Bulletin: Charlestown Cafe sets reopening date, for real

June 19, 2008 at 4:14 pm | In Charlestown Cafe, WS breaking news | 16 Comments

6 am June 30th. Here’s the update that just came in from Charlestown Cafe co-owner Larry Mellum, 4 1/2 months after the fire that forced the beloved restaurant to close for a while:

The Fire Dept. has approved our new Hood System so we are “good to go!!” This week we will finish getting the restaurant put back together and cleaned-up. Believe me it has been a long and frustrating process but the end is near. So, we will make it official. We will be re-opening Monday, June 30th at our usual time 6:00 a.m. … The support we have received from this community has been incredible. We at ‘Charlestown want to thank you all very, very much!! We will see you on the 30th.

If you missed the original news of the February fire, you can catch up with our Charlestown Cafe news archive (newest to oldest), which includes the most recent update from Larry a week and a half ago, when he told us he’d just had a meeting with his staff to see how many he’d have to replace (since the restaurant had been closed so long) – and he reported “Everyone showed up!”

1. Yay! After 4 months, reopening at last!!! It will be great to eat that wonderful frenchtoast and see the wonderful employees again.

Welcome Back Charlestown Cafe.

YOU HAVE BEEN MISSED!!!

Comment by Pam — 4:20 pm June 19, 2008 #

2. Bring on the Liver and Onions!

Comment by flowerpetal — 4:33 pm June 19, 2008 #

3. ok, everyone…breakfast at 7am, Monday, June 30….see you there :)

Comment by JanS — 4:50 pm June 19, 2008 #

4. WHHHHOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

Comment by JunctionMonkey — 4:51 pm June 19, 2008 #

5. Yay! The Charlestown Cafe is a great relief in the ever-increasing, super-expensive bistro type restaurants in West Seattle. Don’t get me wrong – I absolutely love Ama-Ama, and the new Spring Hill restaurant looks very hip (and probably really good). I might actually make it to Beato at some point, too…. However, I don’t want to spend that kind of money every time we go out to grab a bite to eat.

I’m so glad that there’s still room for a place like the Charlestown to remain! My husband and I love how warm and relaxed we feel when we go there, and will be there as soon as it opens! :-)

Comment by Lindsay — 5:03 pm June 19, 2008 #

6. YEAH BABY! I saw them today sprucing up the joint, mowing the lawn, lot full of workers and vehicles. The windows are no longer festooned with the unwelcoming silhouette of inverted chair legs.
    MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmm. Webster’s.

Comment by PSPS — 8:52 pm June 19, 2008 #

7. Three cheers for the Mickey Mouse pancakes! I live two blocks away and have two little ones who will be excited to see CS open its doors again.

Comment by C.A. — 9:04 pm June 19, 2008 #

8. One giant sigh of relief!!!!!!!!! Thanks to all for hanging in there and making it happen!

Comment by call me naive... — 8:53 am June 20, 2008 #

9. Woohoo!!! Eggs Benny here I come!

Comment by eli — 11:29 am June 20, 2008 #

10. I was one of the doubters that we would ever see our beloved restaurant reopen. It feels great to have been wrong!

Comment by MsSceptic — 12:05 pm June 20, 2008 #

11. I’ve been jonesing for a nice, big chef’s salad for a LONG time now……

Comment by Jenny — 2:22 pm June 20, 2008 #

12. Serious question: Did any of you Charlestown Cafe devotee’s lose any weight while it was closed?

I’m just sayin’…….

Comment by Eddie — 8:20 pm June 20, 2008 #

13. Eddie, I must tell you that my spouse and I each lost 25-30 lbs a few years ago even while dining at the cafe several times a week. It is really about the choices a person makes in any situation. Chew on that one, buddy!

Comment by call me naive.... — 9:15 pm June 20, 2008 #

14. Did someone say the champagne?

Our thanks to Ron and Larry for their determination. The community applauds you!!!!

Comment by Arne and Grace — 12:51 pm June 29, 2008 #

15. all the employees are awesome but sacha is the best glad you all are coming back to work
    sicilian one

Comment by shawn rodia — 6:07 pm June 29, 2008 #

16. i ‘ll be there early……….get the breakfest goin…………

Comment by sparky — 9:37 pm June 29, 2008 #