Drivers beware

January 23, 2007 at 7:53 am | In Fairmount Springs, Transportation | 14 Comments

Some kind of accident had Fauntleroy blocked off most of the way between Cali and Alaska when we headed out a bit earlier this morning. Not sure if it’s cleared yet, but wanted to pass this along just in case.

1. I heard on NPR this morning that it was a car that ran into a utility pole and it is causing all sorts of problems.

Comment by Courtney — 8:02 am January 23, 2007 #

2. Before I moved to the Admiral area, I travelled down Fautleroy daily, to and from work.. as I am sure other readers can attest to, this is a somewhat dangerous road with people trying to turn left from cross streets like Raymond. I saw a lot of accidents in the 2 years I travelled this route.. Don’t know what can be done about it.. plugging more people into the area (condos/apartments) aint helpin’.

Comment by chet_desmond — 8:43 am January 23, 2007 #

3. I live on that corner- and it’s a scary place for traffic. It seems to be the default flat strech where the cars, hotrods and motorcycles all speed up to strech their legs (so to speak) before heading back into the curves. I’d love to see a speed bump installed…..

Comment by Dorcas — 10:40 am January 23, 2007 #

4. What we need at the five way intersection of Fauntleroy and Alaska is a big development…like a grocery store and dozens of condos … thay will improve the traffic! :-)

Comment by Robert — 10:57 am January 23, 2007 #

5. My man Robert! Amen brutha!

Comment by chet_desmond — 11:18 am January 23, 2007 #

6. Let’s turn the intersection of Fauntleroy and Alaska into a traffic circle, put up some webcams, and then CHARGE admission to view the hourly smashups!

Comment by Robert — 11:26 am January 23, 2007 #

7. Was that why I heard that helicopter at 6:00 this morning circling for half an hour?

Comment by Steve Edwardsen — 11:37 am January 23, 2007 #

8. Does anyone know why the West Seattle bridge was closed last night? The police had it blocked off at 99 South around 11pm.

Comment by Christopher Boffoli — 2:08 pm January 23, 2007 #

9. That makes the third Monday in a row I’ve seen “police activity” on the east-bound lanes of the Bridge. I’ve never seen any information regarding the closures.

Comment by Lauren — 4:22 pm January 23, 2007 #

10. Actually this time it was the westbound lane. I was coming back from downtown and could not get home. I doubled back to the surface streets and there was a long freight train stalled and blocking the road for 30 minutes. It was the longest drive from downtown to West Seattle that I can remember.

Comment by Christopher Boffoli — 7:22 pm January 23, 2007 #

11. That same police helicopter is circling California and Raymond now. Are we possibly in the training circuit?

Comment by Steve Edwardsen — 11:42 pm January 23, 2007 #

12. I’m at California and Raymond too, Steve – been wondering what was up with that helicopter…

Comment by Vickie — 11:44 pm January 23, 2007 #

13. We are at SW WIllow and california- seems to be somekind of police activity just east of us that’s related to the helicopter…but can’t find any news of what’s going on

Comment by Rob — 12:47 am January 24, 2007 #

14. The helicopter escapade, mystery of our modern age. Who will unloom this unknowable tapestry?

Comment by Steve Edwardsen — 9:10 pm January 24, 2007 #