The periodic West Seattle Trader Joe’s Rumor Watch update

September 18, 2007 at 1:03 pm | In West Seattle businesses | 18 Comments

Just ’cause we know you’re wondering … and ’cause we are … and ’cause 3 1/2 long months have passed since a WSB reader was told by TJ’s to “feel free to check back sometime this fall” … we jumped the gun here in the final days of summer and checked. tjslogo.jpgThe official Trader Joe’s party line, according to what their media-relations department told us by phone, is: Next Northwest store, Bellingham (opening a week from Friday). Next Northwest store after that, Bend, OR (where Hack Bend is watching construction closely). Then their “real estate team” delivers its next scouting report to Trader Joe’s kahunas in January or February. Hmm.

1. That’s just not fair! Are you aware of any updates to the project at the corner of Admiral Way and 42nd Ave SW? The only business left in the dilapidated building is a dry cleaners. There has been no apparent progress since the “land use” sign was first posted ages ago. That was rumored to be a Trader Joe’s location at one point — the land use plan sign even said the proposed project was to include a 14,000 SF grocery.

Comment by ms_f — 2:08 pm September 18, 2007 #

2. I think we should overload TJ’s corporate with requests for a store in WS….

here’s the web link to follow if you want to do that!!!!

Comment by Dorcas — 2:15 pm September 18, 2007 #

3. Please God,
    If we have to put up with Mars Hill Church, then please have mercy and at least give us a Trader Joes.

Comment by flipjack — 3:20 pm September 18, 2007 #

4. I am with ya’ Flipjack..

But I asked at the Burien store (at the time of a different “TJ is coming to WS” rumor) and the feeling at that time was that if they did that, the Burien store would shut down, because so many of their customers come from both WS and Vashon that there would no be enough business left to support the Burien store.

I think that it is only a pipe dream that TJ will be coming to WS any time soon. Though I wish it were different…

Comment by que — 3:38 pm September 18, 2007 #

5. We really need a healthy food store we can walk to from High Point. One of our Neighborhood Association Committees is the “Bus and Groceries” team, so they will lobby for stores like TJ to land somewhere close. Thanks for your support.

Comment by andrew — 9:09 pm September 18, 2007 #

6. flipjack- I love you. ;-)

Comment by pigeonmom — 1:40 am September 19, 2007 #

7. can I get an AMEN for flipjack?

Comment by Jen V. — 7:08 am September 19, 2007 #

8. Trader Joe’s is the ONLY thing that West Seattle is missing. I think that is ridiculous about the fear of shutting down the Burien store and I agree with Dorcas–bombard the fools with requests!

Comment by Meghan — 7:39 pm September 19, 2007 #

9. It is especially annoying that the check stands at the Burien store are named after “local” neighborhoods – including Fauntleroy….

Comment by Max — 9:25 pm September 19, 2007 #

10. Meghan- We need a Quiznos too. There are way too many Subways in WS IMO.

Max- That chaps my hide too.

Comment by pigeonmom — 7:01 am September 20, 2007 #

11. No Quiznos in West Seattle. West Seattle is a anti-chain community and I would like to keep it that way. Trader Joe’s would be one of only a hand full of chain business that true people of West Seattle would welcome. If you start letting stores like Quiznos in, you start becoming like Burien.

Comment by Brad — 11:17 am September 20, 2007 #

12. hmm…anti-chain….Subway, Mickey D’s, Domino’s, Pizza Hut, Taco del Mar, Jack in the Box, Garlic Jim’s, Starbuck’s, Tully’s, Taco Time…

Comment by Jan — 2:19 pm September 20, 2007 #

13. Now you see what I mean. I rest my case.

Comment by Brad — 4:24 pm September 20, 2007 #

14. I agree, scale back all the chain stores. You don’t remember West Seattle for Quiznos, you remember West Seattle for places like Circa and The Alki Homestead. But Trader Joe’s would be welcomed.

Comment by Morgan — 7:26 pm September 20, 2007 #

15. I agree, scale back the chain stores. You don’t remember West Seattle for Quiznos and Starbucks, you remember West Seattle for places like Circa, West 5, Husky and The Alki Homestead. Just to name a few.

Comment by Morgan — 7:55 pm September 20, 2007 #

16. ok ok
    What I should have said was…
    I’ll gladly trade an existing Subway
    for a Quiznos.

Comment by pigeonmom — 10:38 pm September 20, 2007 #

17. There’s a new TJ’s under construction in Ballard. It’s near the main Mars Hill church just south of Leary Way. Don’t when it’ll open, the foundation is poured and they’ve started framing the building.

Comment by Kathy — 1:19 pm September 22, 2007 #

18. I heard there might be a Red Robin opening up at the corner of Admiral Way and 42nd Ave SW, not a Trader Joe’s. Any truth to that?

Comment by Joe — 11:35 am October 8, 2007 #