First sighting of $3.90-plus regular gas in West Seattle

May 14, 2008 at 10:54 am | In Gas prices, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

35holden.jpgMay not be the only one by now but it’s the first one we’ve seen on our morning rounds: 35th/Holden Chevron (often, but not always, West Seattle’s highest price for regular, as noted in our archived coverage of West Seattle gas prices). According to AAA, the citywide average is $3.83/gallon, up 28 cents in the past month, 37 cents in the past year, though this particular station/grade is 43 cents over the price we noted this time last year. (One last data point for fellow numbers fans: The Seattle average is 8 cents over the national average.)

1. I wonder if high prices are going to result in fewer cars on the road?

Comment by toomanyratsinacageakaWS — 12:08 pm May 14, 2008 #

2. I think high prices already have resulted in fewer cars on the road. The mister and I have each seen lighter traffic on our respective commutes lately.

Comment by G. Williams — 12:17 pm May 14, 2008 #

3. Good news G. Mine hasn’t improved, been doing the same commute for 12 years. Seems worse if you ask me. :) Leaving WS in the AM always improves once school is out. Peace.

Comment by toomanyratsinacageakaWS — 1:13 pm May 14, 2008 #

4. These aren’t high prices:) All this stations will be ordering lots of 5′s before too long!

Comment by cruiser — 2:04 pm May 14, 2008 #

5. I’m glad I don’t need diesel…last time I checked (about two weeks ago) it was up to $4.55. It still won’t keep me from buying a new car that is less fuel efficient than what I currently own!

Comment by CMP — 2:20 pm May 14, 2008 #

6. It makes me think twice before leaving West Seattle now. If I don’t have to go over the bridge I don’t. Sometimes even driving from the south side of West Seattle to the North side of West Seattle makes me think twice!

Comment by Bonnie — 2:42 pm May 14, 2008 #

7. Totally agree. Hey, remember in the mid 80′s when gas was less than a dollar and I think diesel was even cheaper than unleaded. I just remember this from getting gas for mowing lawns and when I first started driving. Not complaining or anything.

Comment by toomanyratsinacageakaWS — 2:51 pm May 14, 2008 #

8. I remember when I bought my first car in 1998 gas was still under $1/gallon. It killed me the first time I had to pay more than $10 to fill it. Pretty soon it will cost me more than $40. And that is a fuel-sipping Honda Civic!

Comment by swimcat — 3:43 pm May 14, 2008 #

9. everyone makes fun of my little mario cart of a car a toyota corrolla but look whoes laughing now! it takes me 30 dollars paying 3.67 a gallon to fill up to the top! my friend in her little bmw takes 65 dollars to fill up! being a traveling nurse, my job takes me out to federal way and this morning the gas out there was still in the mid 60′s!

Comment by changingtimes — 4:21 pm May 14, 2008 #

10. and my Smart only cost’s $28.00 to fill and that’s with Premium!

Comment by Paul — 6:37 am May 15, 2008 #

11. Prius driver here. On the other hand, I commute to Tacoma. :/

Comment by G. Williams — 10:20 am May 15, 2008 #

12. Hi G Williams! i used to commute from tacoma before taking the plunge to the higher cost of living here in seattle! i feel your pain!! :)

Comment by changingtimes — 8:17 pm May 15, 2008 #