And the name is …

March 2, 2007 at 2:24 pm | In December 2006 windstorm | 8 Comments

The National Weather Service just announced the winning name in the contest (here’s a Times writeup) to name the December 2006 windstorm: The Hanukkah Eve Windstorm. We still think “Thursday Night Football Windstorm” would have been better. At least the winning name came from somebody in Burien, which was hit just about as hard as we were in WS.

1. Anti-semite conspiracists, start your engines!

Comment by some guy — 3:55 pm March 2, 2007 #

2. I’d have chosen the “Evergreen Storm” suggestion. The winning “Hanukkah Eve Storm” name is okay, but the dates of Hanakkah vary from year to year.

Okay, let’s see how many days pass before some radio host complains about the name as an attack on Christmas.

Comment by Forest — 4:14 pm March 2, 2007 #

3. I’m of Jewish descent (not practicing) and think that’s the dumbest name….someone attempting to be politically correct no doubt.

Comment by The House — 4:47 pm March 2, 2007 #

4. We thought “Hanukkah Howl” would be a good name for it, so I guess this is close, anyway!

Comment by herongrrrl — 5:42 pm March 2, 2007 #

5. Actuaally, there were 39 people who suggested the winning name and I was one of the 39 and I live in Alki! (I’m Jewish too – practicing – and I thought it was highly appropriate and PC-ness has nothing to do with it!)

Comment by sinijoma — 5:27 am March 3, 2007 #

6. I believe they drew the name out of a hat. I loved the guy’s suggestion on the Time article of naming it after his ex-wife! Pretty funny.

Comment by Rhonda Porter — 10:51 pm March 3, 2007 #

7. I don’t see a real need to debate this topic since the name is pointless and meaningless, but the storm had nothing to do with the holiday. Nor did 99.5 percent of the population relate the storm to the holiday. My guess is that nobody will ever call it by this name, instead siply calling it the “wind storm”. in retrospect, I could have used a dreidel to spin those 3 days my power was out.

Comment by The House — 7:50 am March 4, 2007 #

8. They drew the ultimate winner’s name out of a hat from the 39 who suggested the winning name – the actual name was selected by a group of National Weather Service employees…

Comment by sinijoma — 8:56 am March 4, 2007 #