sad, as corny as it may sound I am. RIP

J

Comment by Jake and Dallas — 10:05 pm June 3, 2008 #

20. Without a doubt my favorite place to perform Karaoke in the whole city is now gone.

You will be missed.

Comment by Uncle Bling — 11:50 am June 4, 2008 #

21. Man, I really hope they don’t move the Rocksport into that location. We could use some more restaurant options in Morgan junction, not jocks and cover bands :)

Comment by Aaron — 12:38 pm June 4, 2008 #

22. Yeah it’s sad! I’m glad to see all of these comments. I thought I was the only one that felt this way.

Comment by Wiseman — 1:08 pm June 4, 2008 #

23. Man! I just planted the flowers in the beds a couple of weeks ago. What a great place/dive. I am really sad we couldn’t have a send off party to say goodbye to all the bartenders. Where will they go? Who is going to feed me when my husband is out fishing? Sad sad kitty.

Comment by Kat — 2:09 pm June 4, 2008 #

24. I heard a rumor that its closing was due to bad book-keeping or some other tax related issue. But it’s just a rumor.

Personally, I thought the place had charm (even though I’ve only been inside once or twice). I certainly hope the Rocksport doesn’t move in. Eck!

Comment by Rasmus — 4:17 pm June 4, 2008 #

25. On the other end of town the Yen Wor and the Admiral Pub have survived the demise of the old school pub establishment. Not sure why and come to think of it the Admiral might be a “two star” dive.

On a serious note, I hope the staff of the CI land in new job quickly. Sad to hear of the closure which seems to be on a very short notice to the employees.

Comment by supernova72 — 6:45 pm June 4, 2008 #

26. Tuesdays and Saturdays the early evening was packed with people from all over Seattle listening at the piano bar (purchased by Dave Norberg from the old Dog House) to Loren…if you were never there you would not believe the following Loren has! Where will they all go now? What is left of some of the good old places to hear the good old songs? People from 40 to 100 listened and loved the songs that drifted through the Corner Inn. What a sad loss not only for West Seattle but for the entire city. I know things change but I so love to hold on to the wonderful things of the past that meant so much to so many!
    Please WestSeattleBlog keep us informed if you hear where Loren will be continuing to entertain and keep memories alive!

Comment by Sue Lindblom — 8:44 pm June 4, 2008 #

27. As a loyal patron of the C.I. for many years I am deeply saddened for the staff of the C.I. to be put in the posision of being without jobs and have lives turned upside down at a moments notice. It’s so not fair to them. The friendships they have built with the regulars over the years is something I witnessed first hand and I myself, will personally treasure for the rest of my life! I was one who went as far as to chose my residence to be 1 blk away for this very reason… Twice!!! This in turn meant there were many months where I spent more at this establishment then I did on my own rent… Not something I am proud of, but alas true… As I’m an avid karaoke junkie now, Christopher micheal was a superstar host who had a huge bearing on my karaoke addiction! My first song was sung there. Now, I am a karaoke host myself at the yen wor on tue-wed nights. Thank you christopher, the corner inn staff, all the wonderfull people I met over the years and the true commrodery and ambiance of this establishment for having a huge bearing on making me the person I am today! The corner inn will be truley missed by many, many people!!!

Comment by joe the karaoke ho — 10:58 pm June 4, 2008 #

28. The Corner Inn has been nominated more than once by the Washington Blues Society as Best Blues Club at their annual awards event, the BBs. Nearly every weekend for who knows how long, blues fans and swing dancers of several generations have gathered together to socialize, sing and dance and have enjoyed a certain closeness and comfort in our little neighborhood pub.

Today, Brian Lee of the band The Blues Orbiters, wrote to me about the sudden closing of the Corner Inn: “Bummer. I loved the Corner. We had a great following there, including you! I especially liked the swing dancing folks of all ages that hung out there. A sad day … I guess this makes us the last band to ever play the venue. At least its last nights were good ones. We were really playing well on those nights and everyone was having a great ol’ time.”

With all the recent closings of our favorite venues, Blues fans are seriously looking for a new place to call home. Our requirements are simple: Good live Blues music, good food and fair prices on beverages, ample parking, central location. Contact vicepres@wablues.org with your ideas; get your Blues insights/comments published in the Bluesletter.

Comment by Rev. Deb, Washington Blues Society — 3:40 pm June 5, 2008 #

29. I also heard from a pretty reliable source that ‘The Tax Man Cometh’ as being the demise of the C.I. I’ve never been a ‘dive bar’ kinda of person, but, I have to admit that I played in a band that gigged at the CI pretty regularly when I first moved here in ’94. It was, uhm…interesting…

Comment by grr — 6:17 pm June 5, 2008 #

30. As a musician and dancing fool, I have loved The Corner Inn for years, and I’m now feeling loss, loss of a special scene, loss of a true community pub, and loss of a valuable venue for quality blues, dancing, and Lauren Petrie (a local gem of a talent).

At least I can take small comfort that I was able to enjoy the last Saturday of The Corner’s existence, when (along with Lauren) The Blues Orbiters were their usual quality selves, and I danced my fool arse off (again).

I feel bad for all the people to whom The Corner Inn was their prime weekly event, all the people who followed Lauren, the West Coast Swing club of masterful dancers, the faithul employees who worked so hard to keep us served.

I can only hope that another venue will spring up.

Yo, Paul Allen. Want to enliven the culture of Seattle? Promote Jimi Hendrics maybe? Blues? Dancing? Lease the Corner Inn and make it again what it can be, a loved pub for music, dance, and old fashioned community.

Comment by Michael Waters — 7:18 pm June 5, 2008 #

31. What a shame,I loved that place, best drinks in town & Terry was geat! I hope I can find her wherever she ends up, hopefully pouring cocktails!

Comment by Green jacket guy — 5:26 pm June 6, 2008 #

32. If community centers had liquor licenses, they’d be the corner inn. Total bummer for the natives of this great neighborhood.

Comment by dmile — 6:38 pm June 7, 2008 #

33. The loss of the Corner Inn hit me pretty hard. I’ve spoken to other regulars who compare it to a death in the family. While I wouldn’t go that far, I do feel a vague sense of emptyness and loss. My heart goes out to Lynn, Keena, Christopher Mychal and everyone else who lost their jobs without warning. Hope you guys land on your feet. And what about Lauren’s crowd? It’s one thing to find a new hangout when you’re young but try it when you’re 70 years old! As for me, I hate breaking in a new bar, but I think I’ll mosey down the road to the Yen Wor and check out Karaoke Joe. Peace

*************P.S.*******************************

When the leases run out on all the businesses in the Admiral Benbow block, the whole thing will be torn down to make way for a Trader Joe’s supermarket.

Comment by rico suave — 7:17 pm June 7, 2008 #

34. There’s been a development proposal in the works there for something like two years now and TJ’s was always the rumor, although lately its rumored site has floated elsewhere. If you have actual concrete proof that TJ’s has finally signed with somebody in WS, send us a note! editor@westseattleblog.com

Comment by WSB — 8:59 pm June 7, 2008 #

35. Looking for a dive, strong drinks, and karaoke in West Seattle? The Yen Wor in the Admiral district. Long live the “Young Whore!”

Comment by WS Alum — 6:06 pm June 9, 2008 #

36. Some rumors brewing that folks are trying to help get the $’s together to reopen our Corner Inn and bring our piano bar Man Lauren Petrie back to his followers!

Whether this works out or not Lauren plays at the WS Senior Center every other Wed evening and at the White Center Eagles as well as the WS Eagles. He can run but he cannot hide from us!

Comment by Undancehappy — 9:59 am June 12, 2008 #

37. Well, the Corner Inn had many many great years, but that bartender wanna be Keena was an absolute bitch— it has gone totally downhill in the last year, her karma finally came around. Us West Seattle peeps will find another hang out.

Comment by It was long overdue — 2:16 pm June 12, 2008 #

38. Comment by “It was long overdue” about Keena is absolutely wrong & obnoxious!. Keena was a great worker and a very nice person!. She always did her job in a very nice and professional way. Maybe “It was long overdue’s bad attitude…

Comment by Pam — 7:15 pm June 12, 2008 #

39. Well Pam, everybody is entitled to have their own opinion. I adore Christohper Michael, Lynn, Kate, and the old bartender Jason was the best—-Keena was just not my fav—-it’s all good.

Comment by It was long overdue — 11:55 pm June 12, 2008 #

40. Hey “long overdue”,
    Don’t you think it’s childish and stupid to go online and badmouth your current boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend? Why don’t you grow up?

P.S. Tell Jason I said hi

Comment by sammykins — 10:34 pm June 13, 2008 #

41. Wow! Now that the Corner Inn is now closed, I’m damned if I know of anywhere else in the neighborhood where I can go and get a “VO and Coke in a plastic cup, no glass.” At this point, I think that the sanest, easiest, most mutually comfortable and in fact, most potentially meaningful thing you can do now…is mind your Effen business! Because, ‘It was long overdue’…We KNOW WHO YOU ARE! =)

Comment by weneversleep — 10:45 pm June 13, 2008 #

42. Buzzzz wrong answer “Sammy” LOL I think it’s hysterical though that you think the only person who could possibly dislike “HER” is a current girlfriend, how arrogant. You have absolutely NO clue who I am—–it’s sooooo funny!! You all just made my day! ~~~karma is the best~~~

Just an old friend from the Family & Adult Service Center—-

Comment by It was long overdue — 7:14 pm June 14, 2008 #

43. I would like to thank everyone for your (mostly)kind words, and well wishes. I have it on best authority that most of the displaced employees have found new jobs.(havnt heard from Terri, Sandy, & Jimi) Happy to report we have a karaoke show at The Rocksport on sat. June 21st. With plans for a more permanent schedule. Hope to see you all there.

Comment by PCM Musiq - CM~ — 4:54 pm June 16, 2008 #

44. Lauren Petrie will be playing at the White Center Eagles on Sunday afternoons June 22nd & Sunday June 29th 12:30-4pm.

Oh and for those who may remember Big Al at karaoke (once you’ve heard Al, you wouldn’t forget him), WC Eagles has karaoke every Wednesday 7:30-11:30pm and Saturday 8:00pm-12:00am and Big Al is always there!!!

Comment by WCEagles — 2:11 pm June 17, 2008 #

45. hey all you corner inn people. tax matters are what brought about the demise of the corner inn. the place was great for years and years but things started to decline after the owner passed on a couple of years ago. thanx for the great bevs terri and katie!

Also: I have some knowledge of legal proceedings regarding the corner’s “abrupt” closure. more on that later….

Comment by 2tough2die — 8:10 am June 18, 2008 #

46. I had been going to the corner for 20 years and been kicked out for 2 when I started working there as a cook for a year.
    I was strange reading all the comments from people I have known for years.

Comment by westseattlerandy — 10:00 pm August 7, 2008 #