With a hot hat tip to Pike/Pine …

October 2, 2007 at 5:23 pm | In Seen around town | 34 Comments

… we debut a new WSB feature. Thanks to the cool folks at Clementine who agreed to help (after we explained this requires expertise which we don’t have, as the least fashionable people ever), and thanks to the readers who suggested WSB should feature fashion from the streets of West Seattle. (A la Pike/Pine, the city’s premier “fashion seen on the street” site.) First, the photo – then, the narrative, and a request for you:

dianafashion.jpg

Narrative from Clementine owner Linda Walsh: “Diana Mucci, seen on California Ave rockin’ polka dots socks and retro high-top sneakers. The contrast of pattern works well with simple black and white. I like how she mixed it up. Nice on the eyes.” (The Clementine blog, by the way, is here.)

Thanks again to Linda, and now our question for you: Got a snappy name for this feature? Leave a comment or e-mail us! Sorry we still don’t have WSB swag for prizes, but maybe we can post YOUR photo on the site … or something.

1. How about:

‘Oh No! West Seattle Clothed’

Comment by MkH — 5:38 pm October 2, 2007 #

2. “Easy on the eyes”?!?! My retinas are flashing, and I’m having 1970s flashbacks! No offense to the pleasant-looking woman, but yikes! Maybe we should call it the Accidental Time Capsule. Or “West Seattle: Laughing in the Face of Fashion.”

Comment by Picklemom — 5:56 pm October 2, 2007 #

3. Ummm…no.

Comment by GenHillOne — 6:49 pm October 2, 2007 #

4. ‘Halloween is Coming, costume ideas!’

Comment by Erik — 6:52 pm October 2, 2007 #

5. Names off the top of my head and with some help from my Thesaurus: Ready for my Close-Up, The Red Carpet, Person of Style, Dernier Cri (apparently means “latest fashion”).

Comment by The Velvet Bulldog — 6:52 pm October 2, 2007 #

6. OhmyGOD! Is that a man? A woman? Is the advertising for Pagliacci Pizza? Oh the HORROR!

Comment by Westseattlite — 7:09 pm October 2, 2007 #

7. ok…I think (like you all care – hehe), that what looks good on you depends on how old you are. My daughter is 27…I’m not….we mostly wouldn’t wear the same styles of clothing. Is this a cute outfit? yes, it is…isit cute on her? From the responses here, some people think not. Should she wear it? That’s simply up to her…if it makes her happy, why not. I’m sure she’d think that my style is very boring – lol…she’d be right :o)

Comment by Jan — 7:45 pm October 2, 2007 #

8. All due respect here.. Perhaps if Celementine is in charge, we could just get a Shoes We Love tab instead of a Fashion tab. West Seattle is not ready for fashion. We are VERY ripe on good shoes.

Comment by MkH — 9:05 pm October 2, 2007 #

9. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I wish I was blind right now.

Nice pole, though.

Comment by The House — 9:11 pm October 2, 2007 #

10. How ’bout “Fashion Left of Center”?

Comment by kittycatcarlyle — 9:21 pm October 2, 2007 #

11. Actually we’ve already got a shoe pic in queue, also courtesy of the cool Clementine’rs. Tomorrow or Thursday.

Comment by WSB — 9:27 pm October 2, 2007 #

12. Lol! “West Seaddle Fashun”

“Seattle’s Boutique Frontier”

“Seattle Fashion’s ‘Jumping Off Place’”

“West Seattle: A Haught Couture-DIY Mashup!”

Comment by Tom — 9:34 pm October 2, 2007 #

13. “Have You Seen Me?”

Comment by Alvis — 12:26 am October 3, 2007 #

14. JUNCTION FUNKSHION
    okay, so I get that Clementine Linda follows fashion and she might even be aware that there’s someone out there in the world who started shooting street fashion and now has a hugely successful blog http://www.thesartorialist.blogspot.com/
    But, please (basic photography tip) softer light!
    No one stands a chance in that hot, contrasty light!

Comment by :D — 12:27 am October 3, 2007 #

15. I think it’s just bad lighting. Ambient sunlight at this time of year can make people look less fetching than they are.

And that’s a perfectly nice outfit if you ask me. Way too frilly and girly for my tastes but as they say “ensemble on est different.” (together we are different, but it sounds cooler in French.)

Comment by willamina c. — 1:55 am October 3, 2007 #

16. She’s getting me more hot up every time I see her picture…

Comment by Jiggers — 2:41 am October 3, 2007 #

17. Dear “Junction Funkshion” (we kinda like that one) – just to be clear, this is something we asked Clementine if they would be willing to help with, after a few readers suggested a Pike/Pine style “fashion in WS” feature might be fun (we actually hadn’t heard of the one you linked to, perhaps Pike/Pine got her inspiration there). As for the sunshine, we’re not going to have to worry about THAT much around here for the next few months …

Comment by WSB — 7:22 am October 3, 2007 #

18. how about…
    “seattle’s west dressed”???

Comment by k — 7:24 am October 3, 2007 #

19. I thought being fashionable in Seattle was about being ANTI-fashion.

The fashion industry’s reason for existing is to convince us to wear ugly and silly things, so that we feel insecure the NEXT year when someone points out that last year’s things are ugly and silly.

But maybe that’s my latent grunge girl resurfacing. I’ll repent for my sin and watch “What Not To Wear” over and over….

Comment by Kayleigh — 7:29 am October 3, 2007 #

20. This outfit has a very…..”mommy drinks” look to it.

Comment by Christopher Boffoli — 7:43 am October 3, 2007 #

21. ‘Fashion’ and the ‘fashion industry’ are two different things. This girl obviously is taking cues from no one but herself. Good for her! In my opinion, West Seattle could use more inspired dressing. Those new Pemco commercials showing Seattleites wearing wool socks with sandals is a bit nauseating, if somewhat true.

Comment by villagegreen — 8:31 am October 3, 2007 #

22. I guess I was the only one who saw those sneakers and said, “I LOVE ‘em!” Seriously, in this day and age of boringness abounding, those sneakers rule!

Comment by eilis flynn — 8:35 am October 3, 2007 #

23. The pole is recycled from the defunct Backstage Thrift, along with the awning it is holding up.

Comment by Gina — 9:03 am October 3, 2007 #

24. So, “fashion” is a 40yo woman dressing like a 14yo girl from the early 80′s?

Comment by Huindekmi — 9:10 am October 3, 2007 #

25. Pippi Longstocking’s long-lost auntie??

Comment by Jumbojim — 10:11 am October 3, 2007 #

26. It’s whatever you want it to be. As long as you put more thought into it than simply putting on whatever’s most comfortable. As someone in The Stranger said recently, “If comfort was our only goal as a species, we’d all be wandering around in velour sacks, idly masturbating, and eating fistfuls of pudding.”

Comment by villagegreen — 10:12 am October 3, 2007 #

27. still trying to figure out why WSB needs a fashion feature…..

Comment by s — 10:13 am October 3, 2007 #

28. “Project Runaway Disaster”

“WS Style and No Sense”

“WS WTF”

still trying to figure out why WSB needs a fashion feature…..

You DID see the picture, no?

Comment by OP — 10:22 am October 3, 2007 #

29. We don’t “need” a fashion feature … probably a fair amount of things here we don’t “need” … but we’re experimenting with additions, absent the budget for good old-fashioned market research (although the stat services help with generalities). Thousands of WS folks have found us so far but there are thousands more still out there … perhaps even some interested in fashion, which so far seems to be drawing almost as much commentary as food! BTW in response to a couple of notes so far: Anybody else interested in contributing to this, or anything else here on the blog, we are always an open door for photos, rants, raves, reader recommendation requests, news tips, etc. Follow the “Contact WSB” page to e-mail us, snail-mail us, call us, text us.

Comment by WSB — 11:12 am October 3, 2007 #

30. i love this. cant wait for more!!

Comment by ST.B — 10:18 pm October 3, 2007 #

31. Junction Funkshion seems too Junction-centric to me, but the Funk IS very good. Can’t have too much Funk when it comes to Fashion.

Though I don’t deliberately do Funky Fashion myself, I respect it.

I kind of like West Dressed, k.

Comment by westseattledood — 11:30 am October 4, 2007 #

32. Just a thought for whoever runs this fine blog: You might want to check into the legalities of posting pictures of people w/o their permission. (That doesn’t seem like the case, just offering some friendly advice and perhaps a posting caveat emptor.)

Comment by OP — 2:51 pm October 4, 2007 #

33. “we’d all be wandering around in velour sacks, idly masturbating, and eating fistfuls of pudding”..

I *knew* that person following me around had a camera. Dang! Guess its back to the bat cave for me…

Comment by JumboJim — 3:22 pm October 4, 2007 #

34. Seriously… Tell me this is a joke.

Comment by sassy — 7:09 pm October 5, 2007 #