Pie premiere

July 14, 2007 at 11:02 am | In West Seattle restaurants | 19 Comments

As of this morning, Shoofly Pie Company is open in The Junction, in the ex-Bobby’s Hobbies spot on Cali north of SW Oregon. shooflysign.jpgWe dropped in and can tell you most of what’s on the menu right now: Pies, whole ($21-$22ish) or by the slice ($3.50 for most) including shoofly, cherry, apple, strawberry-rhubarb, lemon meringue, key lime, chocolate cream, “deep chocolate tart”; quiches (same price range) are tomato goat cheese and ham gruyere; and they’re also selling cute-looking individual chicken pot pies ($5). Espresso drinks too, as well as tea and soft drinks. The decor could best be described as simple, clean, IKEAesque, with wood tables and floor, and a fair amount of stainless steel inside to echo the outer trim. Be sure to bring cash, as a sign on the register says they’re not set up for credit cards just yet (but expect to be “soon”).

1. Thanks, WSB…..and did you spring for a piece of pie? Any reviews?

Comment by Jan — 12:50 pm July 14, 2007 #

2. I dropped by and got a piece of apple pie as well as a chicken pot pie to go. I’ll submit a review as soon as I sample them :)

Comment by Tish — 1:03 pm July 14, 2007 #

3. I love overpriced sweeeets!!!

Comment by Jiggers — 3:33 pm July 14, 2007 #

4. I give it a thumbs up. The apple pie tasted like homemade and the pot pie was quite flavorable and had an incredible crust. Having been searching for really good apple pie in the area for quite some time (anyone know of other places I should check out?) I have to say that Shoofly’s is my favorite thus far. They used fresh granny apples that were lightly coated with cinnamon and surgar and a homemade crust that was soft and flaky. Unlike store-bought pies that often drown soggy apples in gel, they kept it all natural (which I see as a big plus). I have a feeling some people will save they go a little light on spices, but for me, it was great.

Comment by Tish — 5:46 pm July 14, 2007 #

5. hey…jiggers…what are you willing to pay for overpriced beer ? ;-)

now…I’m teasing….really..hehe

Comment by Jan — 8:23 pm July 14, 2007 #

6. Tish, thanks for the review. Now I have to get some pie!

Comment by Cathy G — 9:54 pm July 14, 2007 #

7. We tried the cherry pie. Yum! First good pie I’ve had since moving to Seattle 15 years ago. Crust is flaky and tastes like piecrust should. The filling was just the right balance of tart/sweet. The downside…I may gain 50 pounds. I hope they do well.

Comment by Charlie — 11:01 am July 15, 2007 #

8. I’m not a beer drinker..mixed drinks only please.

Comment by Jiggers — 2:38 pm July 15, 2007 #

9. oh, so we can’t even buy you a cheap beer – lol…

and, Charlie, thanks for the review, too…

Comment by Jan — 4:22 pm July 15, 2007 #

10. Coulda sworn the hours said open Sunday – but they weren’t open today despite it being a Summer Fest day. Apparently they don’t open again until Wednesday. Wanted to try that apple pie. Oh well.

Comment by MargL — 9:26 pm July 15, 2007 #

11. Hmm, the press release they sent us did indeed say Sundays, 8 am-4 pm – read it here.

Comment by WSB — 10:28 pm July 15, 2007 #

12. I have a feeling they were a little overwhelmed and needed a few days to re-group. While the two men in the front (the owners?) were extremely nice and enthusiastic, it was clear that they weren’t prepared for the large crowd of people that came. In addition to not having all of their signage yet, they were out of bags and running low on boxes when I arrived. Still–give them a shot on Wednesday. I’m craving another piece of their pie already!

Comment by Tish — 11:29 pm July 15, 2007 #

13. interesting that they would pick this particular weekend to open…given that it was Summerfest. Maybe they’re not originally from West Seattle, and had no idea what consumers we can be at the street fair :)

Comment by Jan — 12:06 am July 16, 2007 #

14. Used to be that the best and flakiest pie crusts were made with lard (!) and more recently with trans fats. Does anyone have the word on how Shoo-Fly makes their crusts? I’m looking forward to an after dinner taste on Wednesday.

Comment by Flowerpetal — 10:06 am July 16, 2007 #

15. I have a feeling they had no idea that it was Summerfest and were overwhelmed, and they probably were closed on Sunday since if they did run out of a lot of supplies, they were not likely to get it easily on a Sunday and need to regroup for Wednesday’s reopening.
    Jan, I couldn’t help myself . . . I was walking by on Saturday and just had to go get a slice of Shoofly without you. I felt so guilty! :)
    I’ll still be meeting you for pie as we arranged (because one can not have too much pie), but I’ll keep my opinions to myself of the authenticity of the shoofly pie so as to not sway your opinion. :)

Comment by Sue — 10:31 am July 16, 2007 #

16. Since watching Twin Peaks, I’ve been looking for a great cherry pie.

Comment by Admiral Janeway — 7:43 pm July 16, 2007 #

17. hmmm….I’ll be looking for Dale Cooper :)

Comment by Jan — 8:44 pm July 16, 2007 #

18. Pie. Wednesday. Must get pie.

Comment by Gina — 10:35 am July 17, 2007 #

19. Wow… The blackberry was delicious. There hasn’t been a pie yet from Shoofly that hasn’t been the best I’ve ever had (don’t tell my wife :D).

Comment by Josh — 9:10 am July 22, 2007 #