Toddler-friendly WS coffee shop?

A WSB reader stuck on this side of the bridge because of the Commute From Hell (see below) wonders if any WS coffee shop is toddler-friendly (play area, perhaps?). We have been to most if not all WS coffee shops in recent months and can’t recall any — but perhaps something has changed — anyone?

26 Replies to "Toddler-friendly WS coffee shop?"

• comment-avatar
    Melissa July 18, 2007 (1:11 pm)

C&P Coffee on California is very kid-friendly. There’s a little room to the side with a wee chair and some books, as well as a garden/yard area out back for kids to play in. If your kid is afraid of dogs, however, this isn’t the place for you.

• comment-avatar
    Jen July 18, 2007 (1:16 pm)

Coffee to a Tea with Sugar in the Junction has a playspace for kids in the back.

• comment-avatar
    Ali July 18, 2007 (1:21 pm)

Coffee to a Tea for sure. In fact, we had our son’s first birthday party there in April and it was great! They have a pretty good sized play area and are very accommodating.

• comment-avatar
    chas redmond July 18, 2007 (1:22 pm)

It’s only open ’til 2:00 pm, but Bird on a Wire (35th & Henderson, around the corner on Henderson) is also very kid friendly with stuffed toys and kids books and a kid-comfortable couch. Bikes & Brew was very kid-friendly – I still miss that one, was a fav for the Sunday Market and am sorry they didn’t make it.

• comment-avatar
    WSB July 18, 2007 (1:24 pm)

WSB readers rock, as usual. Totally spaced the back area at Coffee to a Tea (we usually sit by the front window). It’s also a fun place for grownups – with the kitchen area open to a seating bar, you can watch the bakers work.

• comment-avatar
    Trevor F. Smith July 18, 2007 (1:27 pm)

Coffee to a Tea has the best play area of all the local coffee shops, and I take my 20 month old daughter there quite a bit. My only complaint is that the play area is on a short stage above a concrete floor and I’ve seen more than one toddler try their hand at stage diving with painful results.

But, one of their great cupcakes usually erases all memory of the fall. :-)

• comment-avatar
    hello insomnia July 18, 2007 (1:43 pm)

I really liked Bikes and Brew, but it was difficult to ferry an uncollapsed stroller up the stairs. Coffee to a Tea is a great place for kids. I agree with Trevor, that step is steep for those quick-footed tots but the plethora of toys and books work as a quick distraction.

• comment-avatar
    Eric July 18, 2007 (2:05 pm)

Freshy’s on California (across from Hiawatha, north of PCC) has a semi-kids area, complete with a toybox and pinball machine. Easy to get in, and very friendly, I bring my two toddlers often. They always enjoy gently warm steamers and a hug from Amber, the owner.

• comment-avatar
    Robert July 18, 2007 (2:55 pm)

Freshy’s (formerly Speranza) on California near PCC has toys for kids to play with and the owner welcomes parents with kids. I haven’t been there for a while though.

• comment-avatar
    Kelly July 18, 2007 (3:35 pm)

Coffee to a Tea! But I’m with you guys re: that stage – it is a bit scary for little ones.

• comment-avatar
    K July 18, 2007 (3:40 pm)

We love Coffee to a Tea! Once our little guy mastered watching his step on the stage edge it was a lot easier. And the mini cupcakes are DELICIOUS!!

• comment-avatar
    The House July 18, 2007 (5:37 pm)

Hands down Coffee To A Tea is the best coffee shop around. Not only are they kid friendly and have great coffee/cupcakes, but they’re friendly as can be! I don’t think the stage is scary at all as long as you keep an eye on your little ones.

• The Weatherman » Blog Archive » WSB Toddler Friendly Coffee Shop July 18, 2007 (5:52 pm)

[…] WSB has an entry about toddler friendly coffee shops…Looks like Coffee to a Tea with Sugar is the big winner in the comments section. […]

• comment-avatar
    MargL July 18, 2007 (9:42 pm)

Here’s a plug for the West Seattle Moms of Babes on Meetup.com
    The have a weekly meetup at Coffee to a Tea with Sugar on Thursdays at 1pm. So if you have a babe and want to meet some other mom’s in West Seattle and have nothing to do tomorrow at 1 (haw!) you could go there.
    There’s also West Seattle Moms of Tots
    for the slightly older kids (walkers). They have an amazing calendar of activities and the group coordinator, Bonnie, does a wonderful job of organizing all sorts of fun stuff for the kids and moms.

• comment-avatar
    Aidan Hadley July 19, 2007 (1:19 am)

I much sooner patronize a toddler-free and dog-free coffee house. Leave ’em home people!

• comment-avatar
    WSB July 19, 2007 (7:51 am)

You can’t always leave the kid home. The dog, different story. Speaking of which, we didn’t have a post to go with this, but thought some of our fellow non-dog-owners might find it amusing.

• comment-avatar
    Rosie July 19, 2007 (2:24 pm)

Just what does “kid friendly” mean anyway?

If the tyke is well behaved, they should be welcome at any cafe. Just bring some crayons/paper or a toy from home for entertainment. If ‘kid friendly’ means a place where restless tots can roam free while their caregiver chats with friends or otherwise distracts themselves from the monotony of controlling their charges in public, then just stay home and have a friggin’ coffee klatch!

• comment-avatar
    Ginger Rodgers July 19, 2007 (3:11 pm)

I agree with PP’s – CTAT (in Mom speak) is great for a rainy day but the stage is scary for non-walkers.

Also – every time we are there I want to throw up the floor is so freaking dirty (and I am by no means a neat freak).

Aidan – by all means open up a Matador for coffee. Until then my 19 month old is coming with me.

• comment-avatar
    misty July 19, 2007 (6:08 pm)

Come on, Aidan……toddlers aren’t something you just “leave home.” Everyone, and that includes 2 year olds, deserve to be out and about in west seattle.

• comment-avatar
    MargL July 19, 2007 (8:35 pm)

Aidan, have you by chance had a bad experience with a screaming toddler?

• comment-avatar
    Rational Thinking July 20, 2007 (9:57 am)

Everyone was a toddler once…

• comment-avatar
    s July 20, 2007 (3:25 pm)

i dont mind toddlers/kids in public as long as they are under control. people that let their kids roam all over a store piss me off. keep them in a stroller or tethered or something. it is not my job to keep an eye on them, nor am i required to be nice to them.

• comment-avatar
    misty July 20, 2007 (7:16 pm)

S — has any parent ever asked you to keep an eye on their kid, or to be nice to them? I doubt they are wanting anything from you. I don’t like kids roaming around a store either but I don’t let it “piss me off.”

• comment-avatar
    michelle July 24, 2007 (5:12 pm)

Coffe to a Tea has a little play area, AND beer/wine for the moms:)

• comment-avatar
    Katherine July 31, 2007 (4:29 pm)

Freshy’s on California is fun. There is a pinball machine, toys and good homemade food. The owner loves kids and is fun to talk to. Oh and otter pops too. And Victrola coffee, my favorite…

• comment-avatar
    Stephanie December 11, 2007 (2:45 pm)

C&P Coffee is great for kids, especially toddlers. The owners, Cam & Pete oftentimes have their twin almost-2-year-old boys in there hanging out! :)

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann