OMG, could it be the burger we’ve all yearned for?

July 6, 2007 at 7:42 pm | In West Seattle restaurants, WS miscellaneous | 23 Comments

We’ve had many a discussion here about the need for at least one or two more burger options here in WS. Check it out — this P-I article says the Blue Moon Burgers folks are eyeing our side of the bay. Maybe. Possibly. (We haven’t tried them; have you?)

1. Keep your pants on, they aren’t Red Mill or anything.

I work in Fremont and I’ve had their burgers a handful of times since they opened (which, in the grand scheme of things, is very little). Luna Park is way better.

If Red Mill were opening up in West Seattle, now *that* would be news.

Comment by Nate — 8:22 pm July 6, 2007 #

2. Blue Moon burgers has a store near Uptown Espresso on Westlake avenue in the south Lake Union area. I have tired their burgers on three occasions and decided that the food was not worth going back for. I would rather have a Dick’s burger palace any day over Blue Moon.

Comment by Jack — 8:42 pm July 6, 2007 #

3. Oh I dunno, IMHO Blue Moon has better fries than Dick’s. I’ve been to the South Lake Union place quite a few times and found it to be a very tasty burger!

Comment by MargL — 9:04 pm July 6, 2007 #

4. when talk turns to burgers on here, we seem to forget (or maybe it’s just my opinion) that Elliot Bay Brewpub makes delicious burgers…I love that place. So…we HAVE a good burger joint :)

Comment by Jan — 9:28 pm July 6, 2007 #

5. don’t you think a Dick’s would do really well on Alki? or near the Water Taxi?

Comment by Kelly — 11:09 pm July 6, 2007 #

6. Jak’s puts them all to shame AND they have a happy hour now with $5 burgers…you can now loosen your pants.

Comment by flipjack — 11:21 pm July 6, 2007 #

7. I’m dying for a good burrito place. There are some good ones (in particular, one on Roxbury), but I’m thinking healthy Carta de Oaxaca-style. Or maybe a Paseo. Or Wagamama. I’ve often thought that a good inexpensive healthy place could make a killing in W.S.

Comment by Venkat — 11:22 pm July 6, 2007 #

8. I work near Lake Union, and have tried Blue Moon on several occasions. It’s the best in that area (which isn’t saying much).. but West Seattle’s very own Jak’s and Elliott Bay Brewery still beat Blue Moon hands down.

Comment by Doug — 12:35 am July 7, 2007 #

9. Yes, of course, Elliott Bay is yummy. But what we have publicly pined for is a true takeout place, not a sit-down restaurant where maybe you can wander in and find a way to get it to go. Is Blue Moon primarily sit-down or takeout? If the former, guess we will have to tamp down our excitement. We still stand by our love of California imports Fatburger and Carl’s Jr., both of which are close to Seattle now but still not close enough (Bellevue and Tacoma, respectively).

Comment by WSB — 12:47 am July 7, 2007 #

10. WSB…understood. There’s not much take-out competition in WS…McD’s and Jack in the ol’ Box…slim pickin’s…

Comment by Jan — 2:12 am July 7, 2007 #

11. We really need a Big Kahuna Burger… Now THAT’s a tasty burger…

Comment by SomeGuy — 7:43 am July 7, 2007 #

12. I miss Dave’s!

Mike

Comment by miws — 7:59 am July 7, 2007 #

13. I loved Groucho’s when I was a kid . . .

Comment by Kelly — 9:52 am July 7, 2007 #

14. miws, and kelly,

You have been here awhile, GREAT, someone knows REAL WORLD. Thank you.

Comment by mrwillow — 5:05 pm July 7, 2007 #

15. Dick’s would be a great addition, but not by Seacrest Marina. The only restaurants allowed are Salty’s and the Fish Cafe. I believe new zoning reg’s prohibit any new restaurant. Just what I heard….

Comment by scott — 5:32 pm July 7, 2007 #

16. It’s out of our boundary but Smokey’s on 128th S and 1st ave S should be a destination for folks seeking the classic take-out burger experience.

Comment by Bubba — 6:00 pm July 7, 2007 #

17. mrwillow,

Lifetime (almost 49 years) WS resident, except for a four year stint on the Kitsap Peninsula from 1969-1973! :)

Mike

Comment by miws — 8:41 pm July 7, 2007 #

18. Was Dave’s that good? I only went there one time, and it wasn’t enough to get me to return. There was nothing specifically wrong with it, but it just didn’t stand out.

I grew up also going to Groucho’s Broiled Burgers…. and Shakey’s for Pizza and Jo-Jo’s.

I do agree, WS could really use a good “take-out” burger joint. JaK’s burgers are awesome, so are Elliott Bay and Luna Park. But they don’t fill the bill for a good take out.

Comment by Native — 10:49 pm July 7, 2007 #

19. The thing I liked about Dave’s is the flavor of the burger’s reminded me of Wendy’s, which ever since I went to the one Downtown at 4th & Union (the first one in the Seattle area as far as I know) for my first time almost 30 years ago, became my favorite fast food burger. Wendy’s is known for their fresh, not frozen patties, and Dave’s seemed fresh as well.

What with the White Center Wendy’s closing up, probably pushing ten years ago now, and the Downtown one, maybe four or five years ago, (broke my heart, went there most evey payday for fifteen years when I last worked Downtown up until nine years ago) about the easiest one for me to get to by bus, is the Ballard one.

It’s about an hour ride, on the 22, and staying on as it switches to the 15 and heads to Ballard.

A buddy of mine was a big Groucho’s fan. To me the food was fine, but nothing to get excited about. I was almost more impressed by the restaurant’s theme.

Mike

Comment by miws — 5:55 am July 8, 2007 #

20. Anyone remember the burger place that took over Dairy Queen in the Lucky’s parking lot? I want to call it Gingham Burgers. Which is incorrect. Later it was a coffee roasting place, and it was torn down when “Queen Anne Thriftway” expanded.

Comment by Gina — 3:04 pm July 8, 2007 #

21. Gina…I remember that place…it was a pizza place, too, for a little while , I think…

Comment by Jan — 5:58 pm July 8, 2007 #

22. Jan …. it was a pizza place: Pizza Haven. I don’t remember the burger joint there. Amigo Taco was right around there too!

Smokey’s is great – and not too far of a drive.

I too loved Groucho’s when I was a kid. I’d take that over the Starbucks there anyday!

WSB- we’ve got enough California influence here, thanks! (but if a CA chain were to come, I would root for In-and-Out Burger).

Comment by eric — 11:37 am July 9, 2007 #

23. I was manager at Groucho’s from 1982-1985. Phil Robey and Dan Waters owned it. Dan passed away in 2000. He was the owner of Amigo Taco – there were two, Burger Express in Federal Way and Tili’s in Kent. Phil also owned Daly’s on Eastlake. Groucho’s was purchased by a family in 1984 and they tried hard but things weren’t the same. When I pass by the Starbucks on that corner – I think of the history – Groucho’s and long before – Gil’s. It’s too bad Groucho’s is no longer around! Great burgers and shakes!

Comment by Jim — 4:40 pm July 16, 2008 #