Join us in The Junction tonight

January 18, 2008 at 7:01 am | In West Seattle Community Recognition Awards, West Seattle people | 8 Comments

Second-to-last reminder (we’ll bring it up again toward day’s end) — if you’re in The Junction tonight or not otherwise occupied, we hope to see you TONIGHT at Capers, 7-8ish pm, at the informal gathering announcing the honorees in the first-ever quarterly West Seattle Community Recognition Awards (explained here). trophy1.jpgSince this is the first time, there’s no big formal program planned — no big speeches, no golden statuettes, no tuxes and gowns (sorry), just a chance to come say hi, find out who the recipients are, and meet some of your fellow West Seattleites. Can’t say whether 10 people will be there or 100, but the three of us will be, as will Julie Mireille Anderson of Divina (who hatched the idea for this as a new way to recognize and thank some of the unsung heroes of West Seattle), and the nice folks from Capers who offered to host the gathering (thank you, and also thank you to the judges, who we’ll be listing later, as well as to the people who sent nominations). 7-8ish pm, Capers in The Junction (west side of California, midblock between Oregon and Alaska).

1. I had all intentions of being there tonight, but I’ve been home from work all week, sick.

I was really looking forward to putting some faces to names, and seeing if I recognize anyone, or they recognize me, from my travels around WS, and/or from my place of employment.

Plus, I figured it was time to put to rest the mental picture that many here must have, after reading my postings, that I am a tall, muscular, HWP guy. Since I won’t be there to satisfy that curiosity in others, I’ll reveal here, that one part of the description is accurate. I’m a guy.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good time, and I’ll see you at the next get-together in three months!

Mike

Comment by miws — 8:30 am January 18, 2008 #

2. hehehe…miws…sorry you’ve been sick all week…lots of stuff out there affecting a lot of people. Hope you feel better soon :)

Comment by Jan — 8:47 am January 18, 2008 #

3. Thanks Jan!

Mike

Comment by miws — 9:28 am January 18, 2008 #

4. I, too, would love to be at Capers this evening, but, alas, Friday’s are band practice night for The Slags – a West Seattle rock/punk band. Our next gig is at the Highliner at Fishermens’ Terminal on Feb. 29th (yeah, Leap Year). Actually, most Fridays are out for me because of band practice. We’ll play a tune for West Seattle, though – Rat City (link to song: . For more local West Seattle-written and played tunes go to “slagsband.com” and see why I won’t be there Friday.

Comment by credmond — 11:42 am January 18, 2008 #

5. Still haven’t figured how to embed URLS – the song link is:
    “http://homepage.mac.com/credmond/Sites/Slags/Originals_html_files/ratcity.html”

Comment by credmond — 11:43 am January 18, 2008 #

6. Same way you code them in any other web doc – the a href etc. tag inside <> … that’s how I do it, anyway, no special tricks. Sorry tonight’s a conflict, we’ll see you around the public-meeting circuit :)

Comment by WSB — 11:45 am January 18, 2008 #

7. Hey, WSB, you will, of course, be taking pictures, right? And putting names to faces? Maybe those who can’t make it can have some short video posted of the great time. Thanks. Ya, see ya ’round the ‘hood, fer shur.

Comment by credmond — 12:08 pm January 18, 2008 #

8. Oh, absolutely. We will have video camera, still camera, and laptop (the junior member of the firm will be hoping for wi-fi within reach). Not that we will photograph anyone against their will, of course!!!

Comment by WSB — 12:37 pm January 18, 2008 #